GTD Workflow map PDF

TesTeq

Registered
Folke said:
Where is the tickler file?

Quick comparison with The GTD Diagram in The GTD Book 2001 reveals the truth:

"Incubate / Possible later actions / Someday Maybe lists/folders" = "Someday/maybe {tickler file; hold for review}"

Hi TesTeq,

I know this is a bit of an older forum thread, but I wanted you to know that your responses on this thread are not only sarcastic, but also offensive and insensitive.

What you don't seem to understand is that some people have trouble with certain websites (this one included) when they try to use accessibility technology. (examples might include: screen-readers, screen-magnifiers, pointing assist devices, etc).

Also, I purchased the Audible version of GTD, which did not come with the PDF files. So when I'm looking for the PDF files that the author of the book mentioned every 10-12 pages, and find the first search result on Google is the thread that you answered sarcastically, it doesn't make me feel all that great about the types of people who use GTD.

I want to thank you for the link to the workflow PDF file that you provided with your first response. It was the most helpful text you provided in this thread!

Your last response however, was less than helpful, in that the previous reply who was asking for the tickler file, was asking for the PDF that Mr. Allen refers to in the book when he talks about the tickler file. Yes, he mentions a PDF in that spot. If he didn't in your version of the book, then he did in my audio book.

BTW, it might have taken me about 2-4 hours to find the exact location in the Audio book, because playing, forwarding, playing, forwarding etc ... takes some time.

Finally, I wanted to introduce you to a friend of mine who has a message for you: http://tinyurl.com/j5qrseu

Thanks for your time Mr. TesTeq! I hope you have a wonderful and enlightening day!

I equally hope you have no trouble finding your own answers to questions about this system, since you seem to have been working on it for 12 years. If you have any questions about technology, I am happy to be of assistance in any way that would help you! I'll even promise not to respond in any way sarcastically!

To Mr. Allen, who has bettered the world through this award winning organization system! Here Here!

Highest regards,

-Stephen

TesTeq

Registered
Hi, Stephen,

First of all let me thank you for this feedback. Sometimes I cannot see the whole picture. My sarcasm was unfounded even if my comment contained the proper, easy to find link. Probably no sarcasm is really useful in any circumstances. It reveals our fears.

So I apologize. Unconditionally and with all my heart.

stephenisthebaker said:
So when I'm looking for the PDF files that the author of the book mentioned every 10-12 pages, and find the first search result on Google is the thread that you answered sarcastically, it doesn't make me feel all that great about the types of people who use GTD.

It's very unfortunate that Google returns my comment as the first result. I know many GTDers and all of them are nice and friendly people. I've never met any GTDer more sarcastic than I am so treat me as a freak in this community.

stephenisthebaker said:
Finally, I wanted to introduce you to a friend of mine who has a message for you: http://tinyurl.com/j5qrseu

It is certainly not a nice message but I've deserved it. Thank you.

stephenisthebaker said:
Thanks for your time Mr. TesTeq! I hope you have a wonderful and enlightening day!

Thank you once again and wish you a wonderful and enlightening day too.

Folke

Registered
Well, heck, sure you can be a bit sarcastic at times, TesTeq, but so can we all, or we can be obnoxious in some other way. Lots of us here have probably annoyed plenty of others from time to time. Even our newcomer here, in writing such a long and indignated post, has easily proven himself worthy (or even "way beyond worthy" if you watch the video) of being part of this "annoying" forum ;-)

But then, on a much lighter note, let us enjoy some weekend reading : http://grammarist.com/spelling/hear-hear/ or this more amusing version here, here: http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=hear+hear

Oogiem

Registered
TesTeq said:
My sarcasm was unfounded even if my comment contained the proper, easy to find link. Probably no sarcasm is really useful in any circumstances.
Learn something new every day. I have to admit that I've never seen your posts as sarcastic or humorous at all. I frequently see you as pendantic, overbearing, often irritating and insensitive but over the years just learned that is who you are and ignore most of them when they offend me.

If I might suggest, next time you think about using sarcasm please let us all know that by including some instructions, it may be trite but using emoticons can really help :) or even write the sarcastic comment like we used to do on old BBS systems and were all programmers. I would have never thought that the message that prompted this was sarcasm but might have understood if you'd clued me in that was the intent. I'm not personally as fond of emoji but even they are helpful compared to reading plain text without the body language, inflection and other non-verbal interactions that are so critical to understanding humor or sarcasm.

DenaDahilig

Registered
For some of us that have been on here a long time, I think we have a sense of who we all are, at least in the public way we represent ourselves here. When someone (familiar or not) posts something that calls us out, it's great that we (in this case TesTeq) step up and own it if we need to. But if we're going to start generalizing about each other's character flaws unrelated to the topic, especially on a thread that is frequently searched, we misrepresent this community of very talented, productive and incredibly helpful GTDers. I'd like to respectfully recommend that if we take personal issue with someone's character that we use the messaging feature on the forums before we throw them under the bus publicly. Thanks for the consideration.

Dena

mcogilvie

Registered
stephenisthebaker said:
I know this is a bit of an older forum thread, but I wanted you to know that your responses on this thread are not only sarcastic, but also offensive and insensitive.

What you don't seem to understand is that some people have trouble with certain websites (this one included) when they try to use accessibility technology. (examples might include: screen-readers, screen-magnifiers, pointing assist devices, etc).
I want to thank you for the link to the workflow PDF file that you provided with your first response. It was the most helpful text you provided in this thread!

Your last response however, was less than helpful, in that the previous reply who was asking for the tickler file, was asking for the PDF that Mr. Allen refers to in the book when he talks about the tickler file. Yes, he mentions a PDF in that spot. If he didn't in your version of the book, then he did in my audio book.

Tes did not deserve this abuse. If stephenisthebaker has issues with Google and these forums regarding accessibility, Tes is not the person responsible. Tes is also under no obligation to ensure accessibility of his postings for all future readers, regardless of their abilities. A polite inquiry to Tes would surely have been responded to in a helpful way.

bcmyers2112

Registered
Wow. Is the Internet the home of the crazy or what?

stephenisthebaker: TesTeq provided relevant and accurate answers to two other forum members' questions. Your anger towards him is unwarranted and downright bizarre. As mcogilvie already said, had you politely asked for additional help you would have received it from TesTeq or another forum member.

TesTeq: Ease up, man. You don't owe an apology over this. You're owed an apology from stephenisthebaker.

Folke

Registered
Well said, bcmyers. If any apologies are owed then that duty rests entirely with stephenisthebaker. The post (not to mention the video) were distinctly rude.

I already said so in my previous post above, but then expressed it with a collective self-irony (there have been altercations here before) which I now realize may have been misunderstood by some. It is generally safer to express things in plain, unambiguous language.

TesTeq

Registered
Oogiem said:
Learn something new every day. I have to admit that I've never seen your posts as sarcastic or humorous at all. I frequently see you as pendantic, overbearing, often irritating and insensitive but over the years just learned that is who you are and ignore most of them when they offend me.

If I might suggest, next time you think about using sarcasm please let us all know that by including some instructions, it may be trite but using emoticons can really help :) or even write the sarcastic comment like we used to do on old BBS systems and were all programmers. I would have never thought that the message that prompted this was sarcasm but might have understood if you'd clued me in that was the intent. I'm not personally as fond of emoji but even they are helpful compared to reading plain text without the body language, inflection and other non-verbal interactions that are so critical to understanding humor or sarcasm.

Thank you. It is really a gift to have friends who give you a precise and sincere feedback because they want you to be a better person. I am really grateful that I can interact with you and other members of this community. And that you are patient enough... ;-)

TesTeq

Registered
Folke, Dena and bcmyers2112,

My initial comment should provide the "GTD Workflow map PDF" link only. There was no need to express my slight annoyance that people are asking for information before using Google. Maybe there is an accessibility problem that makes it difficult for them. So I apologize for unnecessary words in my comment.

TesTeq

Registered
Folke said:
It is generally safer to express things in plain, unambiguous language.

I often say it. But apparently the hard part for me is to practice what I am preaching. ;-)

Gardener

Registered
Forums have different moods. Some are hard-edged and plain-speaking, but generally well-meaning. Some are friendly friendly friendly, and tiptoe around the faintest edge of controversy. Some are a mixture that can operate as dysfunctional.

I perceive this forum as moderately dysfunctional, with a fair bit of "bite first, consider later" vibe. There are a number of thoughts that I've considered posting here--most recently, a sequence of thoughts about GTD and Kansan and how the two could be used in concert--and then I've decided that I'm just not in the mood to be bitten. And so I don't post.

And when I say that, my mind conjures up a scene with most of the posters here saying, "Good. Don't post. In fact, could you just shut up permanently?" That is also a problem. I'm not saying that my contributions are especially valuable, but the pervading sense of unwelcome that I feel here is, IMO, a problem, and I find it unlikely that I'm the only one that feels it. A forum, to be valuable, requires a certain critical mass of daily posts, and this forum has very few posts. And I don't know if it's realistic to expect that it will ever welcome enough users to change that.

TesTeq

Registered
Gardener said:
I perceive this forum as moderately dysfunctional, with a fair bit of "bite first, consider later" vibe.

I must admit I have the "bite first, consider later" attitude when I read a comment which shows that the commenter:
1) haven't read the Getting Things Done book (unforgivable ;-) );
2) haven't used Google search before asking a question (forgivable ;-) ).

On the other hand I see nothing wrong in expressing my strong opinions about ideas that do not work for me - for example:

TesTeq said:
I NEVER mix time-blocking with Next Actions. What's the successful outcome of "Spend fifteen minutes prepping notes for the WidgetBase meeting"? Fifteen minutes spent. In my world this NA would be "Prepare notes for WidgetBase meeting". I want high quality, good enough notes. Not 15-minute notes.

Maybe your approach to Kanban and GTD would work for me and for other forum members, maybe not. We'll never know... :-(

Folke

Registered
Yes, Gardener (and TesTeq). The Kanban approach certainly holds some promises. Did you see chirmer's brilliant example in another thread recently of how Trello can be set up for GTD? Apparently you have thought about it, too. And so have I and probably many others. This could be a whole topic in its own right.

I agree with your sentiment of often (still) feeling unwelcome here. I feels a bit as if I have stumbled into some kind of secret religious society in a remote valley on a different continent, where there are all kinds hidden rules, beliefs, perceptions, purposes and loyalties that I cannot quite figure. It seems that the most "welcome" type of new topics here are newbie questions. If somebody asks an innocent newbie question such as "how do I write down my actions" or "where do I put my files" you tend to see several people patiently writing long exposés on how you must empty your head, consider the next actions, separate them by context etc etc etc, over and over and over again in thread after thread after thread. A sense of tranquil contentment seems to arise from having that mantra regurgitated, the more often the better. But then there are other types of subjects and thoughts - better not mention any examples here ;-) - that seem to be utterly taboo even though under more "normal" circumstances (in your ordinary world) they would be perfectly legitimate.

DenaDahilig

Registered
Folke said:
But then there are other types of subjects and thoughts - better not mention any examples here ;-) - that seem to be utterly taboo even though under more "normal" circumstances (in your ordinary world) they would be perfectly legitimate.
I would love to know examples! Do we, seriously, have topics whose answers are taboo? I hope not! So if you can think of some, I'd be very interested in knowing.

And you make an excellent point about newbie questions. First, they are easier to answer, generally. Of course, "regurgitating the mantra" becomes second nature but, hopefully, we (and by "we" I mean "I") can really tailor the answers to fit the individual's concerns and not just spew the party line. And hopefully we're helpful, right? Secondly, the more feedback a new user gets, the more likely they are to come back, and the more likely they are to stay and contribute as they become more confident. That was certainly my experience. More users = more interaction = higher level conversations.

Folke said:
I agree with your sentiment of often (still) feeling unwelcome here. I feels a bit as if I have stumbled into some kind of secret religious society in a remote valley on a different continent, where there are all kinds hidden rules, beliefs, perceptions, purposes and loyalties that I cannot quite figure.
I clearly did not spend enough time on Connect in the past year because this and Gardener's comment about feeling unwelcome completely blindsided me.

I can only speak for myself, but in the prior years I was more active I never felt that, saw that or had that experience. Granted, perhaps many of the members from that time have moved on and many new users have arrived, but still... we are all here because we are looking for something to support our GTD practice, whether we participate in the forums, take advantage of the media libraries or simply check in to set an intention. As far as I'm concerned, no GTD-related topic is off limits.

In prior years the forums were MUCH more active. And I've often wondered what happened, if there was some glue that came unglued. I think I would be naive to ignore the fact that DAC has had a change in personnel... but that happens in every business. And perhaps David moving out of the country and taking a more supporting role contributes as well. But, again, founders move on. I'm going to assume that this is a lull, because I really value what DAC provides in terms of content (webinars, interviews, etc). And I'm in it for the long-haul.

So, let's move ahead. If you need an answer, ask, and if I can contribute to the discussion in any way, I'm all in.

Dena

Oogiem

Registered
DenaDahilig said:
In prior years the forums were MUCH more active. And I've often wondered what happened, if there was some glue that came unglued.
You can point almost the exact date that the forums became less active. The day after the switch of the forum software to the current system. That software conversion threw everyone who was active for a loop. It took what felt like months to get things mostly working and there are still major glitches and things that grate in terms of following and responding to various threads and posts. I saw a lot of folks who dropped off because they got tired of dealing with the hassles of trying to get the same interaction that the old software supported. It was a lot easier for most folks to move on to other forums where discussions are easier to do than stay here. The cost of GTD Connect is also a big issue, that forum change also happened just as the economy was tanking and removing the Connect membership fees is an easy way to reduce expenses. The combination of a difficult platform for conversations and high costs meant that as people's Connect memberships expired a lot of them didn't renew.

Newbies who came on after the forum SW change didn't have the history of conversations and many hadn't done what I consider basic due diligence when talking/posting in such a single topic focused environment. They needed to at least have read the GTD book once. It's like someone logging into StackOverflow and asking a basic question when they have never written a single line of working code before and hadn't read the installation instructions or the manual for their software platform. These forums are not general purpose and should not really be the place to discuss general time management topics. There is a place in Connect for that, the Lounge area, but the public forums are supposed to be very tightly focused on the practice of GTD topic as described in the books and on the software and systems that people use to implement those principles.