GTD Week One

Z

zmobie

I don't want to go overboard and sing the praises of GTD like a cult follower or anything, but after one week of using the GTD system, I feel like I am finally in control!

I don't have the system totally figured out yet, I still haven't taken 2 days off and piled all my stuff in the middle of the room and moved it through the "Next Action" flow chart thing. I don't have a reliable filing cabinet or office area set up yet, but using "Next Action" thinking I have put a huge dent in the nagging responsibilities and open loops that were dragging me down.

I actually ended up in the black at work yesterday. By that I mean that my job has felt like I was in "work debt". I was always handling projects and tasks at the last minute when it was down to the wire. I was in the red when it came to productivity.

Yesterday I got all caught up. I didn't know what to do with myself. I kinda walked around with a dumb grin on my face. I actually started helping other supervisors with their tasks for an hour or so. Then I realized I could start new projects rather than just handle the ones that are dropped in my lap! I actually created more work for myself just so I'd have something to do!

I instantly went from a work-a-day stiff who hated their job to actually enjoying it! I couldn't believe it.

My personal life is also falling into line, although a little bit more slowly because I work retail, go to school, and the hours are getting long as it nears xmas. The semester is about to end though, and I'll be able to section off a day or two to get it all figured out.

I have a lot of creative projects that I have always wanted to do. Music, writing, and various other things that I always thought I didn't have time for. I can already see that GTD is going to free up a lot of time for those unfinished ideas that would have sat at the back of my mind.

I am really exited about my new found energy and productivity, and I just had to get on the internet and brag. I've also sold every copy of David Allen's book that we had at the book store I work for. Maybe it's a little early to evangelize, but I can't help it. I am stoked!

Brent

Registered
Congratulations! That's awesome.

And here's what you have to look forward to: A work life that feeds into your higher life goals, so that the work you're doing now is important and relevant to where you want to be in five years.

Ruud

Registered
Great thing is, you're not just feeling you're in control -- you are in control.

And you have more pay-offs to look forward to. To be the "go to guy" because you deliver. To feel people trust you because, again, you deliver; you don't have open loops.

Be aware to stick to your guns now -- don't let a rush period steer you off track!

Good luck!