GTD in your phone. Help to choose app. 3 finalist.

enezeusx

Registered
Hello, Im new in GTD and I´m looking for an APP to my phone that can work like David Allen his methodology. After having tried several APPs and online task managers system that can sync, I need to choose between 3 i liked.

GetItDoneapp is a very good app, easy to use, the web site sync with the app, and it sync with google calendar too. I like it, because it works like the GTD book told me.

Remember the milk. Very complete task manager, can sync with google calendar and the website. Not to easy to use, but maybe I need more time with this.

Google task manager. I liked too, but it is maybe not too complete like Getitdoneapp or Remember the milk.

Did you read the GTD book and you use one of these app? Plese tell me why I must to choose one of these app. (and why not)

Thanks for your help!

danreading

Registered
decisions decisions

I used to use GTM because I can assign tasks to any email I receive and the interface is simple enough that I'm not spending a lot of time playing with options. I just made a list for each context and ran with it. Currently, however I started using SpringPad because I'm offline about half the time and it syncs my lists automatically. My advice is to download 10 of the highest rated ones and after two weeks stick with the one you use.

mcogilvie

Registered
Honestly, I don't care for any of your choices very much. GetItDone was very buggy as of a few weeks ago. Google tasks seems too simple, and I don't care for the web interface of RTM. My advice is to look at the most highly-rated gtd apps around.

jrdouce

Registered
I've been using RTM. I'm not completely satisfied, but it's serviceable. The Web interface is ponderous to edit. If you learn the shortcuts, however, adding tasks is decent. The Android app is very good.

I'd like to use Google tasks, but I'd like a slightly more robust interface than the popup window on the bottom of gmail. Still, for I'm a big fan of simplicity, and gtm is very simple.

ste.witton

Registered
I've tried loads including Todo, toodledoo and things but the best by far is Omnifocus. Granted, it's probably the most expensive but you get what you pay for. It handles projects superbly which is a must.

clango

Registered
kelstarrising;86828 said:
Has anyone tried SmartyTask? It's web-based only.

it seems to be too expensive! 99$ per year? this is the cost to buy a software!

I use Toodledo and gOT TO DO ( now Ultimate TO do list, Got To Do end)

Mark Jantzen

Registered
OmniFocus

I use OmniFocus on my iPhone 4 and after getting up the learning curve it is an excellent app to help implement GTD particularly with the ability to sync across devices - e.g. Mac, iPhone, iPad.

hacker

Registered
Mark Jantzen;86863 said:
I use OmniFocus on my iPhone 4 and after getting up the learning curve it is an excellent app to help implement GTD particularly with the ability to sync across devices - e.g. Mac, iPhone, iPad.

Two words: Bleh, iPhone.

PeterW

Registered
I've been using Toodledo.com (web-based service) and Appigo Todo on my iPhone for a few years now and find it very solid and reliable. Toodledo's own iPhone app is a bit more comprehensive but I find the interface more cumbersome and therefore less easy to use.

kelstarrising;86828 said:
Has anyone tried SmartyTask? It's web-based only.
I took Smartytask for a trial run just after it was 'released'. I liked it a lot - nice clean user interface and some neat features. However the issues for me were:
[a] Cost - $9.95/month is expensive compared to $15.00/year for Toodledo;
No native mobile app - their mobile web version is nice but not enough for me;
[c] No online user community - & responses from the developer were slow.

Another service worth looking at is Nirvana (www.nirvanahq.com). They are still in beta so it's missing functionality but it looks great and has a commitment to following GTD (whereas Toodledo can do GTD but is not designed specifically for it). Nirvana does not have a native mobile app either but they have a functional mobile web version like Smartytask.

elizabethm

Registered
Toodledo, OmniFocus or Action Lists.

Try those three, they are very much GTD-centric if you know what you are doing. I wouldn't recommend Remember the Milk for managing projects. Sure, if you had a few, I'll say go for it and Google several project workarounds for it. But it is particularly fussy to manage if you have over sixty active projects. Meh.

Get It Done is a bit buggy on the iPhone. I am currently running iOS 4.1 and when I ran the app I experienced slow response and some crashes. See if it works for you.

But, of course, this is all advice. It takes some months to find the perfect tool for your workflow. If not the perfect tool, the most flexible and customizable one so it'll match you.

enezeusx

Registered
and the winner is...

Finnaly I paid for RTM, it works perfect if you implemented GTD with this guide:
http://blog.rememberthemilk.com/2008/05/guest-post-advanced-gtd-with-remember-the-milk/ This guide make the difference!

I paid for getitdoneapp too, but I experimented some syncronizacion problems and the APP was very slow to use.

Smartytask was nice, but it has not android app and it is expensive.

Toodledo and Nirvanahq are very, very good, but they have not android app.

mhm802

Registered
Toodledo doesn't have a native Android app, but it has several excellent Android interfaces. I use Ultimate To-Do list, which synchs perfectly with Toodledo online.

enezeusx

Registered
Thanks for de advice about Toodledo with Ultimate to do list.

mhm802;86947 said:
Toodledo doesn't have a native Android app, but it has several excellent Android interfaces. I use Ultimate To-Do list, which synchs perfectly with Toodledo online.

Thanks for de advice, mhm802!
Toodledo with Ultimate To-Do list have the remember the milk does not have and more.
Notes, sub-tasks, easy and powerfull search, saved searchs, customizable views, a lot of tools and services (google calendar, outlook, send your task via email, etc), perfect synchronization, customizable themes ...and the most important, nice price :)

Thanks again for the advice!

clango

Registered
Got to do, Android and Toodledo

PeterW;86904 said:
I've been using Toodledo.com (web-based service) and Appigo Todo on my iPhone for a few years now and find it very solid and reliable.

I took Smartytask for a trial run just after it was 'released'. I liked it a lot - nice clean user interface and some neat features. However the issues for me were:
[a] Cost - $9.95/month is expensive compared to $15.00/year for Toodledo;
No native mobile app - their mobile web version is nice but not enough for me;
[c] No online user community - & responses from the developer were slow.

Peter,

I use Toodledo and I think as you is a reliable service at an affordable cost.

SmartyTask, I had your same evaluations and if there is not a community and response "center" it is, for me, a negative indicator.

Then I found Got To Do on Android, as well reliable as Toodledo, and they synch together.

However, recently the developer of Got To Do announced there will be anymore updates of the app and the actual competitors seem to be far from the characteristics of Got to Do.:(

Edit 2/04/11: I found the alternative: Ultimate To Do List is better than Got To Do!

Vickie

Registered
Evernote and Informant

I use Informant to manage my tasks and Evernote for reference materials and project plans. This combo is working very well for me. I'm not very familiar with your 3 finalist apps but it's hard to say which one is "best" because I think any app can work for you. It just depends on appeals to you and fits into your style. If any are hard to use, they will probably repel you so I would stay away from the types of apps especially if you are newer to GTD and just trying to get the basic concepts under your belt.

Vickie

AE Thanh

Registered
Does it have to be a web based platform?

Honestly, I haven't found anything as good as Omnifocus. Unfortunately it is Mac-only (or iPhone / iPad) but by far the task manager out there.

I know RTM syncs nicely with Google Calendar plus it has apps for Android and iPhone. That makes capturing fairly easy and syncing.