How do you know you are doing GTD?

Barb

Registered
Me

When I wake up each morning with a clear sense of what I'll accomplish that day--and actually hit those targets and when I go to bed at night I relax very easily with nothing on my mind except the book I'm reading.

cmcantwell

Registered
Hitting curve balls

When life throws me a total curve ball and I can take the necessary time to deal with it because I know exactly what needs to be renegotiated.

annewalsh

Registered
I know I am doing GTD...

Recently I've been having that mind like water feeling more and more (as opposed to a few months ago when it was more like a full spin washing machine) so that is one thing for me. The other thing is that I have hardly any "emergencies" because I am dealing with things when "they show up, not blow up". Other things are that I'm getting to more and more things on my someday/maybe list. Capture is now becoming a habit and I have more bandwidth...

bhenry86

Registered
Someday/Maybe I will be there ...

Kelly,

One of the Coaches replied:

For me, it's about every day making the commitment to change those behaviors and try and practice the best practices of control and perspective. I do the tactical part of GTD, process to 0 on a daily basis or at least within 48 hours. I do my Weekly Review weekly, pay attention to what has my attention, and try to stay as conscious as I can to my spiritual, mental, emotional and physical open loops.

(underlining added)

When I get there ... well, then I will have "beginner's mind" and "mind like water."

Can you give us clue whose reply that is? Please ...

Bill Henry
Honolulu, HI

Oogiem

Registered
Love This!

BjornLjunggren;85304 said:
acting inside of the box and thinking outside of the box.

I LOVE this, saved to my database of inspirational quotes.

Thank you!

jason.verly

Registered
GTD is the box. I am doing GTD when I am acting inside of the box and thinking outside of the box.

Completely agree! This is exactly how I would put I know when I'm doing GTD.

Roger

Registered
I find mechanically that "churn rate" and "dwell time" are useful indicators:

Churn rate: How many items are entering the system, and how many items are leaving the system, on an average day?

Dwell time: How long is the average item staying in the system? How old are the oldest items?

I personally find it's easy for me to jump to the conclusion that I'm "doing GTD" but if I can see objectively that nothing has hit the Inbox for a couple days, then that's a hint that maybe I'm not doing it as much as I could be.

Cheers,
Roger

TesTeq

Registered
Great quote! I hope David Allen will include it in his quotes database!

GTD is the box. I am doing GTD when I am acting inside of the box and thinking outside of the box.

Great quote! I hope David Allen will include it in his quotes database!