Have a Palm Centro - is there anything better?

tominperu

Registered
I have a Palm Centro on which I use Keysuite Chapura. It works brilliantly for GTD synching with Outlook at work. The only problem with it is the websurfing experience is poor. I'm therefore thinking of buying another phone which is better for the internet but still also good enough for GTD.

Requirements are:

Ability to post date tasks/to dos so they appear in the future.
+20 categories for notes.

Other things I like on Palm: Diddlebug which allows me to scripple notes with the stylus.
The ability to hide notes with unhide using a password.
I like a real keyboard rather than "on screen" as on the iPhone.

You may have cottoned on that I see the Centro as a hard to beat but I know it will be replaced sometime (I may lose the Centro) and I might as well consider options now.

There seems to be some pretty good deals on Blackberrys so I'm thinking about them. I can't really afford the monthly fees for the Palm Pre.

Thought I'd put this out there to see what people come up with.

mcogilvie

Registered
tominperu;83874 said:
I have a Palm Centro on which I use Keysuite Chapura. It works brilliantly for GTD synching with Outlook at work. The only problem with it is the websurfing experience is poor. I'm therefore thinking of buying another phone which is better for the internet but still also good enough for GTD.

Requirements are:

Other things I like on Palm: Diddlebug which allows me to scripple notes with the stylus.

You have have cottoned on that I see the Centro as a hard to beat but I know it will be replaced sometime (I may lose the Centro) and I might as well consider options now.

There seems to be some pretty good deals on Blackberrys so I'm thinking about them. I can't really afford the monthly fees for the Palm Pre.

Thought I'd put this out there to see what people come up with.

The best browser seems to be the iPhone, but the newer RIM phones are also webkit based and should be good. The new windows 7 phones don't look too good for business use yet. I'm happy with my iPhone, but it's not the best option for everyone.

Oogiem

Registered
tominperu;83874 said:

What carrier is your phone service?

SOme of the Android phones are really nice, they also have keyboards so are closer to Palm than iPhone or iPods. Personally from talking to folks who have used both Palms & Blackberries I eliminated Blackberries from my consideration. I'm also on Sprint so iPhone is not an option. I ended up keeping my old Palm but moving all my GTD stuff to an iPod Touch. My Palm phone is dying now so I'm probably going to be getting a really stupid phone, hubby will get the smartphone, an android and I'll tether using a wifi hot spot if I need to connect to the internet. We are almost never apart from each other so piggybacking on his phone will work for me.

What I did was make a project of investigating phone, I created a spreadsheet with my must have tools and then kept track of each SW package I'd need on each platform and where possible I tested it and entered in my results. It made it obvious that an iPhone would be perfect, but we do not have any decent ATT service here so I backed into the iPod configuration.

Really thinking your absolute requirements and your nice to haves may make the decision equally obvious for you.

tominperu

Registered
Sorry I should have mentioned I am in the UK. I didn't think it was a big issue.

I am on Orange here but am thinking of changing to Virgin Media just because it means free calls from home to mobile and cheaper anyway all round. This might all mean nothing to someone in the States!

tominperu

Registered
mcogilvie;83875 said:
The best browser seems to be the iPhone, but the newer RIM phones are also webkit based and should be good. The new windows 7 phones don't look too good for business use yet. I'm happy with my iPhone, but it's not the best option for everyone.

I guessed the best browser might be the iPhone but it really is too expensive for me here in the UK. You'll have to explain what RIM and webkit based means I'm afraid!

clango

Registered
tominperu;83896 said:
it really is too expensive for me here in the UK.

I think the less expensive are the android phones. And the HTC for examples ( Desire HD or EVO) sometimes are better than the Iphone as you can see in comparison on you tube. Then on the Android phones you can have apps like Got To Do, Due Today or others that work pretty well.

Oogiem

Registered
tominperu;83895 said:
Sorry I should have mentioned I am in the UK. I didn't think it was a big issue.

It is, in that you will pay full price for your handset but can choose any carrier. Here in the states carriers have different handsets and some, like the iPhone are not available on all carriers. Part of that is due to the 2 competing cell phone systems and some of it is due to the way they are allowed to tie handsets to particular services here that is illegal over there.

With any choice open to you I'd really go through the handsets offered and see what works. Do your carriers allow a 30 day free trial of any phone system? If so could you narrow the selection down to a couple and try them out before your final choice?

glad to learn that i am not the only Centro user left

I find myself faced with a same dilemma and I fear the day my centro crashes and burns and I agree about the web surfing etc -- we centro users are a generation or two behind the curve -- but I still covet the way things transfer so wonderfully between my Outlook 2007 system to the device

sorry I have no words of solid advice but I am sending across the pond my sincerest empathy -- my personal backup plan is to try the Palm Pre as first option, a Blackberry next for these reasons:

As I understand it, the pre can use chapura pocketmirror and basically sync with outlook much as my centro does. sounds like a seamless transition -- they even mention GTD in there promo copy (but doesn't everyone?). I know you say that may not be an option for you due to cost so you'll have to calculate your own cost/benefit ratio. On the other hand, Palm itself is becoming yesterday's news in the tech world.

GTD has a whitepaper availbale on the Balckberry so that gives my comfort that I'd be able to adapt my system to the new operating system ... somehow. blackberry is much more ubiquitous than palm -- there has to be a way to make it work. I assume what bb would give up in terms of a seamless transition it would gain in terms of more apps etc.

please keep us posted as you transition and good luck

petdr

Registered
Another (former) diehard Palm OS (Centro) User

I have more current mobile devices for work but still love what PalmOS can do for me. You have to be a PalmOS PIM user to know why some of us lament what's missing in current devices. Alas, that demographic is too small and apparently, not enough to keep the company viable.
I've tried different OS and am currently loving my Palm Pixi on Sprint. I actually have the EVO and Blackberry Style on Sprint also (for work) but all my GTD (life) is on Pixi.

I can appreciate the awesomeness of EVO and Style but they just did not meet my need. I'm also a tinkerer at heart and WebOS Homebrew apps allow me to turn Pixi into a phone that's pretty much tailored to my needs.

Here's what I have so far, not sure if it would work in your situation:
* Toodledoo and Done! handle my NAs, lists, etc... benefits of cloud syncing but still have a local copy on my Pixi (not reliable on internet). I paid the annual subscription fee for Toodledoo and use the subtask feature to help manage projects. If I find it not useful, I can always drop the upgrade next year. So far though, the subtask is helping a lot.
* Simplenote and Noted! to manage my notes (memos). I was able to easily import my 1000+ memos from a decade of Palm use into Simplenote and sync to Noted!. Can access Noted! on Pixi without web access (that's key for me. I do not want to rely on the clouds for everything).

Toodledoo has notebooks (but are not sync-able to Pixi yet) that I can use to hold my project support materials. I'm still deciding to do that vs. keeping the support material in the notes section of the tasks.

References that are to be kept around for a while, I keep in Simplenote/Noted! -- paranoid that I would delete them along with the tasks if I can leave them in the task's notes.

For the hard landscape, I use the native Calendar with Ubercalendar app. Have all the stuff available in my Google calendar also.

Now, probably THE most important feature that makes my Pixi my go-to device over the fancy EVO and Style is the ease and quickness of capturing.

I installed Command Line and Universal Search Command Line for Memos patches that allow me to enter notes, tasks, appointments directly into the appropriate apps without having to access the apps themselves. Waiting for the app to launch may only take 2-3 seconds but coming from Palm days where I can jot things down after pushing a hard button, that ruined the flow of things for me.

Now, I can unlock my Pixi (if it was off) and type (without having to go to any app):
.qt get cat litter (then press enter)
and that's it. "get cat litter" gets added to my Tasks. Now, since I use Done! for my GTD, I have to later transfer that NA into Done! (or Toodledoo) if I want it to be in my GTD system. I treat this as another Inbox.
Of course, I can add "get cat litter" directly into Done! by going to that app, etc... but I prefer the quicker Command Line.

I can do similarly with memos (.qm) or appointments (.qe). With appointments, I can type:
.qe Dinner 6p-8p 11/26 at Mom
and have that Dinner added to my calendar, blocking off 6pm-8pm. I can do any edit for details later if I want.

Anyway, there are many little features that make Pixi (and I assume Pre) so workable for my GTD. I guess one may find similar features in Androids and Blackberries but after playing with EVO and Style, I just was not attracted enough to them to spend the time "hacking" them. AND you can't beat the size and form factor of Pixi!

Multitasking on WebOS is amazing but if you like widgets, Androids would be for you. I don't need widgets. Everything written above is what keeps my GTD set-up together and whichever device can do that wins my vote. So EVO and Style stay at work for my co-workers to use. Pixi is with me most of the time.

To OP, Blackberry latest OS 6.0 on Style has a great web browser -- a lot better than earlier BB browser. I was able to access medical sites (that use odd frames and flash) with Style that I couldn't with EVO or Pixi.

I am a diehard PalmOS user but I must say WebOS is working out more than alright for me.

tominperu

Registered
BenvenutoCellini

Great, we are not alone! I'll keep you posted but there may not be a change over for quite a while. For the moment the Centro is not broken so why "fix it".

Maybe the Palm Pre will go down in price but I somehow doubt it.

tominperu

Registered
petdr

I didn't know about the Palm Pixi and will check it out further. From a quick search on the net I can't find out if it runs any Chapura software which I have great confidence in after my experience with the Centro.

petdr

Registered
Chapura PocketMirror

Tominperu,
I don't use Outlook but from the WebOS fora, many Pre/Pixi user mention Chapura PocketMirror. Take a look at these links:
PocketMirror
A review of PocketMirror on PreCentral
And FWIW, a GTD blurp.

I looked at what they have for GTD and I guess, if you have to use Outlook, then PocketMirror may work for you. To be honest, the combination of Toodledo and Done! give me more flexibility than PocketMirror and Tasks syncing. With the custom views in Done!, I can have a list of NAs with tag @Comp that are also only for projects that have to move forward this week (vs. those in 2 weeks -- note:my active projects are those I'm working on in the next 2 weeks) so I can focus on them when I'm in a time crunch.

tominperu

Registered
Yes, synch to Outlook is still a requirement for work.

That seems to clinch it. If I lost my Centro tomorrow I guess I'd be buying a Pixi a couple of days later. Seems its only available on the O2 network here but presumably that wouldn't be a big problem.

Thanks fo the info.