How do I setup a great filing system?

Elena

Registered
Hi Dave!

You didn't mention whether these are files that stay next to you, ie current stuff, or files that are for reference later, or archives.

It sounds to me as though you may be worried about finding something if your mind doesn't trigger the right words on the label.
That's one of the nice things about using the labeler, is when you want to redefine your label, type type type, voila! A new label more suited to you. Don't feel odd if you need to change the labels.
If these are current projects or reference for active projects, you'll probably be in them enough to be able to find what you need. Your next action might even be the trigger to take you to where you need to go in the files.
If these are reference/archives, then maybe what you need is an index. The Paper Tiger software is basically that, indexing your papers, and providing you with a quick way to search among them.
You can create an index as well. Whether you use software, an address book, rolodex, whatever works for you, it just takes some discipline to jot down alternative reminders.
For example, I always keep repairmen's names and addresses in my rolodex. However, I can never remember their names because I may only need them once every few years. So I put in a duplicate reminder card called Plumbers, See ______. or ______ or _______ but don't use _______. So when I need to call one, I can just look under Plumbers, and not look in past checks or bills for a company.
In my files, I may file something like my Frequent Flyer statements under F, but I put a reminder under A for Airlines, and under T for Travel. I use a numbering system as well as A-Z, but I didn't want to get into that here, it can be confusing. I hope I haven't really confused you now with this long post! Good luck!

Elena

R

Ray2

Elena said:
That's one of the nice things about using the labeler, is when you want to redefine your label, type type type, voila! A new label more suited to you. Don't feel odd if you need to change the labels.
Elena
Definately! For some reason, I've rarely had a problem with my paper files, maybe something to do with physically puting something into a drawer, but I've changed e-mail folders a number of times. Sometimes you've just got to start and make it better as you go.
Once you add spouses or worse, whole offices, the tag system sounds like a good idea.