GTD on the Palm Pre

sweat

Registered
I'm guessing I'm not the only person thinking about buying the forthcoming Palm Pre.

The rumor is that the phone will not sync directly with PCs, but rather use cloud computing.

So the question is how do you do GTD on the Pre if one's work life involves Outlook?

mcogilvie

Registered
8 ball says "Reply hazy, try again"

I've looked at Palm's web site, and it is not going to tell you much at this point. As a point of reference, the iPhone was useful for GTD only after the 2.0 software release, and it took some months after that before useful applications started appearing. Call it a year after the initial release of the iPhone. Of course, Palm might do better.

TesTeq

Registered
Palm Folio fate?

sweat;66096 said:
I'm guessing I'm not the only person thinking about buying the forthcoming Palm Pre.

Once upon a time there was the Palm Folio announcement... There were beautiful prototypes...

And now there is Palm Pre.

sweat

Registered
TesTeq;66099 said:
Once upon a time there was the Palm Folio announcement... There were beautiful prototypes...

And now there is Palm Pre.

Bad analogy. The Folio made no sense from Day 1 and Palm never had any retailers wanting to sell it.

The Pre is a much overdue update to Palm's smartphones and Sprint is already advertising it. If it lives up to the hype, and granted that's a big if, the phone should be a success.

mcogilvie

Registered
sweat;66106 said:
Bad analogy. The Folio made no sense from Day 1 and Palm never had any retailers wanting to sell it.

The Pre is a much overdue update to Palm's smartphones and Sprint is already advertising it. If it lives up to the hype, and granted that's a big if, the phone should be a success.

The Pre is not an update. It's a bet-the-company new product. We don't know much about it, really, except for the hype. There are hardware, software, financial and legal unknowns. It could be a success, and Palm could still go down the tubes. If there are significant problems, Palm is probably toast. I used Palms for years, and would like to see them succeed with the Pre, but I like my iPhone.

br4978

Registered
I suspect a bridge of some sort will happen along quickly, but that depends on the OS, not the handset itself. Early buzz indicates developers are enthusiastic about WebOS, and if true, the developer community will see the opportunity (there are just a few Outlook users...) and find a way should Palm fail to do so.

Stay tuned...

sweat

Registered
TesTeq;66127 said:
I suggest everybody to wait and see. And to focus on the GTD process - not the tools.

The tools for some of us are important, though I understand what David said about technology more and more everyday. Funny, I never hated Microsoft before I got Vista and Windows Mobile.

To try and avoid the same mistake, I'm trying to get things set up for the Pre, or at least be prepared to jump to the Blackberry or iPhone if the Pre doesn't work. Hence the reason for this thread.

sweat

Registered
plaid;66156 said:
Companionlink has already announced that they will do palm pre to outlook sync via google calendar.

http://www.companionlink.com/aboutus/pressreleases/040309.html

The problem is that Google cannot handle multiple categories assigned to tasks. For instance if you have a task categorized as Next! and call, Google can't handle both categories.

CompanionLink has been great about responding to emails. A rep there said that there might be USB syncing but he can't say for sure until the phone is actually released. It will partially depend the WebOS/

TesTeq

Registered
I question your approach to prepare now for Palm Pre.

sweat;66155 said:
I'm trying to get things set up for the Pre, or at least be prepared to jump to the Blackberry or iPhone if the Pre doesn't work.

I am sorry but I have to question your approach to prepare your GTD system now for Palm Pre. I think it is a waste of time. Pre doesn't work because there is no Pre you can buy.

sweat

Registered
TesTeq;66204 said:
I am sorry but I have to question your approach to prepare your GTD system now for Palm Pre. I think it is a waste of time. Pre doesn't work because there is no Pre you can buy.

You and I are looking at this from two different angles.

You are thinking, and correct me if I'm wrong, that my system is dependent on certain technology. David clearly warns against this and I agree with him.

From my viewpoint, I know what type of GTD system would work best for me. So, for me, it's simply a question as to whether Pre can do what I need it to or if it can't. I won't change my system for the Pre, but I will change my phone and/or cell phone service to get what I need.

mcogilvie

Registered
sweat;66258 said:
You and I are looking at this from two different angles.

You are thinking, and correct me if I'm wrong, that my system is dependent on certain technology. David clearly warns against this and I agree with him.

From my viewpoint, I know what type of GTD system would work best for me. So, for me, it's simply a question as to whether Pre can do what I need it to or if it can't. I won't change my system for the Pre, but I will change my phone and/or cell phone service to get what I need.

No quarrels with what you say, but I still think it is premature. It might be different if Palm were telling us more about the software.

TesTeq

Registered
I simply do not believe Palm.

sweat;66258 said:

I am not focused on your GTD system. It is great that it is not dependent on technology.

I simply do not believe Palm so I think that any time invested in researching their press releases is wasted.

Casper TFG

Registered
I think Palm are crazy for not doing some PR about how it will sync with other systems. :confused: (as a Mac user I am still totally in the dark on how a Pre will work with a Mac..)

But that said..... ...I will do one last check on the Pre before my planned move from Blackberry to iPhone 3.0 this summer...

But my mind is pretty made up already

Mac + Omnifocus
iPhone 3 + Omnifocus iPhone app

rsailer

Registered
GTD on Palm Pre

One thing I've seen that is kind of cool is the "compatibility mode" that seems to be part of the Pre; that is that it will run old palm operating system programs (like those on a Treo). If that is the case, it would allow easy migration for those who use Treo's or Centro's or older palm devices.

I think there is a lot of value for GTDr's in the list and memo functions of the old palm systems and using that maybe a bridge until the newer software comes out.

Randy

petdr

Registered
Legacy

rsailer;66279 said:
One thing I've seen that is kind of cool is the "compatibility mode"

As a long-time Palm OS user, this mode is the main feature that would make me trade in my 755p for the Pre. All the web features of the iPhone did not work for me and I can't imagine WebOS to be any different. I just prefer non-web-dependent tools. Give me the basic Palm apps (or third party apps that use the native database) --- Datebk, Memoleaf, Tasks, etc... --- with the basic editing abilities (copy/paste); add in the handheld-PC sync and I have a strong foundation for my task management system.

For Palm's sake, I hope the compatibility mode (and the Pre) lives up to its promise.

notmuch

Registered
WebOS is aptly named. It will do everything via the web, no computer required. There is no information about "syncing" to Macs, because there is no local syncing. Want to sync to your local Outlook file? You'll need to go through the cloud via Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync; either your corporate server or pay someone $10/month who hosts one. (ouch!) Or you can add another layer of complexity with something like Google/CompanionLink.

There is a "mass storage mode" which will allow drag and drop of files from a PC (& one assumes a Mac), so maybe developers can hack some kind of local sync down the road.

Indications are that backup will happen via your Palm web account, and it will only include the apps you download, preference settings, and any data created on the Pre that doesn't exist somewhere else, IE Google, Facebook etc.

Compatibility Mode (video here) looks interesting. You can add your old PalmOS stuff via drag and drop in mass storage mode, but no tethered Hotsync. The old apps can access the web if capable, but do not talk to "Synergy" which means your old PIM data in the emulator won't be visible to the new apps. In the video he briefly mentions, "Hotsync Compatibility Mode" and running a program, but it's not clear to me what he means. It did look like operating the virtual 5 way pad on the emulator isn't going to be as nice as the real thing.

I'm going to ride out my Centro/Outlook setup as long as I can and wait and see how the Pre develops. Consider me more optimistic about the Pre than TesTeq ;)

getitdone21

Registered
PocketMirror!!!

sweat;66096 said:

The rumor is that the phone will not sync directly with PCs, but rather use cloud computing.

So the question is how do you do GTD on the Pre if one's work life involves Outlook?

Chapura released PocketMirror 2.0 that is a GTDrs dream. Best task app i have seen for any device. Syns with Outlook.