• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

GTD Outlook

During Mastering Projects & Actions Webinar - Sept 2009, Kelly states that Outlook will not allow you to create lists underneath lists and suggests creating another category / context. In the Project Support Webinar - April 2010, Wayne explains how to do projects and sub-projects using categories and initials in front of actions / sub-projects.

Given the date on the webinars, I'm not sure if these methods are still being utilized or if a better way has been found. I did in fact find a simpler method. Within Outlook, you have the ability to add user defined fields. I created one called projects, so when I add a task, I can link it to a project. I then adjusted the detailed view to include and sort by the user-defined field "projects". Another field could then be added to identify sub-projects if desired. If you sort by projects and then by sub-projects, that may constitute a list underneath a list.

On the sort by category option, you can add the user-defined field to further sort contexts by projects as well.

I hope this helps further the usage of Outlook for others without requiring the add-on.
 
Top