GTD for the mac ?

U

Unregistered

Hello, Is there any type of GTD software for mac os x ?.

Geoff

tfadams

Registered
There are quite a few outlining/information management programs out there for the Mac. These sites will either answer most questions you have, or get to the right place.

http://merlin.blogs.com/43folders/

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/43Folders

Also, look into Office 2004 for the Mac. The Project Center works really well with Entourage ("similar" to Outlook). In addition, Entourage and MS Exchange work pretty well together which is a major factor for me as I am probably the only Mac user in my office.

shan150

Registered
I have been using Marketcircle's Daylite and so far so good. I find it easier to use than Entourage and really like the task functions that allow me to determine Next Actions.

Mardo

Registered
Mac

I looked at Daylite and I think its a terrific piece of software with a committed and very helpful company.
When I had to make a decision Daylite was still ironing out the rough spots so I went with Entourage. The project center has been wonderful for me. I have my list of open projects. I archive the closed ones and they are a click away. When I open up the separate projects i have the next action listed on that project. All of the appointments for that project are there and when I click to contacts all of the contacts are there.
I catagorized the tasks using standard GTD @home @office @ phone etc. I can see the complete list of all to do's by catagory. There is a great note section in each project and I can link all of the computer documents that are related to the project to the specific project. All in all its simple easy and very GTD friendly.

U

Unregistered

I'm using Notebook

I'm using Circus Ponie's Notebook (www.circusponies.com) for most of the planning and list making along with iCal.

Circus ponie's webpage has a forum about GTD.

U

Unregistered

Mardo said:
I looked at Daylite and I think its a terrific piece of software with a committed and very helpful company.
When I had to make a decision Daylite was still ironing out the rough spots so I went with Entourage. The project center has been wonderful for me. I have my list of open projects. I archive the closed ones and they are a click away. When I open up the separate projects i have the next action listed on that project. All of the appointments for that project are there and when I click to contacts all of the contacts are there.
I catagorized the tasks using standard GTD @home @office @ phone etc. I can see the complete list of all to do's by catagory. There is a great note section in each project and I can link all of the computer documents that are related to the project to the specific project. All in all its simple easy and very GTD friendly.

When you are away from your computer, how do you take with your Entourage info? Paper? Palm? iPod? I like Entourage too - but haven't found a way to carry it with me when not in front of my laptop. Thanks for any advice!

Mardo

Registered
Entourage won't download the project list into the palm, but it will sync perfectly all the appointments, next actions by catagory @office, @phone etc and addresses with the palm.
That's the data I need when I am away from the office and not carrying a laptop.

U

Unregistered

Mardo,
HOW does Entourage sync to the Palm? This is news to me. Do you just use HotSync or is iSync involved? Thanks so much for your info!
Claudia

U

Unregistered

Mardo,
HOW does Entourage sync to the Palm? This is news to me. Do you just use HotSync or is iSync involved? Thanks so much for your info!
Claudia

mcogilvie

Registered
Entourage <=> Palm

Unregistered said:
Mardo,
Claudia

Entourage 2004 comes with conduits for the Palm (but not PPC :) ). Details are in the help file, and the conduits work with both the Palm Hotsync manager or with the Missing Sync from Mark/Space.

D

davegerlits

GTD using Entourage

I was glad I looked through all the threads in Gear, Gadgets, Software, and Toys before I posted my question.

I'm using Outlook at the office, Entourage at home, and a Palm Zire 71 that plays well with both. I can discuss how I got my Palm to talk to my Mac in a private thread if desired, but what I really wanted to know, from folks who have done it, is how you implement the GTD methodology using Entourage.

I can see that the most expensive and highest risk way would be to buy the $50 plug in, install it on my Outlook PC at work, then hope that everything transferred through my Palm to my Mac.

The least expensive but nearly as sketchy way would be to try and figure out my own system myself in Entourage, then see what tranfers to my Outlook.

I'm thinking that the best approach might be to buy the $10 eBook about implementing GTD in Outlook, adapt it to Entourage, and tweak it for Outlook if necessary.

Is there someone who has successfully implemented GTD using Entourage that would like to share how they did it?

tfadams

Registered
I haven't found a way to filter and sort Tasks in Entourage exactly like you can in Outlook. You can have different views by category (context), but there isn't a way to have them all display on one page categorized under each context. (@Office, @Home, @Waiting For, @Agendas, etc.). I really like the Project Center in Entourage, but I miss how configurable Outlook is.

G

geekinthegarden

Action Tracker 1.0 for FileMaker Pro 7

A simple FileMaker Pro database for tracking projects and next actions.

Update: I've just added an "opener" database for users of QuickSilver or Launchbar. The "New Action" database can be opened via QS or LB and its only purpose is to run a script to create a new action and then close itself. If Action Tracker is not open it will be opened by this action. Keep these two files in the same folder. You can add an alias to the New Action database to your desktop, dock, etc. for quick and easy access for creating new actions. Also, feel free to delete the "Picture 1" and "text shadow styles" files as they are included as reference files for the example records included with the database.

Note: This should also work on Filemaker 7 for Windows though the "Jump to iCal" button will not work.

Download and more info.

Requirement: FileMakerPro 7.

G

geekinthegarden

action tracker updated to 1.1

just to let folks know, i've updated action tracker to 1.1. the most significant change was the addition of contact management. other improvements include major layout changes, new layouts, new and refined scripts, and bug fixes.

more info and download

for those that give it a try i welcome suggestions and critique.

mcogilvie

Registered
Entourage <=> Outlook: don't count on it

davegerlits said:
I can see that the most expensive and highest risk way would be to buy the $50 plug in, install it on my Outlook PC at work, then hope that everything transferred through my Palm to my Mac.
The extra fields on Outlook tasks DO NOT transfer to Entourage, so you would lose any linking of tasks and projects.

davegerlits said:
The least expensive but nearly as sketchy way would be to try and figure out my own system myself in Entourage, then see what tranfers to my Outlook.
Only those fields directly supported by Palm will transfer, and even then there are aberrations. For example, Entourage will not sync Datebook item categories, because categories were not supported by the original Palm datebook app (although the category field was actually present).

davegerlits said:
I'm thinking that the best approach might be to buy the $10 eBook about implementing GTD in Outlook, adapt it to Entourage, and tweak it for Outlook if necessary.
I recommend it. You won't get any super-duper software trick, but you will probably learn a lot about the GTD process.

G

geekinthegarden

Action Tracker updated again... 1.2

just to let folks know, i've updated action tracker to 1.2 and have added a user manual. the most significant change was the addition of a notes module, project file management. also, many other improvements include major layout changes, new layouts, new and refined scripts, and bug fixes.

more info and download

for those that give it a try i welcome suggestions and critique.

G

geekinthegarden

Action Tracker stand-alone app

I've uploaded a runtime version of Action Tracker which you can download here:
http://mediaco-op.org/Action_Tracker_Runtime.zip

This can be run without FileMaker Pro... it is a stand alone app.

I've tested this on my computer and it works fine. I'm not sure though how well the Automator Action for the "New iCal" event will work for you. If you have Mac 10.4 Tiger I'm guessing it will work fine as long as you leave the Automator Action in the same directory as the Action Tracker 1.2 file.

I'd appreciate any opinions on the app as well as a confirmation that it is all working. I'm new to FileMaker Developer and in fact this is my first Runtime solution.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have,

Denny