Horizons of Focus at work - getting clarity

mksilk2

Registered
Having recently started a new role I have had the luxury of a bit of time and space as I get up to speed at a different company to think about my GTD system for work. For the first time in my career I spent time and effort in thinking about my HoF for my role. I have found the process incredibly useful. I have gained clarity on how the work I do fits in to my broader purpose, vision, objectives, areas of focus & responsibility, projects and ultimately next actions. I use a mindmap (xmind, free and works across windows and iOS) with labels applied at each level. Using the filter/search capabilities of the software I can filter on any project and it shows the links from project and all the way up to vision. I use it to validate the projects I am getting involved in, ie does it fit in my purpose and vision and if so how. Does anyone else do this for their work?

ivanjay205

Registered
I do this regularly. As a business owner it helps me TREMENDOUSLY as I find a lot of drift in my world. Every year I create a detailed business plan for where I want to go as a company. Quarterly I review the financials against my projections to ensure we are doing well (monthly reviews of statements but quarterly is a deeper dive), I review my business plan, and I do a detailed eval on higher horizons. I find often start of the quarter I am very aligned after this process and as I get further down I drift into people asking me to do things. It keeps me laser focused on my goals and objectives and encourages me to delegate what I should not be doing.

That being said.... the business plan is really a function of the higher horizons. My partners never see that process but my end of year offsite strategy day for myself is a day dedicated to collecting feedback from my department heads, really thinking about my higher horizons and my long terms goals, and how do I translate them into action in a business plan.

Works well for me and keeps the company moving forward!