GTD Times: Investing in your Horizons of Focus

Roger

Registered
The article I'm talking about is at
http://www.gtdtimes.com/2010/01/30/investing-in-your-horizons-of-focus/

Just speaking for myself, I found this article mystifying and depressing.

"But at a certain moment when you go, when you make decision [sic], you have to go until the end."

"I just spoke with Johan, and he said I have no choice, so I guess we’ll go forward."

"Pain is temporary, but quitting lasts forever."

That's supposed to be inspiring? "Join the GTD bandwagon and you'll never be able to change your mind again! Won't that be great? The pain of difficult choices will be gone, because you will have no choice. If you quit something, you can never ever start it again -- that's the GTD way."

I think I see what the author was trying to establish here, but his example just reads like a square peg that he's hammering into a round hole.

Cheers,
Roger

chipjoyce

Registered
Crisis

I think what Roger misses is that I am writing about what one hopes happens in a crisis, when you are questioning everything and emotionally beaten down. You need guidance at that point, a source of strength, and where you will best get it, is from the prior work you did to establish your horizons of focus--when your mind was in a better place.

In normal times, your mind ought to be nimble and have lots of options and decisions to intuitively make. That's GTD most of the time. I'm extending the value of GTD to the crisis situation, and while that might not be inspiring for day-to-day operations, it might be very inspiring during a crisis such as Lance Armstrong's.