GTD Connect on the IPad

Helen_42

Registered
Do you know how I can get the videos to work on the iPad? I travel a lot so was hoping when stuck in hotels to catch up with GTD.

I am sure there must be others like me?

Thanks

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Hi Helen,

You won't be able to play GTD Connect videos on your iPad if you are trying to play them through the website. That is because Apple prohibits Flash, which is what our video player (and millions of others in the world!) are built on. So sorry. Many of us use Apple devices too. We are working on a solution to make the media playable for Apple users on the website.

In the meantime, we recommend the podcast for Apple users: https://secure.davidco.com/connect/podcast-howto.php

That will automatically go into iTunes for you and you can listen or watch within iTunes.

Hope that helps!

pinkmouse

Registered
Videos on iPad

There are a few third party browsers that support flash on the iPad. I use one called Puffin and I'm able to watch the videos. It was only a couple of dollars and well worth it in my opinion. You can download it from the app store.
HTH

Laura

Ted_Martin

Registered
No iPad support makes evaluating connect harder

Hi Laura,

The fact that I can't access most of the connect content (podcast/itunes links are disabled in trial and it doesn't work streaming on iPad) honestly makes it a lot harder to evaluate connect - I do almost all of my reading and reviewing on the iPad and try to reserve the big computer as a dedicated work context (both mentally and in my tasks) - to the point that I rarely use our old computer at home and am nearly 100% on my iPad.

I don't want to sound too "woe is me with my fancy technology" but I did want to point out that the dependance on flash and blocking iTunes changes connect for people who do a lot from iPads or iPhones.

kelstarrising;93315 said:
Hi Helen,

You won't be able to play GTD Connect videos on your iPad if you are trying to play them through the website. That is because Apple prohibits Flash, which is what our video player (and millions of others in the world!) are built on. So sorry. Many of us use Apple devices too. We are working on a solution to make the media playable for Apple users on the website.

In the meantime, we recommend the podcast for Apple users: https://secure.davidco.com/connect/podcast-howto.php

That will automatically go into iTunes for you and you can listen or watch within iTunes.

Hope that helps!

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Hi Ted,

I wanted to hop in and say it's a current research project for me and the GTD Connect design team to make GTD Connect compatible with iPads and iPhones and better overall mobile compatibility. We looking for a way to do that that without having to recode our entire media library, which is not feasible for us. An HMTL5 player is the most likely direction we will go with this.

I am hopeful we can make some serious progress on this. Many of us on staff are iPad users too, so not being able to play media on the iPad is something we are eager to make possible for our personal use too.

Kelly

andy88488

Registered
kelstarrising;95086 said:
Hi Ted,

I wanted to hop in and say it's a current research project for me and the GTD Connect design team to make GTD Connect compatible with iPads and iPhones and better overall mobile compatibility. We looking for a way to do that that without having to recode our entire media library, which is not feasible for us. An HMTL5 player is the most likely direction we will go with this.

I am hopeful we can make some serious progress on this. Many of us on staff are iPad users too, so not being able to play media on the iPad is something we are eager to make possible for our personal use too.

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

A big +1 for this request. I'd love to be able to watch the GTD videos at my leisure, on my iPad. I really think that Davidco is missing a bet if you guys don't get on this. Being unable to watch on the iPad is soooo '90's!

Andy

frazierlaw

Registered
Flipboard

I use Flipboard to view forums, but since the members only section of the forums is not accessible through Flipboard (or any RSS feed), I use iCab. It works great.

Authentication is not a function readily built into iPad apps to help with forum surfing. As Kelley would say, it's mostly a "consumption" feature on the iPad. Any work in the future in correcting or easing use of GTD Connect Forums on the iPad in the future?

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
For Video:
I am currently working on a project with our IT team and an external IT consultant to make our player (currently plays only FLVs) HTML5 compatible, to be viewable on Apple devices. It's a massive project, as it's more than just taking an FLV file and playing it. Hundreds of media clips need to be recoded. So lots of going on behind the scenes, and I'm hopeful to be able to announce and launch something soon!

For Forums:
I believe we'd need to make the GTD Connect site mobile friendly. That's not short-term, but also in the queue.

Barb

Registered
Ipad

I may not be typing long responses here on my iPad, but that has more to do with lack of time here on vacation. I'm keeping up just fine!

ArtsGTD

Registered
Enjoy!

Barb;97043 said:
I may not be typing long responses here on my iPad, but that has more to do with lack of time here on vacation. I'm keeping up just fine!

Hope you are having a fabulous vacation Barb!

vbampton

Administrator
kelstarrising;97014 said:
For Forums:
I believe we'd need to make the GTD Connect site mobile friendly. That's not short-term, but also in the queue.

I don't find the forums a problem on ipad, but there's a free vbulletin plugin called Tapatalk which may help, depending on how it's tied into your main membership site.

HopefulGTDer

Registered
Video Workaround

Although it's not ideal, the workaround that I use to watch Connect webinars and videos on my iPad is to download the video versions of webinars onto my computer through iTunes, sync, then, use the search feature on iPad to see the video versions, which for whatever reason I couldn't seem to find when I looked in the video app when I first got my iPad; I see them just fine now, so maybe that was just user error. This approach requires a little planning ahead, but works well enough.

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Great, thanks for sharing.

And the team is making good progress on the Apple upgrade to the Media Player. It's a massive project, but I hope to have something to announce on that soon.

Kelly

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Howdy!

We are ready to do a "soft launch" of GTD Connect media playing on the iPhone and iPad. We would love your help in testing this. Simply try to play any media (audio or video) on your iPhone or iPad that's in the Audio & Video library.https://secure.davidco.com/connect/multimedia/

Please report back here or shoot me an email if you have any problems.

Thanks so much!

Barb

Registered
Jumped all over it!

I've tried 3 webinars and David's "Do Lecture" so far. I didn't watch them in their entirety, but enough to see that IT WORKS!

Now I can take you outside with me on days where tornadoes aren't blowing us around, like today. Thanks for doing this, GTD Team! I know a lot of hard work went into this from a LOT of people!

Pontussorlin

Registered
vbampton;97071 said:
I don't find the forums a problem on ipad, but there's a free vbulletin plugin called Tapatalk which may help, depending on how it's tied into your main membership site.

I'll second the suggestion with Tapatalk. That would really speed up reading on the forum. I don't think there is a big project activating Tapatalk on the site, either. The main thing seems to be to tell Tapatalk that you want to be listed in their forum "catalog". http://tapatalk.com/activate_tapatalk.php

BTW Victoria, I really enjoyed Kelly's interview with you.