• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

GTD and Sales

  • Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
A

Anonymous

Guest
Wondering if anyone in sales uses Outlook with GTD? I need to track conversations, meetings etc. with everyone I meet or talk with. I have been a long ACT user, but it's email stinks and it is starting to kill my productivity. I have been testing the waters of GTD and Outlook. I would like to hear from Salespeople who are using this comination and how has it worked for you.

Thanks,

Doug
 
I am a sales manager. I have found GTD, and in particular, the Outlook plugin, really helpful in staying on top of things. I have set up my @ folders so they are unique to my requirements - I don't use @computer, @phone, and things like that.

However, we also use a CRM program (customer relationship management) at my company. I make sure I log all correspondance with customers and prospects in this database. I manage my tasks and projects using GTD. However, because we have so many sales leads and opportunities to track, I don't make each of them a GTD project, even though they really are - that is what CRM is for.

If you do not need to use a centralized database in your sales, then I would highly recommend that you look at a free account with Salesforce.com. You can sync everything up with Outlook, and it will blow ACT away. Some features may not be available in their free version, but if I didn't have to use a centralized database, I'd even pay for a single account with Salesforce.

Good luck!
 
CRM

I dont think GTD is ever the sole sales management tool. I'd have 1000 someday/maybe's !!!

Question is what makes it to your context and project lists. In my case its the active accounts that will bring the biggest payoff.

I think its a great practice to take all of your clients and consider where you stand with each and what it will take to move things forward. This can be a good staging tool or trigger list to decide when to move something into your active GTD system.

I've just incorporated this (well, to be honest I am still incorporating it) and I think it is a good tool for GTD/Sales types.

I find we salespeople can spend way too much time getting ready to sell. GTD can be another excuse for doing that if you let it.
 
Top