GTD Connect is here!

cyberscribe

Senior Associate, Next Action Associates
Bandwidth

Hi Doug,

Can you watch videos on YouTube and Google Video? We use a similar technology on Connect. If you can't get video there, you won't be able to get video on Connect. But if you can, there's a good chance you will be able to see the videos of David's seminars, coaching, interviews and more. Most likely, you will be able to get the audio content just fine as well -- hours and hours of great stuff by now -- with even a "modest" broadband connection. :)

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Robert

BrianK

Registered
Any other reviews or comments from the Connected?

I'm seeing a lot of people who have joined. Any further insights, reviews, opinions, etc. now that it's been a couple of weeks?

darlakbrown

Registered
Loving it!

I joined a couple of weeks ago. I am having a great time with GTD Connect. I feel more inspired about my system and am learning specific tips to stay connected and more productive.

I especially love the Intention Journal; it is such a creative use of email and very simple to use. I am always surprised and delighted to receive the emails I've sent myself (Back to the Future) from the Intention Journal and it seems to help me check in.

I have also found the 2 minute videos to be helpful... very specific examples of how David Allen works. The longer audio podcasts I listen to in the car.

Also, it's nice to have David Allen and the GTD staff respond so quickly to feedback and questions.

For me thus far the benefits far outweigh the cost.

T

thoppa

I'm a fairly new member as well, and, so far, it's a great program.

There's already lots of content. I've been trying to absorb it all, and I haven't gotten through it yet. Especially in any meaninful way.

The best part, for me, is it's rather like having a coach, but not a drill sergent. I'm constantly reminding of best practices, and encouraging myself to stick with the system (I *am* paying for it now). The DavidCo staff is very responsive. Last night I was doing some late night posting (about midnight central time), and when I got up this morning, there were several responses. Now I know they are a few hours back, but I call that super-impressive.

The tools work great. Honestly, I haven't played too much with the intention journal, but so far it looks like a simple and great tool.

Finally, if you have any respect for web development, you'll love the connect website. It's quite nice.

cyberscribe

Senior Associate, Next Action Associates
Hey, Thanks

thoppa said:
... if you have any respect for web development, you'll love the connect website.

Thank you. A small band of very smart, talented people put that together. We all worked long and hard to try to make it reflect the elegance of the company and message -- both aesthetically and functionally. Glad to hear that came across for you.

altruologist

Registered
GTD Connect

GTD Connect sure sounds like a great offering from the feedback I read- I bought the Getting Things Done book in 2001. I had to have it ordered from the United States and paid $61 for one copy of the hard cover. I have been a practitioner ever since in both paper and electronic methodologies; sometimes flipping between the two. I have become 'black belt' by criteria noted by David and this forum. Interesting that during this period I was also CEO of another firm that sold a different time managment approach; I was able to blend both philosophies. I would really like to join GTD Connect and I do not doubt the value; but for folks here in Australia the monthly charge is $63. It reminds me of the $52,000 quoted three years ago for David to visit and do a seminar down here, (excl airfare and accommodation). I respect his work greatly but the sense of proportion is a bit much in this supposedly 'globalised' world. How much is too much?

kewms

Registered
As I recently put it to a prospective client in China, my life is denominated in US dollars. No matter how excessive my fees might seem by Chinese standards, they are what I need to earn. I suspect DA is in the same situation.

Katherine

N

Nick Lascelles

I have just joined in the last week and been suprised at the amount of great content. I am waiting to see how much new material is added each month before I decide on whether it is worth the money. The exchange rate NZ to US dollars is pretty bad, so membership is an expensive exercise for a Kiwi (about $73 at present). However, I would pay more than that for a monthly coaching session with DA or staff, and Connect certainly fulfils that function to some degree.

I think that DA and co need to be careful not to present Connect as an exclusive club or with any elitism, as I see a few posts indicating some resentment. I think DA has been generous with free content and support to date, and that seems to be continuing. Connect is a logical step to allow people to buy more content and access to him and staff.

Max

Registered
Nick Lascelles said:
I think that DA and co need to be careful not to present Connect as an exclusive club or with any elitism, as I see a few posts indicating some resentment.

Why not? I more resent the fact that it is marketed as open to anyone than the reality that it is for select club of people. Sure anyone is free to join, but the average Joe doesn't spend $500 a year on productivy improvement (be it through a club, a seminar, etc).

This thread's also starting to sound like an advert. I don't have $500 and my company isn't going to flip the bill, so I for one am tired of hearing about it.

BTW, I also understand the flip side of this. The program gives those that need it and can afford it great value.

Max

Registered
Reccomendation

The badges are cool touch on the forum to show off the status of Staff and the Connected, but could you please reduce the size of them. The are just way to big in my opinion. I think smaller ones would look more professional.

TesTeq

Registered
Or design badges for non-Staff, non-Connected users.

Max said:
The badges are cool touch on the forum to show off the status of Staff and the Connected, but could you please reduce the size of them. The are just way to big in my opinion. I think smaller ones would look more professional.
Or design badges for non-Staff, non-Connected users to reflect their status (Member, Senior Member, Mind Like Water).

Max

Registered
TesTeq said:
Or design badges for non-Staff, non-Connected users to reflect their status (Member, Senior Member, Mind Like Water).

But that would defeat the purpose of the marketing purpose of them.

TesTeq

Registered
Usability again.

I think this is again the usability problem with vertical scrolling that I've mentioned elsewhere. For short posts like this the post contents occupies less than half of the post area height. Big badges make it worse.

Lisa Peake

Registered

Thanks to all for your comments about the size of the "Avatars" (as I have learned that is the technical term for these badges). We'll certainly take that into consideration.

It's fantastic to hear from some members who are finding value in the site, and I hope we can continue to support the entire GTD community here in the forums in a creative and intelligent manner.

Best,
Lisa

J

JDC

Unfortunately, I think that for me it would become my favorite way to procrastinate. Rather than actually processing my Inbox, I could discuss processing my Inbox, read about processing my Inbox, listen to DA talk about processing my Inbox....

I think that for the time being what I most need is time working on my stuff, but I'm putting a note in my tickler file to reevaluate later.

darlakbrown

Registered
Too funny

This is a funny post. Not sure if it was intended that way. I wasn't sure if you were putting the GTD connect idea in your tickler or the idea of actually doing your work. I think it's the first but the idea of the latter tickled me.

I do enjoy learning more tips and interacting with others who are "winning at the game of life." ... Connected or non-connected. Either way. Lots to learn in both forums.:)

Lucky you though -- fully motivated and raring to go!

Max

Registered
I'll answer my own question. I apparently do not have Flash 8 installed on my computer at work. The unfortunate thing is that instead of seeing that there is content that I need a plugin for, I just see a banner graphic. Bad design in my mind. PS, the amount of motion in the interface is a bit much.