GTD and (or versus) Log/Journal/Diary

Discussion in 'PUBLIC: Discuss the GTD Methodology' started by AFG, Sep 24, 2018.

?

Do you keep a log / journal / diary, in addition to GTD's lists? If so, how many pages per day?

1. 0 - I don't keep a log/journal/diary

27.3%
  2. 1 - circa 1 page of log/journal/diary per day, e.g. in a day planner page

63.6%
  3. 10 - circa 10 pages of log/journal/diary per day

9.1%
  4. 100 or more pages of log/journal/diary per dayt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AFG

AFG Registered

Very. Several thousand lines of elisp org-mode customization. Much coloring and styles, custom tags, but also a few thousand lines of extended functionality.

I love org-mode (and emacs), and in a text-only world Linux/Windows I would use just those. Emacs user since the 1980s.

Unfortunately,

a) I depend on being able to save screen snips into my log, and never found a good way to do that in emacs. Found scripts that would save clipboard image to a file, and paste a file: link - but this breaks when org-mode items are moved to a different directory. Never managed to get all the hooks needed to move the image object, and/or rewrite the links. Really want the .org file to be in a tar archive, with images in same tar archive - archives are just folders that you can use file based

b) I know of no good way to use org-mode on a phone. I tried https://orgmode.org/manual/MobileOrg.html . I even tried running emacs on my (then) Android phone. Neither worked well.

c) when I switched from org-mode to OneNote, I got the nice feature of OCR / text search within tge bitmap images. Not available in emacs/org-mode, as far as I know.

d) now, I want to start using my watch for capture. Using Apple's Reminders app, or Just Press Record.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  2. AFG

AFG Registered

Sounds very cool. I did much of this back when I used a paper log - even the cute "change a dot into a > or < or ..." trick.

3. petdr

petdr Registered

Not sure if you've seen Orgzly . It's good for displaying orgmode data on the phone. I use the widget searches to display agenda etc... It's not good for data entry but it's great for making the orgmode info viewable on the phone.

I've been trying Termux on my Android phone. I can install emacs and run orgmode on it. It works very well, complete with the added CTRL buttons and shortcuts. The downside is I have not figured a way to access my org files in Dropbox. But you sounds more tech savvy so maybe that's not a problem for you.

Although I guess all that's moot since the screen capture seems to be the main hold-up for you. I save all my screen captures, docs, etc.. in a dedicated folder in my virtual file cabinet and attach screen captures, docs, etc... from there. I do not move or change names of files; if needed, I make a second copy and note as such in the edited file name when I move them. I try to keep it simple; I've read the ways to sync or update the attachment but that sounded above my basic skills :)

AFG likes this.