GTD Connect: Am I missing something?

cfoley

Registered
For me, the realisation came from a delve into minimalism: Removing things from my life that add no value, be they objects, apps, subscriptions, habits, or anything else. Dynamic management is seemingly less simple but overall it leads me to easier decision making. In reality, most months I neither add nor remove subscriptions but having permission to do so is incredibly freeing. In particular, I can:
  • Be curious enough to try something for a month or two just to see how I like it.
  • Base my decision to subscribe on the value offered without being influenced by the weight of other subscriptions.
  • Base my decision to unsubscribe on a shift in my attention to something else, without it having to relate to unsatisfactory quality.
Other subscriptions include blogs, podcasts, cars, rented accommodation and employment contracts*.

* Edit: Of course, I refer to changing jobs, not firing people!

Last edited:

OF user

Registered
@mettlerr In general, I would agree with you but a year in GTD is a long time. You can go for weeks, just browsing through content and feeling like you are browsing Twitter or Facebook somewhat mindlessly. Then, you stumble upon something that really makes you think about your own practice of GTD and inspires you to refine something in your own system, or as @sholden mentioned, you remember something in a study guide or video or past training, and you look it up, and it reminds you that you need to do certain things better in your practice. These gems are usually so valuable that you renew your subscription when the time comes. Finally, the GTDConnect offering is run by good people. John (and his wife Kelly before that) are good people who care about the "product" and work with you to make the product better and of higher value.

Even with all this, I cannot honestly defend the subscription price as value to everyone. You have to make that decision on your own.

mettlerr

Registered
Thank you all for your inputs, I appreciate it greatly! It's always good to hear other viewpoints and opinions, and maybe there would have been something which would persuade me to jump into the subscription.

At the moment, for now, I don't think I will take out a GTD Connect subscription. That may change in the future, of course! I am quite content with the book, audiobook and the public forums and podcasts. Just today an episode came out which is normally only available inside GTD Connect. As GTD (the methodology) does not change with time, it does not matter much that it probably was an older episode. It was fun and valuable to listen to anyway. Together with much other online content of different people, available for free, I think I am set.
Finally, the GTDConnect offering is run by good people. John (and his wife Kelly before that) are good people who care about the "product" and work with you to make the product better and of higher value.
I very much agree with that, I had the pleasure of a video chat with John Forrister! Always good to know that GTD Connect is in good hands, which means it will still be here when I decide to be part of it in the future.

Again, thank you all!

apopp27

Registered
Thank you all for your inputs, I appreciate it greatly! It's always good to hear other viewpoints and opinions, and maybe there would have been something which would persuade me to jump into the subscription.

At the moment, for now, I don't think I will take out a GTD Connect subscription. That may change in the future, of course! I am quite content with the book, audiobook and the public forums and podcasts. Just today an episode came out which is normally only available inside GTD Connect. As GTD (the methodology) does not change with time, it does not matter much that it probably was an older episode. It was fun and valuable to listen to anyway. Together with much other online content of different people, available for free, I think I am set.

I very much agree with that, I had the pleasure of a video chat with John Forrister! Always good to know that GTD Connect is in good hands, which means it will still be here when I decide to be part of it in the future.

Again, thank you all!
Whatever you’re missing I think I must be too! I’ve just signed up for the 14 day trial to try and find out. I’ve been using GTD successfully for 10+ years now but have never signed up for GTD Connect for much the same reasons you’ve mentioned. Maybe it’s different in the US but $29 a month is more than I pay for my iPhone contract which seems a lot for a web forum.

KristalPooler

Registered
I have signed up for GTD Connect. I do not think that I have access to the GTD forum. It looks the same as it did when I used the public forum.
I paid for the entire year up front and I am questioning my purchase. I have been a GTD dabbler since 2006.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
I have signed up for GTD Connect. I do not think that I have access to the GTD forum. It looks the same as it did when I used the public forum.
I pastalid for the entire year up front and I am questioning my purchase. I have been a GTD dabbler since 2006.
Hi Kristal, I have just upgraded your forum account. If you refresh the forum home page I think you'll now see the members-only forums as well as the public forums.

Nixon

Registered
My secrets for subscriptions: 1 place a date on the calendar to cancel the subscription. 2 If the period will expire at the end of the paid term instead of the cancellation date, I cancel immediately and repurchase if I want it again. there was a time in my life when I was not getting value from this subscription and I canceled it for a while and then came back.

Maybe one of these ideas would be helpful to you if you decide that you want to have access to the subscriber information for a while. I appreciate getting my information straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

Jared Caron

Nursing leader; GTD enthusiast
I must say, in my personal opinion, I couldn’t disagree more with this one statement. Just by paying the GTD Connect fee and posting in the non-public section of the forum does not automatically make the question superior. I could agree with, that on a non-public forum, the questions are more focused, you get less spam, and mostly only people who are invested in the topic. But even the last part of this is debatable in my opinion, as this is not Reddit, but a forum specifically for GTD, so you would mostly get people who are interested in the topic, at the very least.

If one wants to keep chatter or spam out, then it’s usually better to not offer a public section at all, although you might miss interesting topics from people who are not willing to pay a fee, just to have access to the non-public section of a forum, whatever else they might get with that fee.
I think that would be true if the statement was a simple generalization, but I believe @mcogilvie was speaking from personal experience rather than generalizing. I certainly have found the connect forums to be a superior exchange.