GTD capture tool for busy professionals?

SteelcaseGTDr

Bob Hendriksen
As another mentioned: Microsoft ToDo will do most of this. Integrates well with Outlook. You just flag e-mail and it puts it into a list (that you have to enable) called “Flagged Emails”. I try to toggle over immediacy and drag it into my Inbox but I also have it in my WR checklist to check. Use this feature daily.
Since ToDo runs on all my devices I capture into this constantly, mostly voice dictate on the go.
Only issue with ToDo is you can’t do shared lists outside your org but you can now toggle fairly easily between accounts so just set up an alternate account (mine is “bobssharedlists@outlook.com” where I keep our @Errands and our @FamilyWR etc.
It all works pretty nice. (And I was NOT a fan of ToDo when they first launched after killed the AMAZING (RIP) Wunderlist but eventually they have made it pretty sweet now).
Apparently you can integrate with Teams nicely as well but I don’t do it so can’t speak to it.
One of our IT guys figured out all the cool integration schemes so email me and I’ll send it to yah rhendrik@steelcase.com
Also. Using hashtags to link projects on Project to next actions on context lists is AWESOME! Use that for sure!

mksilk2

Registered
Using hashtags to link projects on Project to next actions
Agree. This is a lovely part of ToDo. In my weekly review I simply click on the hashtag of a project and see if there are any actions linked to it. Some will be completed that I simply tick off, or there might be projects without NA. So I a, prompted to do something with that project. Move it to somedayy/maybe, complete it, or ensure it has a NA.

I also create a mindmap of my projects for a visual reference tool. Separate to ToDo. I find that helps me link them to my various HoF.

Sarahsuccess

Registered
Hey folks, wanted to see if you guys have had a similar experience before. Basically, I have a bunch of different inboxes where I receive a lot of tasks in a bunch of different formats.
  1. Email inbox
  2. Company chat
  3. WhatsApp chat (from customers)
  4. Clickup (company tasklist manager)
  5. Personal to-dos (todoist)
For my process today, I use todoist as my capture tool. I first breakdown my todos into smaller tasks before I schedule/work on them, but that ends up fragmenting the information all over the place. There have been occasions where I have missed things, which is frustrating. So I'm looking for a tool to connect it all.

My ideal solution would be a capture tool that is connected to all 5 above "inboxes" and be the one command central, where I can link and check off each items. In the case of email and WhatsApp, I'd ideally be able to link directly from the task to the email thread or conversations. I've looked around but haven't found anything that quite matches what I need. Would you guys know if there is such a solution out there?

I've been thinking about buildling a tool to solve my own problem. But I wanted to see if there is any interest out there for a similar tool as well, and collect a few more usecases. Let me know if you would be willing to chat.

Cheers,
Jason
Hi
You might want to try Asana.

You can easily forward both emails and WhatsApp messages to Asana.
(As far as I know it does not link to the original email)
I'm not sure about Todoist, but you might want to consider using Asana as your capture tool instead of todoist.
I'm not familiar with Clickup, but quick Google search told me that you can import Click up Projects to Asana.
I'm not sure whether or not this is as seamless and easy as email and Whatsapp.
(& of course I have no idea about your company chat)

I recently started using Asana as my capture, clarify and organize tool.
There was a little bit of a learning curve for me to learn the hierarchy of Asana (Organization, teams, projects (sections), tasks (subsections), subtask), but the Asana tutorials are excellent. Now that I understand Asana and have figure out how to use it with GTD, I find it to be a powerful tool that is simple to use.
I like the way I can view my tasks in Projects view or context view. It simplifies and streamlines weekly reviews.
I think Asana is an ideal "command central". What are your thoughts about it?

Hope this helps,
Sarah

Gardener

Registered
For this exact reason, I always use a cheap spiral-bound notepad so that it doesn't "hurt" to tear off pages. I have more than once bought a nice notebook that I ended up giving away to my wife because it was too nice to write in...
Me, too, except I use spiral Rollbahn notebooks because (1) printed with a grid instead of just lines, (2) nice hard covers, (3) elastic to keep it closed, (4) the pages are both spiral AND perforated, so if I save a page I can remove the annoying spiral confetti. Just the right middle ground between cheap and expensive notebooks.

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
Me, too, except I use spiral Rollbahn notebooks because (1) printed with a grid instead of just lines, (2) nice hard covers, (3) elastic to keep it closed, (4) the pages are both spiral AND perforated, so if I save a page I can remove the annoying spiral confetti. Just the right middle ground between cheap and expensive notebooks.
Sounds like a great solution to me - nothing wrong with proper tools! :)
It seems we are maybe using them a bit differently, though... If I am to keep something from my capture tool, I type it into Notion, but if I am making more serious notes in the analog realm, I use my Rocketbook for the tactile sensation - before digitizing it with the app that goes with it.

Gardener

Registered
Sounds like a great solution to me - nothing wrong with proper tools! :)
It seems we are maybe using them a bit differently, though... If I am to keep something from my capture tool, I type it into Notion, but if I am making more serious notes in the analog realm, I use my Rocketbook for the tactile sensation - before digitizing it with the app that goes with it.
I should have been clearer--I never save a page for long. But I do pull it out before I do anything with it, and if I deal with it for even three minutes, the confetti annoys me. :)

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
I should have been clearer--I never save a page for long. But I do pull it out before I do anything with it, and if I deal with it for even three minutes, the confetti annoys me. :)
Ah - then we're on the same page (pun intended)! :D