GTD with two people

flossyourmind

Registered
I would like to set up GTD at home with my wife. Is it best to have two completely separate systems? Where can the systems overlap and where should they not?

So far the simple things have already reduced my anxiety level

MarinaMartin

Registered
You definitely want to keep separate systems ... the core idea here is that you want a Next Actions list composed only of things you can do right here and now, so having your wife's tasks on your list will definitely confuse things.

However, there will be projects and tasks you both share.

For joint projects, brainstorm a list of actions together, but wherever possible, assign tasks to specific people. If either person can "Call Plumber" odds are it won't be done as quickly as if you know you need to call the plumber. Then "Call Plumber" goes on your Next Action list, and "Waiting on my husband to call the plumber" could go on her @WaitingOn list.

Joint projects should be reviewed once a week or so to determine next steps and assign new responsibilities. I suggest keeping a Weekly Review checklist (i.e. clean out wallet, clear physical inbox, clear email inbox) and include "Review projects with wife" on the list, so you're sure to get it done.

Enjoy!

flossyourmind

Registered
Interesting

I guess I could come up with some sort of flow diagram such that we keep our own lists but the reference material and archive folders are the same.

dschaffner

Registered
flossyourmind;63528 said:
I would like to set up GTD at home with my wife. Is it best to have two completely separate systems? Where can the systems overlap and where should they not?

Separate systems for sure, but you may want to consider doing the calendar portion of your weekly review together.

Note this isn't my idea, but was suggested by Meg and John Edwards during their recent GTD connect podcast :)

- Don

Tspall

Registered
You would definitely want seperate systems. I would also suggest that, as part of the weekly review, you and your wife sit down and decide specifically who will do which project and which action. That will keep action items from getting lost in the "I thought you were going to do it" problem. ;) Your calendar should be done together, however. That way, both of you will always know what appointments you have and either one of you can schedule them.

Good luck! It sounds like your wife is being very cooperative with this, and that's great to have such a partner in life!

Barb

Registered
Couples - when one ISN'T a GTD-er

My husband steadfastly refuses to do GTD. I've starting sending him my calendar items that involve him via email (I'm sure he looks at the calendar in his office). Also, I keep a context list with his name on it. Throughout the week, I add tasks to it ("honey-dos") and print it for him every Friday. He agreed to this in advance, by the way, because he kept "forgetting" things and it was causing friction between us.

It solved the friction problem, although I feel like I'm treating him like a two year old. I had hoped that he'd begin to take responsibility himself, but this is better than nothing.

Oogiem

Registered
flossyourmind;63528 said:
Is it best to have two completely separate systems? Where can the systems overlap and where should they not?

I'm the only one really doing GTD in our house so I have my own project lists, next actions etc. We share the main reference filing system, household tickler and calendar. I have some personal reference files and so does hubby.

dschaffner

Registered
Barb;63561 said:
It solved the friction problem, although I feel like I'm treating him like a two year old.

Well, as long as *he* doesn't feel like he's being treated that way, does it really matter ;)

- Don