• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

@Home and @Work

  • Thread starter Thread starter dbobfish
  • Start date Start date
D

dbobfish

Guest
Currently I am just getting to grips with GTD as a relative newbie.

I have been using the GTD system at work and at home and it is working superb - really has started to make a huge difference - I now work more effectively with - it seems - less effort than I used to. Great.

However, I am listing all of my NA's for work under @work and all of my personal NA's within the regular Action Lists @Calls @Erands etc.

I'm thinking that maybe others of you perhaps have a different set up and list all calls - whether work or personal - under the @calls category and similar for @Erands and the other categories, and maybe have no @work category.

Just want to get a feel for how others deal with the work and personal divide.
 
I have some contexts at work (@office, @call, agendas, waiting for) as well as @errands, @home, @call@home.
Normally I have no errands for my office, so the main divided context ist @call. The difference between the two @call lists is primary the time when I can call the person. Office calls are normally on working days between 8-17. Private calls else, only private calls to companies or government agencies mix in the @call list.

Yours
Alexander
 
I use
@CALLS-PERSONAL
@CALLS-PROFESSIONAL

Keep experimenting.
@WORK is probably too general. Perhaps you mean @OFFICE-DESK?
Think about the different CONTEXTS you use at your workplace.
 
Yeah - yeah - that's the problem!

@work is too vague. Everything I had regarding work, be it calls or whatever context, would just go into the @work category.

So yeah I can see how something like

@Calls - Personal
@Calls - Professional

Would be really useful - and similar with the other categories.

Previously I was looking into my @work at a long list of NA's and sifting through them to decide what I could do next, 'No - that's a call, I'll do that later when I'm by the phone...'

Personal organisation has really improved, now I want to make the same progress with the GTD system at work. So thank you for your feedback.
 
Having taken all of this in and thought about it some more, I have changed my categories around into a way I think will better work for me.

@Personal - Agenda
@Personal - Calls
@Personal - Computer
@Personal - Erands
@Personal - Home
@Personal - Read/Review

@Work - Agenda
@Work - Calls
@Work - Computer
@Work - Read/Review

When I'm at home I just check the personal stuff - forget work pretty much, and visa versa. Plus all of the categories remain in a clear order on my pda (Pocket Informant) and on the Desktop PC (Microsoft Outlook)

Going to try this for a while and see if it helps.

Regards
Dbobfish
 
dbobfish said:
Previously I was looking into my @work at a long list of NA's and sifting through them to decide what I could do next, 'No - that's a call, I'll do that later when I'm by the phone...'

The whole point of contexts is to avoid having to do that.

I work out of a home office, so I mix work and personal items together. Probably not much help, huh?

Katherine
 
Also, try rereading several times the DA chapters from the GTD book on Contexts, and pro-personal. It can take a few careful readings to see what he is saying.
That being said, I think its good to try different things, and see how they work.

But also, I would also suggest careful review of what DA has said about the context lists. He was pretty clear in not separating pro-personal, and gives his reasons for this.
On the other hand, I THINK he gave the pro-personal separation in the @CALLS list, but not in the book. (can't recall)

PS: what I am really saying is that, like in music, its best to carefully master the "rules", before we break them.
 
dbobfish said:
Currently I am just getting to grips with GTD as a relative newbie.

I have been using the GTD system at work and at home and it is working superb - really has started to make a huge difference - I now work more effectively with - it seems - less effort than I used to. Great.

However, I am listing all of my NA's for work under @work and all of my personal NA's within the regular Action Lists @Calls @Erands etc.

I'm thinking that maybe others of you perhaps have a different set up and list all calls - whether work or personal - under the @calls category and similar for @Erands and the other categories, and maybe have no @work category.

Just want to get a feel for how others deal with the work and personal divide.

What I do is lump telephone calls that I need to make at work under @Work, becuase they can't be done anywhere else.

For example, when I'm at home and scan my calls list, I won't be able to do any of my work related calls because all of the information I need is at work.

The only calls that go on my @Calls list are the calls that I can make from anywhere.

All of the stuff in my @Work category is items that can only be done at work. All of the stuff that can only be done at home are in my @Home category, etc.

Hope this helps,

Jim
 
CosmoGTD said:
try rereading several times the DA chapters from the GTD book on Contexts, and pro-personal. It can take a few careful readings to see what he is saying.

what I am really saying is that, like in music, its best to carefully master the "rules", before we break them.

Yeah - I'll take another good look at that tonight

And Katherine -
"Probably not much help, huh?"

Well, you know I've read a lot of your posts on this site and really appreciate some of the neat suggestions you come up with. So it feels kind of cool when I got a response from you. Probably a good chance to say 'Hey - good going Katherine!'

Anyway - back to what we were talking about - yeah, you work from home, ok makes it easier....? Well no, I guess I have the advantage of 'leaving' work physically - whereas for you you, work and home are mixed physically. I can imagine GTD's been real godsend in this sense.

(I must stop making such long posts!)
 
Personally, I keep two separate GTD systems, one at work and one at home. I initially had them mixed, but that just didn't work for me. My work and home lives are pretty distinct, so that helps.
 
dbobfish said:
Having taken all of this in and thought about it some more, I have changed my categories around into a way I think will better work for me.

@Personal - Agenda
@Personal - Calls
@Personal - Computer
@Personal - Erands
@Personal - Home
@Personal - Read/Review

@Work - Agenda
@Work - Calls
@Work - Computer
@Work - Read/Review

Another thought, if the above idea doesn't work or turns out to be too many contexts: you could split between @Calls_Day and @Calls_Night or something along those lines. As others have mentioned, it really depends on how split you are between the two.

An example would be making a doctor's appointment. Can't really do that at night if they are closed, plus since the visit would most likely occur during the day, you'd need your calendar available. Another example would be calling a friend to chat -- during working hours (day for me), they are also working. So, even if I have a free few minutes, odds are they won't.

Gena
 
Top