Help with a task from the GTD methodology!

zoro_22

Registered
Hello, everyone!

One question came up as I was trying to find out how to apply the GTD technique in my daily life. Tasks that can be put in the inbox but must be completed before the next mini or weekly review may be done. I'll use a ridiculous example. I'm at work when I realise I need to go to the store for milk, so I write in my email. However, before going to bed, I always do a quick review of my day. As a result, I go to the store and "purchasing milk" isn't on my "errands" list because it's still sitting in my email, unprocessed.

Anyone have any suggestions about how to deal with it? Thanks!

Last edited:

Gardener

Registered
As a result, I go to the store and "purchasing milk" isn't on my "errands" list because it's still sitting in my email, unprocessed.
For this specific example, I'd maintain a grocery list and put the task straight in there, instead of having it go through inbox processing.

I'm not sure how generalizable that is. More examples could be useful.

Murray

Registered
Yes I would usually put that straight on my errands list. If it's something I want to get done on the same day then I'd also use the "my day" feature of Microsoft To Do so it shows up in my "My Day" list. Could also use the calendar as Mary has noted.

There are two advantages for me of putting it on the errands list (plus linked to "My Day") rather than only calendar. One is that if I don't get it done today it will still be there as a option for tomorrow. The other is that I'll be prompted to see my other errands when I go get milk.

Oogiem

Registered
Anyone have any suggestions about how to deal with it? Thanks!
For me capture of something simple like that results in capture, clarify, organize all in one go. So First I capture in my mind I need milk, then I clarify, that is something that I have to do ASAP, and I organize it into my shopping list right then. It would enver make it to my email or any inbox because it's so simple. So perhaps some other types of actions might be more useful examples?