GTD on a Blackberry

K

kvyoung

I'm thinking of purchasing a Blackberry primarily for it's remote email capabilities and push technology. Has anyone out there implemented GTD on a Blackberry and if so care to share your experience and any tips?

niall

Registered
Hi

I have a BB but I don't specifically use it for GTD. I use it in GTD mainly for the ability to clear off quick emails and keep my inbox manageable. I don't find the task app very usable, the version we have doesn't support categories and the task list becomes a long flat list and not helpful in GTD terms. It is useful to have have the calander, email and memos on hand. But if you're a big email user you may find it helpful but in my experience you'd have to back your system up with other tools for managing actions and projects etc.

Niall

pstmstr

Registered
GTD on a Blackberry

I use GTD on my Blackberry 7290 and it is fine. The tasks in version 3.6 and higher does have categories. I have used a palm and ppc before and the blackberry is now my all in one device that works fine. Not all the stuff to play with like a palm and ppc but maybe thats good. :)

K

Kevin Kane

I’ve had the BB 7750 for a couple of months. GTD on it is certainly doable!

Tips:
- upgrade to the most recent desktop and handheld manager software
- to view your GTD categories on the BB (e.g., your @home, @errands, etc., lists), use the BB’s “filter.” You can filter by category. For instance, you can open Tasks, then filter by the category “@errands”, and you would only see the tasks that are on your @errands list.
- Syncs with Outlook, including the GTD Add-in. When you enter tasks with a category (e.g., @errands: buy protein powder) into the BB, when you then sync with Outlook, you press “Cntl-Alt-U” in Outlook to get all your new tasks to go to their appropriate categories. Just press that once and they all sort. Very easy.

Some previous concerns I’ve heard about doing GTD on Blackberries:
- no category support: there is with the most recent OS upgrade.
- Blackberry phone is tedious to use: Not anymore. On the 7750, the phone is one-button away. The number keys are a little small, but if you have average size hands (for a man), shouldn’t be a problem, and you’ll probably be normally dialing from your address book, recent number list, or speed dial, anyway.
- You can do email more effectively on a desktop or laptop: Ok, but some people do need to have access to email anytime, anyplace (maybe not all the time, but some of the time), and the BB is super-fast and easy for emailing compared to having to lug around and fire up a laptop. BB subscribers are increasing exponentially: can 6 million thumbs and counting be wrong? :)

I have not compared doing GTD on the BB vs. another PDA, but if you want to frequently take care of email away from your computer, BB is “da bomb.” Regarding the rest of its ability to implement GTD, I wouldn’t know if it’s superior or inferior to other PDAs, but I am confident that it is pretty good so far, especially perhaps if you like a keyboard over a stylus.

Moreover, if you are planning to become an executive someday in a big firm, they might insist you use a BB anyway, so why not come aboard now? :)

p.s. I don’t work for RIM, but I love my BlackBerry, and I think it’s been cast in a bit of an unfair light regarding its compatibility with GTD, hence my somewhat cheerleading-post.

K

kvyoung

GTD on Blackberry

I'm looking at the 7250 model and from what I can see task management includes categories in that version as well. While I know David recommends processing email on a minimum of a laptop, I can't help but think processing some of the spam and fyi email at times when I would otherwise be unproductive will save me time when I sit down to do the bulk of my email processing on the laptop/tablet. When I'm travelling and meeting with clients all that email processing is presently taking place at night so if I could reduce that time by 30 minutes or more I'd have time for other things.

Having used both Palm, Pocket PC and a tablec pc I know I'll miss some features but the ability to get to my email near instantaneously seems to be the selling feature. The tablet PC is great but checking my email remotely entails waiting for it to boot, logging in to the tablet, connecting the Aircard to the Internet, logging on to Citrix, logging on to my work network then logging on to exchange. It takes 10 minutes to do all that and is ineffective if you are trying to take advantage of 10 or 15 minute snippets of time.

I appreciate hearing about the limitations though. If I decide to jump on the Blackberry bandwagon it will replace my phone, pocket pc and Aircard. A net savings of about $70 per month in service fees. I'm a little concerned about giving up the Aircard but if I can access my email on the Blackberry I'm hoping that will be sufficient. I tend to defer accessing the web or internal systems until I am in a hotel with a high speed connection before going back to dial-up speeds on the Aircard. It is cool though to be a passenger in a car and sitting back browsing and accessing the net as you go zooming down the road.

Martin

Registered
kvyoung said:
Having used both Palm, Pocket PC and a tablec pc I know I'll miss some features but the ability to get to my email near instantaneously seems to be the selling feature. The tablet PC is great but checking my email remotely entails waiting for it to boot, logging in to the tablet, connecting the Aircard to the Internet, logging on to Citrix, logging on to my work network then logging on to exchange. It takes 10 minutes to do all that and is ineffective if you are trying to take advantage of 10 or 15 minute snippets of time.

I appreciate hearing about the limitations though. If I decide to jump on the Blackberry bandwagon it will replace my phone, pocket pc and Aircard.

Make sure your company supports Blackberry. They have to install certain server software to push corporate email to the blackberry. Otherwise you won't be able to read your email.

K

kvyoung

GTD on Blackberry

Thanks Martin, I've verified that we are running a Blackberry Enterprise Server. Watching colleagues from work access their email on meeting breaks and while travelling is what made me realize the benefits.

I have a choice of several different Blackberry models from 4 different mobile providers but will likely go with the 7250 because it will allow me to stay with my current cell provider and simply move my cell number. Unlike those in the U.S. we cannot move numbers between mobile providers here yet in Canada.

A

AH

GTD on Blackberry

Have been applying for a few months and it works well. I have the GTD add-in on desktop and the BB picks up alot of the embedded content in tasks/appts which is useful. Only drawback is that despite being able to view by GTD category in the BB, when I enter new tasks by category on the BB they synch with no category on the desktop...Kevin has suggested Ctrl-Alt-U but this just writes an accented character for me! Kevin any advice would be appreciated.

K

Kevin Kane

AH, do you have the most recent BB desktop and HandHeld software versions? And are you using Outlook 2003? With or without the GTD Add-In? I think cntl-alt-u will only work if you are using the GTD Add-In.

A

AH

GTD on a blackberry

Kevin thanks for the reply. Yes have the GTD add-in. Am using Outlook 2002 SP3 with Version 4 of the BB desktop manager and Handheld 3.7.0.73.