Helpful thought for new, and perhaps old, GTDers

KW7

Registered
For the last few months I've been thinking about switching from my current Evernote driven system to either Nirvana or Nozbe. I've been bogged down in my system for a while, haven't had a full weekly review in a while, and assumed that some new snazzy software would magically fix everything. That's the setup paragraph.

A year ago, I added a GTD log in Evernote and made updating it part of my weekly review template which I print and check boxes as I complete the steps. Who doesn't love to check boxes? The log or diary is just a place for me to note how the week went, what I was doing well related to GTD, and where I was failing with an idea or two about how to improve

The log has been good as it helped me to see progress over time when I really didn't feel like I was making any, especially when I first began using GTD. And, here's the important part, when I read it last week as part of my software comparison I saw that there are two steps of the process where I fail very consistently -- multiple entries over a year point to these areas. Importantly, the software packages won't fix either of these problems.

So the point to share from my very long-winded story (I stink at brevity) is ad a log/diary to your review. Just adding one or two sentences can help you serve almost as your own coach over time. I'm sure Nirvana and Nozbe are great but, for now, I don't want to add "Learn new software" to my task list when I clearly have a few important things I need to work on first.

Merry Christmas, folks, and thanks to all of you for the great info you share. Hopefully this word salad helps someone out there.

rtaylor913

Registered
Thanks for your observation. Sometimes, we think the new anything will fix our problems. I think the log idea is great because you get to find out what you need to do first.