Has anyone implemented GTD in the Mailbox.org ecosystem?

ellobogrande

Registered
When I purchased an Android smartphone I switched my GTD system from a local MS Outlook profile to the Google ecosystem. Google Calendar, Tasks, Keep, Contact and Gmail have formed the basis for my cloud-based GTD system ever since. It's worked well for me.

Because of privacy concerns and the evil that Google has perpetuated on the world, especially in the last two years, I have a desire to move away from Google. It's hard because the products have worked so well and never failed me that I would be willing to pay for a premium service that guaranteed privacy of my data. But my private data is worth more to them than a reasonable monthly fee, so they will never offer that. However, I am not prepared to buy an iPhone or switch my laptop from Windows to Mac. I want to keep my Android phone but set up alternative services.

I decided to switch (most of) my email to Mailbox.org so that Google won't snoop on my email and sell it to third parties. Mailbox.org offers most of the services that Google offers including calendar, tasks, docs, etc. in a single suite, but it doesn't have any mobile apps of its own. I am not sure how to reliably sync PIM (personal information management) apps like Calendar with my Android phone. I would need to use a third-party app like DavX5 to synchronize them with non-Google equivalent apps. I find the process daunting and scary because I don't want to destabilize my system or add resistance to it.

Another issue is that my employer has blocked access to sites like Mailbox.org but has left most of Google (except Gmail) accessible. I won't be able to access my GTD system on my work computer if I switch. That will add resistance as I hate typing on my phone. To a GTD system, resistance is fatal.

I'm not sure that I'm going to be able to completely separate with Google unless I get rid of my Android devices and go 100% Apple. Even if I did, what's to prevent Apple from exploiting its user base like Microsoft and Google did? Should I even bother trying to migrate away from a system that has been working so well for me despite the privacy concerns?

I'd like to hear from other GTD practitioners who have successfully made the switch from Google to other applications or who have dealt with this conundrum.

Thanks.

Cpu_Modern

Registered
Your privacy concerns are an important issue to which I am very sympathetic. I am not sure if I am understanding the other issues you describe fully, though.

Why do you need the phone? Why do you need your GTD system at work?

At my last corporate job I just used the Microsoft profile assigned to me for all the work stuff. I took a paper notebook to work for personal capture and other notes. Separation of work and play helped to move through the weeks in a good constitution, I may add.

The only thing I need my phone for is to make online banking simpler for me. Yeah, it's nice. I like some of the other abbilities… Still, I don't need it strictly speaking.

What I would do, if I had to use a phone, well, I use text files, with org mode and sometimes markdown or taskpaper

Org mode can do all the calendaring and all that stuff for you without relying on a cloud, plus it's text files, which are the real thing™.

1. Get started with Org mode (without Emacs)
  2. Org mode app for Android
It would be what I'd do anyway. Choose text files for a happy life in independence.

Maybe you could ellaborate more on why and how you want to have access to your whole personal system at work? (BTW, isn't that a contradiction to your privacy concerns…) …and we could take it from there…

P.S. America!

ellobogrande

Registered
Your privacy concerns are an important issue to which I am very sympathetic. I am not sure if I am understanding the other issues you describe fully, though.

Why do you need the phone? Why do you need your GTD system at work?

At my last corporate job I just used the Microsoft profile assigned to me for all the work stuff. I took a paper notebook to work for personal capture and other notes. Separation of work and play helped to move through the weeks in a good constitution, I may add.

The only thing I need my phone for is to make online banking simpler for me. Yeah, it's nice. I like some of the other abbilities… Still, I don't need it strictly speaking.

What I would do, if I had to use a phone, well, I use text files, with org mode and sometimes markdown or taskpaper

Org mode can do all the calendaring and all that stuff for you without relying on a cloud, plus it's text files, which are the real thing™.

1. Get started with Org mode (without Emacs)
  2. Org mode app for Android
It would be what I'd do anyway. Choose text files for a happy life in independence.

Maybe you could ellaborate more on why and how you want to have access to your whole personal system at work? (BTW, isn't that a contradiction to your privacy concerns…) …and we could take it from there…

P.S. America!
I require the ability to access my GTD system from my work computer because it's easier and faster for me to make a task or calendar entry on the desktop than on my phone. I don't want to have to start typing on my phone just to define a new task. Often times when I define an action I also might copy and paste text from my computer into the description field. I can't do that if I have to use my phone. Switching devices creates resistance.

I experimented with DavX5 from the F-Droid store and was able to synchronize calendar, tasks and contacts from my Mailbox.org account. Unfortunately, the client apps compatible with DavX5 (e.g. Opentasks and jtxBoard) didn't allow me to set up categorized lists. I could only sync with one physical Tasks list. I also couldn't set up a set of GTD lists inside of Mailbox.org web interface.

No third party app is going to beat out Google Calendar, Contacts and Keep for Android phone users. They are reliable, stable, integrated and simple to use. These third-party apps that run on CalDAV and CardDAV just don't come close. I'm abandoning my research and going back to what I know works well.

I've learned there's only one way to truly guarantee privacy of your GTD system: take it offline. Go low-tech or mid-tech with a paper planner. I'm not willing to do that. Paper doesn't whistle at me when it's time for me to be somewhere. My only other high-tech alternative is change everything over to Apple and that's simply not an option for me.

slienau

Registered
No third party app is going to beat out Google Calendar
I use connected Google Calendar to mailbox.org caldav due to privacy concerns. Works perfectly fine.
For contacts, I use mailbox.org CardDav (using the apple Contacts app on macOS and iOS)

Attachments

• IMG_5241FB16450A-1 2.jpeg
    IMG_5241FB16450A-1 2.jpeg
    307.5 KB · Views: 3