GTD Priorities - The Real Scoop

DavidRParker

Registered
OK what did you all think about this month's teleseminar?

Did it seem a bit "flat" to you? I need to listen to it again. I'm sure there's gold in there to be mined!

One immediate thing - did anyone pick up the reference to the two types of people - associative and linear - and David's reference to someone's work in that area? Did anyone pick up the name and does anyone know where I could find out more?

I understand David's concerns about the "old" time management ideas about priorities. I used to use a system like Time Design called Time Manager and I could never understand why some aspects of it just didn't work for me. I think I now understand that the nature of work had already changed but the system I was using was still tied to the old nature of work.

Did (does) anyone out there use Claus Moeller's Time Manager?

David

Luc

Registered
All I can say for now is this!

Am a new member of GTD connect and glad to have access to all this knowledge!
I took 3 hours of my time yesterday to listen, at my own paste, to this teleseminar and took 5 pages of notes, being a newcomber with David Allen's approach (5 months now), I didn't want to miss anything!

I am applying right now all that I can apply concerning his workflow approach:

Already purchased Active words
Am on trial period with mind manager Pro
Opened up in mind manager this morning, for the first time, "Luc's World" (That was so much fun actually), typing the active word "Moi" ("Me" in french)
Started implementing some main legs to this mind map (Horizons of focus; 50000+...; Weekly review; This week; My main attention...) .
Started placing, dropping here and there ideas coming out of my brain in the 50+, 40+, 30+, and 20+.
Started implementing links (ex.: Calendar in outlook 2007 with leg "My calendar" in "Luc's World" mind map...I think thats the way to do this)

I am taking a big step forward now, and with this new information, the pieces of the puzzle are starting to seriously get in place, so that I can master the workflow process in the "near futur".

On another standpoint, my hope is that David Allen will, in the near futur, elaborate a little bit more on the implementation of all this. There's things I don't grasp: for instance

- what form takes the "weekly review" leg in his DA World (Word document? mind map?...)...and how does that work;
- Where is located the 10000+ level in his DA World (Inside "My main attentions" and "this week" I suppose?)
- I suppose his "actions lists", under the leg 'My horizons of focus' is linked to Lotus notes tasks (in my case:MOutlook tasks)

In conclusion, I want to say to David Allen that I appreciate a whole lot his choice to be transparent and share with GTD connect members, and others, his knowledge and experience!

Thank you! and hoping my english was not too bad, french being my native language!

Sincerely yours!
Luc

SalesDave

Registered
Start Over

Luc, you are falling into the trap of getting all the cool tools without a full understanding of the process. My advise to you is to reread Getting Things Done and then reread it again. Only then can you start using your tools in the right way. I know the feeling you are having now with all the fun stuff out there because I fell into the same trap. I actually get a lot more out of my tools (Outlook add-in, MM7 & Results Manager & GryoQ) after going back to the beginning and doing a thorough rereading of the book. Best of luck to you and feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Dave

Luc

Registered
I needed that!!!

I understand what your saying Dave, and will try to take it easy on the "purchasing cool tools" part. I am taking right now your advice and bringing with me the book to read again. Actually, I read it only once...so maybe its time to read it again.

You know, I'm the "I want all of it now...mastery of worflow process in two weeks" type of guy." the problem with this is that a lot of my time goes to searching GTD connect and others, and not enough time to being in action and closing loops.

Thank you for your comment Dave!
Being a new member here, and new at this (GTD), I was hoping for a reply to my post. I take that as a tap on the back to continu and I appreciate it.
If I have any questions, I won't hesitate to ask!

Luc

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Reference to associative & sequential learning styles

Hi David -- you asked about the reference in the teleseminar to learning styles. You can get additional information from OpenBook Learning, where Frank Sopper is VP of Product Development.

- John

Robertson

Registered
Outlook Addin

SalesDave;51922 said:
Luc, you are falling into the trap of getting all the cool tools without a full understanding of the process. My advise to you is to reread Getting Things Done and then reread it again. Only then can you start using your tools in the right way. I know the feeling you are having now with all the fun stuff out there because I fell into the same trap. I actually get a lot more out of my tools (Outlook add-in, MM7 & Results Manager & GryoQ) after going back to the beginning and doing a thorough rereading of the book. Best of luck to you and feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Dave

I have the same tools except the outlook addin - do you find you're able to tie it in to work sucessfully with MM Pro7, RM & GyroQ ??

Cheers, Rob

mavakil

Registered
David's World

Hi everybody,

It would be really neat if somebody (preferably from David Co) can do a post on what were all the legs on the David's World mindmap, (with as much details as David permits). I'm sure that was one of the major takebacks for many from the seminar.

Thanks,
Arif

SalesDave

Registered
Use of Tools

Robertson;51976 said:
I have the same tools except the outlook addin - do you find you're able to tie it in to work sucessfully with MM Pro7, RM & GyroQ ??

Cheers, Rob

The only issue that I run into is that Outlook 2007 adds each project as a task. That is a bug in Outlook not MM7. I have cut back my sync between MM7 & Outlook. I use MM7 & RM mostly 10,000 to 50,000 altitudes and Outlook for my Runway. I use GryoQ throughout the day as an inbox that I empty at the end of the day. Hope this helps

R

rbhailey

mavakil;51978 said:
Hi everybody,

It would be really neat if somebody (preferably from David Co) can do a post on what were all the legs on the David's World mindmap, (with as much details as David permits). I'm sure that was one of the major takebacks for many from the seminar.

Thanks,
Arif

I would like to know how to hyperlink to my Outlook Calendar?

Brad

DavidRParker

Registered
Hyperlinking to Outlook folders

You can hyperlink to any of your Outlook folders by typing, for example:

outlook:Calendar

or

outlook:Sent Items

in the Internet Explorer address box or creating a hyperlink in a web page.

Note that only folder names that appear on your Outlook folder list can be used but this includes subfolders, for example:

outlook:Inbox@Action

David

DavidAllen

GTD Connect
David's DA World mindmap

Ok

So here's a pic of my DA World mindmap... I coded the real topics, to protect the innocent.

"DAC" refers a mega-mindmap on the company - David Allen Company, as that's handy to have in front of me for capturing stuff that could go many places there.

David

Attached files

R

rbhailey

DavidRParker;52071 said:
You can hyperlink to any of your Outlook folders by typing, for example:

outlook:Calendar

or

outlook:Sent Items

in the Internet Explorer address box or creating a hyperlink in a web page.

Note that only folder names that appear on your Outlook folder list can be used but this includes subfolders, for example:

outlook:Inbox@Action

David

Once I create the link, when I click on it I get a "You do not have permission" message?

I know I am complicating this, but I want to get the fundamentals done first.

Brad

DavidRParker

Registered
I'm not sure why you're getting this error message.

I've checked on my standalone system and one another using an Exchange Server and the syntax works OK on both.

Can anyone else help?

David

Barb

Registered
Administrator

Be sure you have administrative rights within Outlook. I can't recall how to do that, but I bet that's the problem.

sholden

Registered
The outlook:calendar URL/link doesn't work for me on my Vista ThinkPadX61. I get the permission error. It is a great idea/tip if it would work. I'll do some more research on that and see what I can come did up. Using ActiveWords sort of solves that problem to some degree.

I'd like to thank David for his MindMap. I created my own via the audio, and have been using it for the last 2 weeks with great success. Things are very busy for me right now (more than normal), and I'm finding great relief in doing twice daily 'weekly reviews' using this map.

- Steve

sholden

Registered
I was able to get this link to the Outlook calendar to work with Outlook 2007, Vista, MindManager 7 but creating a link to the Outlook.exe file and then under Options ... in the Edit Hyperlink dialog box ... choose the Arguments field and type in:

/select outlook:calendar

I hope this helps.

Steve

quantumgardener

Registered
DavidRParker;51873 said:
OK what did you all think about this month's teleseminar?

Did it seem a bit "flat" to you? I need to listen to it again. I'm sure there's gold in there to be mined!

Hi David,

I found a couple of nuggets but since I work for a gold mining company isn't that to be expected.:D I just listened to the podcast this week and it highlighted two of my behaviours.

Nugget 1
I don't have to do what's on my lists.

Significant pressure can build up when I know I'm not getting done what's on my next action lists. This happens when I'm much more reactive and acting on what comes through the door when it comes through. David's comments gave me permission to do that but before I get flamed let me explain.

This week we had to deliver our full year accounts to the stock market here in Australia. No matter what was on my lists, the audit and report presentation had my attention. I did a weekly review first thing Monday morning and confirmed that everything else was in order. I knew I could give my attention to what had my attention. I knew I could do so without letting anything else important drop off. Each day I checked my lists and said, "ok, I could do that today and it would be nice but I'm ok if I don't do it. I have to work on this instead." This kept me calm for the whole week (I lie...the hour before the lodgement deadline was nerve-wracking).

With this in mind, I no longer need to feel guilty about not getting things on my list done when other priorities arise. That is very liberating and powerful because I can now make more appropriate choices.

Nugget 2
I connected to 'Projects' in a new way. I've been long down the path of connecting next actions to projects. This has been driven by the fear of missing something. Using the GTD Outlook plug-in it is easy to scan each project and see what I have to do next and more importantly what projects do not have a next action. Because I don't get to weekly reviews often enough this is my safety net. Of course, because it's my safety net I don't get to weekly reviews each week.

A simple list of project titles I think will work for me. I don't need the connection to next actions any more. I have no difficulty in working out what I have to do next and my NA lists have settled down to manageable chunks. I have been more concerned about getting it right and only having one next action per project (unless multiples in parallel).

This nugget feeds off the last. I am freed to trust my intuition more. It recognised I can't do everything on my list now and that priorities will changes.

So David, I did find some gold. I hope you have too.

David

Carla Guarisco

Registered
Latest Teleseminar Now Split into Tracks

It may be a bit easier to find the gold in this teleseminar now that the recording has been divided into smaller segments.

Thanks for the nuggets! Hope this updated version helps your mining.

Take care,