• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

GTD in healthcare - request for questions/issues

  • Thread starter Thread starter tej
  • Start date Start date
T

tej

Guest
Serendipitously, I may (or may not) be chosen to participate in a conference call with David in the upcoming weeks. He'll be giving a one day seminar at my workplace, a large healthcare organization (hint: hospital) in about a month.

I believe the conference call is to discuss issues unique to implementing GTD in a healthcare workplace.

So I'm opening the floor: if your work in healthcare, what issues/problems do you have in getting things done, or implementing GTD?

If I get a chance to ask these questions, I'll post the answers back to this board
 
Hospital - highly varied work environment

I find many GTD-related challenges working in the hospital (MD). Different days bring different support system constraints, and working in multiple environments complicates GTD "collecting" and matching context to NA.

System Mechanics:
When I'm in the operating room, only a PDA, small notebook, or 3x5 cards fit in scrub-suit pockets. I'm not a fan of PDAs for data entry (but they are great for clinical databases.)

Other in-hospital meetings would benefit from the access to documents and data entry on a laptop.

I also travel for lecturing and committee meetings. All of you road warriors know the organizing challenges that are inherent in that life.

GTD Applicability:
Weekly review-type reviews and identification of NAs are "huddle like" behaviors that are performed by high-performance teams dealing with stressful/chaotic situations. Taking time to stop and plan - if only for a few seconds - helps prevent miscommunications and wasted energy by improving situational awareness.

GTD applicability to patient care:
The methodology of separating processing from NA could help w/more effective distribution of workload to appropriate health care workers. The "waiting for" concept is starting to be applied in emerging clinical information systems as automated process exception errors.

Finally: The stress of patient care is sufficiently challenging, so if GTD helps achieve "stress-free productivity" with the non-patient care aspects of the job, it is most welcome.

Julian
 
Top