GTD workflow and date management

Hydro

Registered
Hi

I have a little question about date mangement inside GTD workflow.

- First, in the GTD structure, if a task isn't actionnable, it goes to :
  1. trash
  2. someday / maybe
  3. reference
But what's happen if it's a actionnable task but we don't want to do yet ? Something like "find book to learn chest".
It's a actionnable task but I don't want to learn chest now, maybe later, maybe never.

Does this task must go to someday / maybe ?

- Second, where do you put NA that you can't start now ?

I mean a task with a start date in the futur but not necessarily a due date. Does it go to NA list ? To calendar ? To a defer list ?

For example, pay my taxes. I must do it before 2 may but I can't do it before 1 april because the service isn't open.
Do I add this task to the calendar ? On 1 april ? On 2 may only and I will see it during the review ?

I don't like to add a task like this on calendar, for me calendar is a place to event only not task.

What's your move on this ?

TesTeq

Registered
But what's happen if it's a actionnable task but we don't want to do yet ? Something like "find book to learn chest".
It's a actionnable task but I don't want to learn chest now, maybe later, maybe never.

Does this task must go to someday / maybe ?

Yes, it goes to Someday/Maybe since you don't want to look for a book in this week.

- Second, where do you put NA that you can't start now ?

I mean a task with a start date in the futur but not necessarily a due date. Does it go to NA list ? To calendar ? To a defer list ?

For example, pay my taxes. I must do it before 2 may but I can't do it before 1 april because the service isn't open.
Do I add this task to the calendar ? On 1 april ? On 2 may only and I will see it during the review ?

It may go to:
1. Taxes Project notes (you will see it at least 4 times between April 1st and May 2nd during your Weekly Reviews).
2. Tickler file.
3. Next Actions list with a start date of April 1st and a deadline May 2nd if your software supports two dates for a task.
4. Someday/Maybe with a note that it should be started between April 1st and May 2nd.
5. @WaitingFor April 1st.

Oogiem

Registered
ut what's happen if it's a actionnable task but we don't want to do yet ?
That's a Someday/Maybe task. Or a task for the tickler file.

For the taxes one I set a project with a start date and then a due date and so things are hidden until I need to see them. I also make that a recurring project so I see a new copy of it every year. No reason to rethink the entire thing each time. Conserve energy by figuring out and planning it once and then just reuse it.

Hydro

Registered
For the someday / maybe, for me it's really a list for things I want to do in the futur but if I don't do them, it's not a big deal.

A task that is on my NA list but I don't / can't do now, it's different because I must / need to do it.

GTDengineer

Registered
It would be appropriate to put a task with a defined start and due date in the future on your calendar. Tasks with deadlines are supposed to go there. If there is a time range, you should choose your first available time slot, because you have the possibility to defer it again if needed, but if you start the task too late, you can’t go back.

Your action lists and someday/maybe are best used for tasks without specific deadlines, like finding the book.

MichaelB212

Registered
@Hydro - Things 3 handles defer/start dates nicely.

@TesTeq - I like your suggestion of @WaitingFor with an April 1st reminder. I’ve been considering downshifting to a simpler task manager during this relatively lean time for work but was stuck deciding how to handle a lack of a defer date feature. This is a nice work around.