Heavy physical inbox?

Jay Levitt

Registered
I need a physical, letter-sized inbox that:

* Stacks two high
* Is completely open on the edge, no lip
* Faces "sideways" (e.g. the long edge is the open edge)
* Is as enclosed as possible on the side so papers can't fall out
* Is as heavy as possible, because my cat likes to push it off the desk. Plastic, mesh, lightweight metal are totally out.

It's the last one that's hard to find these days. Anyone have a set they like that they could recommend?

Jay Levitt

Registered
You hung your cats on the wall??? :)

I thought about that, but I actually need this on a specific place on my desk, for two reasons:

* I need it within arm's reach when the cat (18 pounds) is on my lap. That way, instead of "Oh, no, I'm trapped by a heavy cat, I'll just waste some time on the computer while we hang out", it's "oh! I can't avoid it now, I'll process my inbox."

* More importantly, the inbox is going to sit right in front of my sheetfed scanner. That has a flip-up tray in front, and said cat strongly believes that that tray belongs on the floor, and should not be attached to the scanner at any time. If I put my inbox in front of it, I solve this problem too. The tray stays flipped up, and he can't get to it to knock it loose.

(It was during this second revelation that I discovered a wire mesh inbox was no match for him.)

I'm some some of those fancy "executive" desk sets will do the job; they just don't usually list weight as a spec :)

Jay

jmhutch

Registered
Yes, I would imagine that hanging the cats on the wall would solve the problem.:p

Why not attach the inbox to your work surface? Couple of screws might do the trick.

Although, I could also imagine if the cat can't manipulate the inbox, it may take up manipulating the *contents* of the inbox instead just to spite you...if that happens, perhaps trade the cat for a dog.:twisted:

cornell

Registered
I use the heavy-duty black metal stacking ones you can buy at office supply stores. They aren't the mesh ones - they're steel, and I think meet your requirements. I have five of them. For example, see here.

Hope that helps.

Jay Levitt

Registered
@cornell: I checked out the Steelmaster ones at the store, but still too light. I need at least 5 pounds (the cat is 20). Perhaps I could cast one out of molten iron.

@jmhutch: Screwing into the desk is a great idea. It's shiny melamine-laminated MDF, so I don't *think* about it being "fastenable" like plywood, but of course it is. I hate permanently modifying things, but if I can't find something made of hardwood or with a weighted base, I think that's the way to go. Thanks for the idea.

I don't think he'll play with the papers too much; he's really just interested in nuzzling the scanner tray (which pops loose easily) or the inbox. He's not really playing with it, just marking it and getting a nice corner cheek-scratch.

@jennifergeorge: That is a great motto! LOL.

Jay Levitt

Registered
Problem about to be solved: there's an art supply store across the street. I bought one sheet of heavy cardboard matting and a spray can of Super 77 adhesive. They cut the mat into 9 equal-sized pieces.

I take the pieces, I glue them together into "plywood" with the adhesive, and I now have a weighted base. I can screw (or cable-tie) any inbox I want into it without damaging the desk or having to choose a permanent desk arrangement. Cost: about 15 bucks.

MrProactive

Registered
Jay Levitt;54677 said:
I need a physical, letter-sized inbox that:

* Stacks two high
* Is completely open on the edge, no lip
* Faces "sideways" (e.g. the long edge is the open edge)
* Is as enclosed as possible on the side so papers can't fall out
* Is as heavy as possible, because my cat likes to push it off the desk. Plastic, mesh, lightweight metal are totally out.

It's the last one that's hard to find these days. Anyone have a set they like that they could recommend?

Have you looked at Levenger? They have some nice stuff, like this one.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Jay Levitt

Registered
I actually called and asked the store about that very item last week (we have one of the few Levenger stores here in Boston). They told me it was fairly light. If you know otherwise, let me know! I still haven't made my ply-paper base yet... (it's been too rainy/snowy to open the windows for the glue)

MrProactive

Registered
Beautiful Here in Phoenix

63 degrees here in Phoenix! :) I love this time of year!

No; no personal experience on that item. I have associates with the "writing desk" thing and it is very well built -- I figured the "shelves" might be the same.

If you don't find what you are looking for, I have a friend in Arkansas that is a GREAT craftsman and woodworker in a huge, heated shop -- I bet he'd custom make it for you. Might be a little more pricey, but, you would get exactly what you are looking for.

Best,

-- Jeffrey

Zenistar

Registered
Another option would be to make a false bottom for any tray using a thin sheet of lead (normally comes on a roll for roofing and can be easily cut to size), with a cut piece it could be covered in felt or another fabric so that it sits snugly in the bottom of your trays.

Jay Levitt

Registered
Brilliant!! That will look much nicer than my ply-paper (especially since they didn't quite cut the pieces the same size).

I have a friend who's a design/build guru. He probably either has some on hand or will, as soon as he starts his next project.

Thanks for the great idea. 8-pound sheet lead is only 1/8" thick.

R

Resmi

My cats used to do the same thing. Then I hung them up on the wall.

Now only one cat jumps on *top* of it

Marina
LOL! I wish i could do that with mine.