How do I sync Outlook tasks with Entourage

mrben

Registered
I just got a Macbook Air - it was just too gorgeous to ignore. Now I have to work out how to get my tasks and notes from Outlook via Exchange Server. Anyone found a way to do it?

Also, is there any sync software that will let me sync my Mac docs with docs on my NAS backup?

thanks!

Ben

mbolick

Registered
To sync documents just use rsync. As far as connecting to an exchange server your best bet (i.e. only bet) is to use Entourage by Microsoft. Entourage 2008 works pretty well.

-Michael

mrben

Registered
thanks guys, that's really helpful. The trouble is, it's not a one-time transfer of data - I'll still use my PC. So I need the tasks and notes to be in sync with Outlook and Blackberry (with Next Action), via Exchange Server. I'm using Enterage, but the tasks and notes don't come across at the moment.

any ideas?

thr61

Registered
Entourage does not sync notes and tasks via Exchange. It is a huge shortcoming of the application and there is no good way around it. The only real option is to use Missing Sync to manage those items via a hard connection.

mrben

Registered
I'm still stuck

Well, I sorted the task and notes sync by running Outook via Parrallels.

But I'm really stuck on document synchronisation and would really appreciate some more advice. I've looked into 'rsync' (thanks mbolick). But it needs scripting and I'm not a techie.

Is there any straightforward way to sync docs between and Mac and NAS? I want to continually 'mirror', so when I make changes to a document, the changes are copied so each location has the up-to-date version.

I wonder if .Mac is another way to do it, but it doesn't seem to sync document. On PC I've been usine SmartSync Pro, which is excellent. Maybe I should give up with Mac OS and just go Windows via Boot Camp! It would make life easier.

thanks!

mcogilvie

Registered
I'm not sure exactly what you want, but .mac copies changed documents between all synchronized machines and a central store. However, if you are using a windows machine as well, you may prefer another online storage service- or use a USB drive if you can.

wordsman

Registered
The objective is to have the same copies of all documents on both PC and Mac. I was planning to use my NAS for backup - so PC and Mac would sync to that.

It sounds like .Mac would achieve that, but I'm not sure if it'll sync with a PC.

cheers

jeremyhoff

Registered
mrben;57535 said:
I just got a Macbook Air - it was just too gorgeous to ignore. Now I have to work out how to get my tasks and notes from Outlook via Exchange Server. Anyone found a way to do it?

Microsoft now offers "Exchange Web Services" which is currently in open beta for Exchange 2007. With this, anyone using Entourage may sync Tasks, Categories, and Notes from their corporate Exchange server. It's a great upgrade, and works nicely in my experience.

With it, I'm now able to skip using Outlook even though I'm primarily using Mac.

Hope that helps.

Julian

Registered
FolderShare = Windows Live Sync

Get a free account at https://www.foldershare.com/
Your files will sync across selected directories of Macs and Windows machines. There is no "cloud" storage, so at least 2 machines must be on the internet at the same time to sync. Intranet is even faster.

I've been using this solutions for several years.

Files deleted from machine A will also be "deleted" from machine B. But, to protect data, they are actually moved to a "deleted" folder that is not emptied along with system trash folders.

thr61

Registered
jeremyhoff;64796 said:
Microsoft now offers "Exchange Web Services" which is currently in open beta for Exchange 2007. With this, anyone using Entourage may sync Tasks, Categories, and Notes from their corporate Exchange server. It's a great upgrade, and works nicely in my experience.

With it, I'm now able to skip using Outlook even though I'm primarily using Mac.

Hope that helps.

I tried the Web Services beta and it completely hosed my copy of entourage and required me to spend about 5 hours rebuilding. I had checked my system and met all of the requirements, yet it just froze up and would never connect to my Exchange 2007 server (even with the most recent service packs and patches.) It sounds like you have had a better experience -- did you have any trouble with it at all? Has there been another beta build released?

I too want to wirelessly synch tasks and notes with my blackberry via exchange and entourage, but have not yet found a way to do so.