Guided mindsweep - proceed at your own risk! ;)

ekmorris

Registered
I thought I had a lot of mental clutter and was having trouble focusing so I found some time to do a guided mindsweep. Turns out to have been a good idea - there are over 100 new items in my inbox now. Although I'm now going to have to process them all, I'm glad they're out of my head!

Evelyn

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Good for you, Evelyn! So often people resist the Mind Sweep, or don't like the resulting volume. Speaking for myself, that stuff is already on my mind, so I might as well externalize it. Some of it may become a "No, not actionable" item, and my mind can let it go. But until I get it out of my head, it's taking more mental energy than it deserves.

CJSullivan

Registered
Grief & Relief!

Yes, it's like David says - there's always a mixture of "I wish I hadn't done that..." and "I'm so glad I did that!" after a particularly thorough mind sweep!

I must admit, I find the Mind Sweep one of the most "resistance-prone" parts of the Weekly Review - I have to be in just the right mindset and environment to be able to let my mind go. I've also found that the more diligent I am about capturing things as they come up, the more manageable the results of my focused mind sweep...

DenaDahilig

Registered
not a new thought, but...

It's not like no one has said this before, but I think it bears repeating...

Taking that walk through the house, around the yard, into the nooks and crannies of the office and, gasp, the garage, dredges up lots of mind-sweeping goodness. If I can get past the "I-don't-want-to-add-another-item-to-my-lists!!!" part of the exercise, it really very helpful. ;)

Dena