Horizon of focus

Hydro

Registered
Hi

I use GTD methodology since 2 years and I handle horizon 0, 1 and 2.

I understand that horizon 5 is about my principles and values. All my tasks / projects must fit them.

My problem is to understand how horizons 3 and 4 are handle other time.

Let's take an example, I define my h5 with : "live in a house". We are in 2019, so I don't expect to buy a house before 2022.

In 2020, I'll review my horizons. I still expect to buy an house around 2022.

My horizon 4 move to horizon 3 ? On 2021, my horizon 3 move to horizon 1 ?

Or horizon 4 still horizon 4 until my vision is fulfill ? And it triggers (or not) project on lower horizons ?

When I listened webinar on GTD Connect, she talked about one horizon of David Allen : trip to Italy.

She said that "trip to Italy" was on his horizon 4 list then on horizon 3 and finally on horizon 1

So I'm little disappointed, how to manage horizon during time ?

Are they only projects lists to move other time or h4 is a real vision ?

Thank for your enlightenment.

PiotrS

Registered
Actions and projects are the things you should manage. Areas, goals, vision, purpose - these should only give you direction, motivation and ideas for your next actions. In 2020 you most likely still have the same life purposes and values, but your goals can change dramatically, you will be wiser than you're now, you will have new good and bad experiences, you will be basically a different person. Write what you want in your life right now, review and update it from time to time, prioritise your projects and actions to go in desired direction, and that's all there is to managing higher horizons :)

RS356

Registered
Hi

I use GTD methodology since 2 years and I handle horizon 0, 1 and 2.

I understand that horizon 5 is about my principles and values. All my tasks / projects must fit them.

My problem is to understand how horizons 3 and 4 are handle other time.

Let's take an example, I define my h5 with : "live in a house". We are in 2019, so I don't expect to buy a house before 2022.

In 2020, I'll review my horizons. I still expect to buy an house around 2022.

My horizon 4 move to horizon 3 ? On 2021, my horizon 3 move to horizon 1 ?

Or horizon 4 still horizon 4 until my vision is fulfill ? And it triggers (or not) project on lower horizons ?

When I listened webinar on GTD Connect, she talked about one horizon of David Allen : trip to Italy.

She said that "trip to Italy" was on his horizon 4 list then on horizon 3 and finally on horizon 1

So I'm little disappointed, how to manage horizon during time ?

Are they only projects lists to move other time or h4 is a real vision ?

Thank for your enlightenment.

If I understand correctly, you’re defining goals that you’d like to accomplish in the long term. I wouldn’t get tripped up the horizons model. The important thing is capturing your goals, reviewing them regularly, and taking appropriate action to move them forward.

The distinction between projects and larger goals can be hazy, but under a strict definition, projects are outcomes you’ve committed to accomplishing in the next 12-18 months. (Please correct me if I have the timeframe incorrect). I don’t tend to move my larger goals between horizons.

I use the SMART framework to create my larger goals (the acronym is Smart, Measurable, Actionable, Realistic, and Time-bound). Using your example of of purchasing a home, I might define a SMART goal as “My family and I have purchased and moved into a home that suits our financial means and lifestyle, and enables our happiness by December 31, 2022.

This goal will define certain Areas of Focus that I’ll need to maintain over the next few years to support this goal, such as:
* sound financial management and wealth building
* relationship with my spouse
* career stability

These areas then inform my projects for the next few months.
* Create a long- term savings plan
* Find and retain a financial advisor
* Increase my net salary by 10% by December 2019.
* Research home buying process in my state.
* Define my dream home (Location, size, needs, wants, etc.)
* Plan a date night for September 2019

And each project will have at least one next action.

I hope this is helpful. Key point: Capture your larger goals, review regularly, and let them guide you in defining your projects and actions.

Hydro

Registered
Thank for your help.

If I understand well, h4 stay h4 until fulfill and trigger h3/h1 every time I need from a review, right ?