GTDers' Choice Awards: Ubiquitous Capturing Device

MrProactive

Registered
Palm Treo 700p - And, A Quick Plug

For me, it's my Palm Treo 700p. It goes with my everywhere, and the side Voice Memo button is perfect for a "bam! quickly capture something" moment. (Side Note: The old Voice Memo program was a little slow on the start -- probably not meeting the "5 second rule." However, after applying the Treo update, it is now perfect).

If you are an Outlook user, our product, Foresight, has a Quick Capture module that let's you quickly capture something. If it knows what to do with it, it will slam it into Outlook and you can continue working on whatever you were focusing on. If not, you can postpone finishing it till later during your "processing time." Honestly, it's probably my favorite feature of the software.

rlvesco7

Registered
Pocket PC with phatpad

For taking notes with the pocket pc there are two things that are essential.

1) a program that inks really well and is easy to access. I've found phatpad to be an excellent program it beats paper any day.

phatpad4.gif

2) I need to be able to keep my pocket pc phone easily accesible and safe. I found this tool to be indispensable. It allows me to access my phone with a simple click of a button. No awkward unclipping or putting back on your belt.

http://www.ebcases.com/-strse-3232/TechLock-Clip/Detail.bok

TechLock_1.jpg

D

DRVinc

invisible

My current configuration.

A black 1 1/2 inch three ring binder.
White dividers, with blank tabs that I can Context with labels made from my Brother Ptouch Label maker.
I using graph paper to divide-up where an action has been and where it is going and how it's referenced and to look smarter.
At the front I keep a daily sheet for quick access. It is used to remind me what day it is and for mileage, transactions, journaling, conversation logs and any other notes. Some of these entries go with my projects and tasks but at the end of the day it takes a couple of minutes to enter the data into my computer for later retrieval and proof that all those things happened.
I also keep my checklists at the front, or my day will be lost.

Separate from the binder is my calendar from At-A-Glance. This particular
selection is the best.

In my shirt or jacket pocket (minus a protector) I keep a Moleskine. It is for quick note-taking for when I am standing in lines. It also serves as my wallet.

I always keep a pen handy but I am always messing-up what I put down.
Because I don't feel safe keeping a bottle of White-out in my pocket I prefer
the Pentel e-sharp mechanical pencil. The best and most reasonable place to find one is probably your local Mom and Pop art supply store.

These essentials, along with a good book follow my busy and mobile days.

jrichardn

Registered
recording when running or cycling

hth;54320 said:
While cycling with my racing bike I carry a Moleskine Cahier.

How does that work, hth?

When I'm cycling I'm not going to stop, pull out a notebook and pen (I too use a Moleskine), and make a note. Ditto when I'm running. (For swimming I'll take for granted that nothing works. :)

I carry a Treo 700p usually, and in most contexts I can make a voice note. But on the bike that just doesn't work - 'way too much chance of dropping the device. I've tried digital voice recorders but had too much road noise, but I'm open to trying one again if someone has a recommendation.

The Treo's a bit bulky for some runs, and in bad weather I don't like carrying it anywhere accessible (e.g., I'll have it in a Ziploc bag someplace dry-ish).

Cheers, Richard Nelson, temporarily in Burnaby, B.C.

G

gpenguin

Kingston Secure DataTraveler

I have this really nice USB thumbdrive from Kingston which encrypts the data, and yes, its waterproof! My problem is I keep frying my laptop when I need to use it in the pool...

funkym

Registered
Todd V;54316 said:
The ultimate ubiquitous capturing device has the following qualities:

(1) You can take it with you anywhere
(2) It’s always with you
(3) You begin writing immediately (less than 5 seconds)

With all the options out there I’d like to know from others what their #1 choice is for ubiquitous capture. And I’d prefer it came from those who have been using that collecting device/method for over a year.

I am using my BlackBerry Curve 8320 with NextAction!. I assigned NextAction! to one of the BlackBerry's soft keys which allows my to access my task list in less than a second from within any program I am currently using. Adding a new task just works with the hotkey "N", the title line is selected by default, I enter the actual "next action", select a context and save. That's it :)

ckephart

Registered
I have used a number of capture tools over the past two years including a note taker (which I still carry), a voice recorder and finally JOTT from my phone. With the addition of the I-Phone APP store I have consolidated now to a simple voice recorder application that I downloaded for free. I almost always have my phone with me and I can make notes while driving or at a meeting. One caveat, you have to get used to people starring at you when you stop and capture a "voice note". Some think it is a bit strange. For those times when it is inappropriate to speak out loud I capture a note on the I-phone with text. There is an I-phone app called "You Note" which will let you capture a text note, a voice note, a web page or a picture in the same application. Good luck.