How do future actions become next actions?

danrneal

Registered
I know from the title, it seems obvious.... future actions become next actions when the action before it is done! But humor me for a second....

Suppose I have a simple task/project with the following steps:
Project: Create a thing
1. Write the thing
2. Send the thing to X to look over
3. Revise the thing
4. Get the thing approved
5. Submit the thing

I have "Create the thing" on my projects list and "Write the thing" on my next actions list with all my other actions that may be one-offs or may be projects.

Every time I do a next action, do I check my projects list to determine if this was a project and then come up with the next next action to put on the list? Or am I supposed to remember (ie hold in my head) that this was part of a larger project and then automatically come up with a next next action? Do I just check it off and then come up with the next next action during my weekly review (this could cause a delay of a week!).

So I guess my question is how do I tell the actions that are one-offs from the actions that are projects on my Next Action list and when should I decide and clarify the next next action if it is a project?

(For reference, I am using Gmail, Google Cal, and Google Tasks and am not interested in changing my toolset at the moment.)

mcogilvie

Registered
I know from the title, it seems obvious.... future actions become next actions when the action before it is done! But humor me for a second....

1. Write the thing
3. Revise the thing
5. Submit the thing

I have "Create the thing" on my projects list and "Write the thing" on my next actions list with all my other actions that may be one-offs or may be projects.

Every time I do a next action, do I check my projects list to determine if this was a project and then come up with the next next action to put on the list? Or am I supposed to remember (ie hold in my head) that this was part of a larger project and then automatically come up with a next next action? Do I just check it off and then come up with the next next action during my weekly review (this could cause a delay of a week!).

So I guess my question is how do I tell the actions that are one-offs from the actions that are projects on my Next Action list and when should I decide and clarify the next next action if it is a project?

(For reference, I am using Gmail, Google Cal, and Google Tasks and am not interested in changing my toolset at the moment.)
Most people do go through a quick check to see what the next next action is when they finish a next action. In most cases, this is when you are going to know the most about what’s next. Sometimes the next action is not obvious, and you a need a process next action, like “R&D next action on Jones project.” Sometime this exercise gets omitted; the weekly review is your safety net.

The association of projects and next actions is tricky. I think the basic rule is: do what you need to do to make it all work. Many people just know, many people annotate their next actions in some way, and many people use apps that associate projects and next actions. It looks like you need to be in the 2nd group. Based on experience, I recommend keeping it simple and uniform: “do next action + project alpha-one.” Use a delimiter, “+” in my example, that is fast and easy to type. Being able to duplicate next actions will also speed up list maintenance a lot.

pgarth

Registered
I like mcogilvie's response, as it raises the age-old question of linking Actions to Projects.

In your example, it looks like you've done some Project/Action Support analysis/forecasting before starting the Project, because you have all the future actions listed out. I typically do this as well, being hyper-associative. One idea is to house all these projected actions within the Project, and then refer back to it after completing an action.

For projects that appear to be recurring, I would reflect back on a completed project and ask yourself if this really could be a checklist. Then, for future projects, you could copy and paste all the actions from the checklist into your new Project (action support page). The idea is that you're not having to "remember" all these action steps for each project, and there is an intention of continuous improvement.

One thing I've done over the years to help me remember "beyond the current next action" is a THEN statement.

For example, within Context of @Computer:
Review SW Advocacy site (Robbie); THEN add to my pg.com site

In this example, I'm reminding myself of the future next action, which (in this case) means that I probably don't have Action Support for that specific project someplace. I'm keeping my eye focused within the Action, and can switch contexts if needed.

I've also done something like this:

Review SW Advocacy site (Robbie); THEN XREF to Action Support for next.

For me, this is really needed to keep me focused, as I'm known to have multiple locations of Action Support.

Hope my additional nuance doesn't confuse things here.

Continued success.
Paul

GTDengineer

Registered
Create a checklist with all the known steps and store it in your project reference material.

Add the new next action whenever you finish the last one for that project by referring to the checklist.

Use the weekly review to make sure the project is making progress, and confirm at least one next action is actually identified in the appropriate action list.

Last edited:

Jared Caron

Nursing leader; GTD enthusiast

1. Write the thing
3. Revise the thing
5. Submit the thing

I don't think there's one right way to do this, and I've found it depends on the project. Some complex projects require more intentional planning of future actions, others are more organic.

I find most of my projects do not require much advance planning. A lot of times I will only have 1 next action for a project. When I complete it, typically I start thinking of the next steps and I'll capture them then. If I for some reason fail to capture the next step, the weekly review acts as the fail-safe.

There are some that will require more elaborate planning, and that information is stored with project support. When I choose to review it depends on a few things:
  1. do I have the time and energy to review my plans now? (e.g. calendar check) if not, I won't *though I try to capture a next action of "review project plan for..."
  2. how time-sensitive is the project?
  3. am I in a "zone" of thinking about this project, having ideas, etc. - if so i try to take advantage of that headspace and stay in that project mode, granted that the answer to #1 is yes.
  4. Planning and brainstorming can be next actions in themselves. I often find these landing on my calendar to ensure the appropriate amount of time allotted. Don't try to jam all your project planning into your weekly review, that will eventually overwhelm you, especially if you have a lot of complicated projects. Honor the act of planning and brainstorming and don't be afraid to treat it like any other action.

rbngp

Registered
I would also consider these ones (ditch them if not helpful, though):
  • planning sometimes may be overrated, as many projects just require outcome and next action (and not every possible action that, perhaps, in the future won't be necessary).
  • if recurring/similar projects with linear multistep approach, consider support material for review or even checklists (maybe subtasks in Google tasks?).
  • checking if there is any subsequent NA every time you check off a NA may be a sign of not reviewing enough the system.