GTD movie or mini documentary

Graeme Thom

Registered
I’ve been listening to the GTD audiobook a lot these days as well as consuming lots of other GTD content on the web (podcasts, YouTube, other websites and articles). GTD Connect is also fabulous and there’s so much great information on these forums.

However while listening to the audiobook again tonight when walking the dog it dawned on me that a whole lot more people would likely “get” GTD a lot faster and smoother if there was a kind of demo GTD movie or mini documentary that showed the “before” and “after” scenarios of a “normal” person who was completely out of control before coming into contact with GTD, and then after an initial teething phase eventually achieved “mind like water” and daily stress-free productivity. And all the progress steps on the way.

I’m sure telling the GTD story via “real life” scenarios - like “a day in the life of...” for several people - would appeal and resonate with a wide audience.

Anyway just a thought which I think would be interesting to explore further to educate, inform and attract wider adoption.

PeterByrom

Registered
I’ve often thought the same myself. At the very least, I think animation combined with examples would help people get it.

Which is why I made this! :)

Graeme Thom

Registered
I’ve often thought the same myself. At the very least, I think animation combined with examples would help people get it.

Which is why I made this! :)

Thank you Peter. That's awesome. Yes I found your video in a separate thread (after I'd made my original post) and was about to watch it this morning. The animations in between are a great idea. I'll see if I can put anything together later too (new project or someday/maybe) :)

PeterByrom

Registered
Thanks! For me, one of the hardest concepts to get my head around was the idea of connecting next actions to both projects and contexts. Visualising it was very helpful (and I mainly relied on setup guides for that).

Graeme Thom

Registered
Thanks! For me, one of the hardest concepts to get my head around was the idea of connecting next actions to both projects and contexts. Visualising it was very helpful (and I mainly relied on setup guides for that).

I agree. It’s like setting up a relational database for living in the now.

Yes the setup guides are great as they provide a concrete framework for joining all the dots and visualizing how to process and where things go.

Graeme Thom

Registered
Part of the challenge is that getting coached is a deeply personal and even vulnerable process.

I totally agree John. Linda even breaks down crying in the video likely due to the overwhelm. I feel exactly the same. Setting up the system takes concerted time and effort - much more than I imagined. The biggest challenge is within myself. I'm encouraged that many people are having a similar experience - and also that while a large time block up front is ideal, the process can still be handled in chunks. A little bit at a time is better than nothing - with constant course correction. In that respect the path to GTD mastery really is similar to taking up a martial art or any other endeavour - the initial learning curve is steep - but before you know it some aspects will have become "habit" and more on auto-pilot - and there will come a day when you look back and think "wow, that wasn't as bad as I thought, and look where I am now!"

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
In that respect the path to GTD mastery really is similar to taking up a martial art or any other endeavour - the initial learning curve is steep - but before you know it some aspects will have become "habit" and more on auto-pilot - and there will come a day when you look back and think "wow, that wasn't as bad as I thought, and look where I am now!"
Yes indeed. The movements seem very awkward at first, but once we start to let go of the previously grooved habits, the new seems more natural.

Tombo

Registered
I agree completely it would be very helpful to see the implementation and integration. While the process has to be internalized by the individual it would be great to see real world examples of the methodology in action.

MakaiFoster

Registered
I've been diving deep into GTD myself, and sometimes I catch myself thinking, "How awesome would it be to see GTD in action on the big screen or in a mini documentary?" Imagining real-life scenarios, like a chaotic day turned zen with GTD, sounds like a game-changer for understanding and connecting with the method. Just picture it – a movies out today where we follow someone from the brink of overwhelm to the sweet spot of "mind like water." That could hit home for so many folks! I'm imagining scenes of messy desks turning into organized havens and daily chaos transformed into stress-free productivity.

Last edited: