How do you use areas of focus?

folke123

Registered
Hi guys!

I am implementing GTD "from the bottom up" as suggested by DA and feel that I have a quite good grip on capturing my open loops, having projects, using my waiting for list, using S/M lists, etc.

But I am not so sure about the "higher levels" especially the "areas of focus"

Currently, my areas of focus are:

• Work (I work as a software developer and work basically on all the code stack, so I can't really (or at least don't know how to) break it down to more areas as DA suggests in the book)
  • Political engagement
  • Side hustle
  • Economy
  • Health
  • Friends (added last weekly review)

And I check them but basically do nothing with them on each weekly review (Don't really know what I should do with them)

I get that they should represent important areas of your life, and I feel that mine are, but I am not really sure what to do with the list to give me any value!

So an array of questions:

1) How/why do you use them? (How should you use them?)
2) Do you just use them to check sometimes that might trigger projects?
3) Do you connect your projects to your areas of focus? (I think I've read about people doing that to see how much they work with each area and to see that nothing gets neglected)
4) Do you use sub-areas?
5) How do they differ from the "higher-level goals" (Like for example I have a goal "Become financially independent" and an area called "Economy" since that is important for me, to me that feels quite similar, except that the goal is more concrete) I also have a goal like "get a post in the city council" which also feels more concrete than "Political Party name" as my area of focus is named

Thanks!

GTDengineer

Registered
These higher level lists are simply mental triggers to remind you that you may want to plan projects and actions to make progress towards your goals and visions in these areas.

mcogilvie

Registered

Actually, my areas of focus influence not only projects and next actions, but also goals et cetera which are higher levels of the hierarchy.
No
3) Do you connect your projects to your areas of focus? (I think I've read about people doing that to see how much they work with each area and to see that nothing gets neglected)
The software that I use supports this connection. Otherwise it’s too difficult.
4) Do you use sub-areas?
Not really.
5) How do they differ from the "higher-level goals" (Like for example I have a goal "Become financially independent" and an area called "Economy" since that is important for me, to me that feels quite similar, except that the goal is more concrete) I also have a goal like "get a post in the city council" which also feels more concrete than "Political Party name" as my area of focus is named
I use “Money” as an area of focus. It is there at many levels. Saving for retirement is a long-term goal. At the highest level, I have “Financial security for life, wife and beyond.” Together these give rise to projects like “Find a financial advisor“ and actions like ”check quarterly statement.” It’s not a top-down or bottom-up hierarch, but organized by frequency of review needed. It is a hierarchy of focus.

gtdstudente

Registered
Hi guys!

I am implementing GTD "from the bottom up" as suggested by DA and feel that I have a quite good grip on capturing my open loops, having projects, using my waiting for list, using S/M lists, etc.

But I am not so sure about the "higher levels" especially the "areas of focus"

Currently, my areas of focus are:

• Work (I work as a software developer and work basically on all the code stack, so I can't really (or at least don't know how to) break it down to more areas as DA suggests in the book)
  • Political engagement
  • Side hustle
  • Economy
  • Health
  • Friends (added last weekly review)

And I check them but basically do nothing with them on each weekly review (Don't really know what I should do with them)

I get that they should represent important areas of your life, and I feel that mine are, but I am not really sure what to do with the list to give me any value!

4) Do you use sub-areas?

Thanks!
Thank you very much for bring up one of my favorite and most productive GTD subjects/topics as it pertains to "from the bottom-up" 'Organize' for less on-going deliberation energy.

I attempt to monitor/review my life-parameters (obligations/responsibilities) for 'Mind Like Water' and keep my mind from going numb by way of these Four discreet Areas of Focus and know what Particular Areas of Focus has potential Project(s) which are clearly encompassing either Excess(es)-or-Defect(s) for Next Action(s). This allows me to more readily identify more easily to rid of any Excess(es)-or-Defect(s) Projects in my life's parameters (obligations/responsibilities).

As such, if any Particular Areas of Focus has neither Excess(es)-or-Defect(s), then that Particular Areas of Focus will be without a Next Action(s) and as such is in a 'let go' Equilibrium State to facilitate a "Mind Like Water" :) Ps. As a little short-cut mental tip, 'Excess(es)' tend to need 'Emptying' while 'Defect(s)' tend to need 'Filling':

Four compass coordinates for instant 'ground' and to always know what I am not doing

1(East). D I V I N E (meaning being in the state of All Accepting, Divine dependence/Union, Peace-of-Soul Spiritual-Health) Extrinsic / Intrinsic [Intellect {Examine-Conscience, Truth-Contemplating/Meditating}, Offerings [Glorifying(s), Thanksgiving(s), Reparation(s), Petitions(s)], Volition {Intention(s), Habits/Skill(s) Development}], Works-of-Mercy (Corporal-&-Spiritual), etc.

2(North). H E A L T H (Corporal-Health, Energy, Vibrancy, Vitality) . . . all relationships Extrinsic to the Divine: Antagonists[Adolescences]-to-Avoid: Envious, Jealous, Saboteurs and Protagonists-for-Mature-Engagement(s): Acquaintances, Clients, Colleagues, Family, Friends, Providers, and Self, Works-of-Mercy (Corporal-&-Spiritual), etc., Intrinsic Body, Dental, Emotional Balance(s) {Aversions-&-Desires}, Daily-Exercises, Habits/Skills Development(s), Good Hydration/Nutrition (Medications, Supplements), Quality-Sleep, Phantasm (Vivid Imagination-&-Clear Memory)]

3a. (South). U T I L I T Y (Decoration, Props, Tools, Utilities (Minimized) for A. External use: Car, Cell, Coordinates [All, NE, NW, SE, SW], eBay, Internet, ect. B. Tools for Internal use: Calendar-&-Tickler, Computer, Bicycle(s), Home [Appliances, Basement, Bathroom, Bedrooms, Computer, Kitchen, Office, Laundry-Area, etc.], etc.
3b. Props,

(West). F I S C A L (Prosperity) External/Internal concerns: Assets, Debts, Expenses, Income, Insurance, Taxes, etc.

Last edited:

TesTeq

Registered
I use “Money” as an area of focus. It is there at many levels. Saving for retirement is a long-term goal. At the highest level, I have “Financial security for life, wife and beyond.” Together these give rise to projects like “Find a financial advisor“ and actions like ”check quarterly statement.” It’s not a top-down or bottom-up hierarch, but organized by frequency of review needed. It is a hierarchy of focus.
@mcogilvie That's the problem that I struggle with from the beginning of my GTD journey: Money. Let me explain:
  • If I have my savings - that's "Money" Area of Focus;
  • If I have home and I have a mortgage and taxes to pay - that's "Money" AoF but also "Real Estate" AoF;
  • If I bought a car on credit and I have installments to pay - that's "Money" AoF but also "Car" AoF.
Money is a universal value carrier so "Money" AoF has common parts with all other areas. But I would prefer sharp divisions!

mcogilvie

Registered
@mcogilvie That's the problem that I struggle with from the beginning of my GTD journey: Money. Let me explain:
  • If I have home and I have a mortgage and taxes to pay - that's "Money" AoF but also "Real Estate" AoF;
  • If I bought a car on credit and I have installments to pay - that's "Money" AoF but also "Car" AoF.
Money is a universal value carrier so "Money" AoF has common parts with all other areas. But I would prefer sharp divisions!
I think that overlap of areas is just the nature of things. You’re right that money is an acute case, but I think it’s similar to the filing system problem: do you file under “car” or “auto” or “Honda” or what? There has to be an intuitive dividing line at the lowest levels: car payments with bills to pay and hence ”Money”, but maintenance-related things (next actions, projects, reference) are ”car”, which I classify as part of “Household”.

At the higher levels, the overlap can’t be handled in the same way. I might want that trip to the Galapagos (my wife is a biologist), which falls into my “Travel” area, but “Money” is a factor, and right now “Health” is too. So right now the Galapagos trip project is Someday-Maybe, somewhere around the 2-5 year horizon. I think the model actually works pretty well for me.

At a practical level, you can associate next actions and projects with multiple areas if you use a tagging system. Then the question becomes “Is the value worth the effort?” I suspect for most people and most list tools it’s not.

gtdstudente

Registered
I think that overlap of areas is just the nature of things. You’re right that money is an acute case, but I think it’s similar to the filing system problem: do you file under “car” or “auto” or “Honda” or what? There has to be an intuitive dividing line at the lowest levels: car payments with bills to pay and hence ”Money”, but maintenance-related things (next actions, projects, reference) are ”car”, which I classify as part of “Household”.

At the higher levels, the overlap can’t be handled in the same way. I might want that trip to the Galapagos (my wife is a biologist), which falls into my “Travel” area, but “Money” is a factor, and right now “Health” is too. So right now the Galapagos trip project is Someday-Maybe, somewhere around the 2-5 year horizon. I think the model actually works pretty well for me.

At a practical level, you can associate next actions and projects with multiple areas if you use a tagging system. Then the question becomes “Is the value worth the effort?” I suspect for most people and most list tools it’s not.
Love the idea of also using Someday/Maybe also for further/until clear classifications/divisions present themselves for their true purpose/value . . . thank you

Cpu_Modern

Registered
Work (I work as a software developer and work basically on all the code stack, so I can't really (or at least don't know how to) break it down to more areas as DA suggests in the book)
- career development (for example giving speeches at OSS events in order to establish yourself as the go-to guy for a specific subject matter)
- professional development: learning thing, getting an AGile cert, bullying your employer to pay for a webinar, etc

Cpu_Modern

Registered
Money is a universal value carrier so "Money" AoF has common parts with all other areas.
Sure, but money is only one of these things. Another one is health. No health, everything sucks. If health bar goes to zero, existence stops. So the "universiality" of health is even bigger than that of money. The other two are relationships (Covey) and your decision in terms of life purpose (50,000ft).

gtdstudente

Registered
I think am empathetic and sympathetic to your 'struggle' classifying "Money" and, as such, this is how I 'manage/classify' it as simply as possible without getting too deep into accounting - used just as a thinking apparatus. According to my parameters Fiscal/Money [alphabetically ordered] includes: Debts, Income [and A/R], Expenses (and A/P), while Assets are Tool(s) [Props] and include all tangibles: Appliances, Books, Cars, Computers, House, ect. OK . . . clear? Now these Tool(s) only have a Fiscal/Money classification if there is a Payable Notes/Obligations attached to them, i.e., Loan on the Car, Mortgage on the House, etc. and remains as a Project concern(s) until the Fiscal/Money Obligation is completed/resolved . . . If the Car is Debt-Free and the House is Mortgage-Free, ect. then they are no longer a Fiscal/Money Project concern(s) unless they are to be sold. Annual Car, House insurance premium(s), Taxes, etc. if paid in full only a Fiscal/Money issue upon Renewal otherwise not a Project(s) concern(s). If being paid via monthly installments then it remains a Fiscal/Money ongoing Project/Next Action concern(s). Moving on . . . let's say the the Car needs new tires, repair, ect. and the House needs a need a new appliance(s), roof(s), etc. . . . until those Project concerns are addressed, completed, and paid-for-in-full they remain a dual Project concern(s) Fiscal/Money and Tool(s) concern(s). Thus, bottom-line, when that has been accomplished and exist in one's life without a Fiscal/Money obligation then the Tires, Appliances, Roof, ect. are, along with their Warranties, etc. now simply have one classification: Tools. Hope this has contributed some degree of increase in "Mind Like Water" for you and others. Thank you. :)

Ps. For Fiscal/Money and Tool(s), I also make distinction(s) between Practice [pA: for Check-List(s), Habit(s)/Protocal(s)/Skill(s) Fluency(ies)], Persons [pR: for Harmonious/Reciprocity Relationship(s) including with the Divine {perennially-outdone, and as such, always behind the '8-Ball' :) } and self], Props [pP: usually an Empty-State is optimal], and Provisions [pV: usually a Full-State is optimal] and would be happy to express those applicable distinctions to anyone that might be interested. Thank you.

Last edited:

Oogiem

Registered
I keep my AOFs as a separate list but then I review al my projects through that lens.
I use them at my quarterly reviews and yes, I do use them to be sure I am keeping a balanced approach to my projects. If I have an AOF with no projects I look at why and try to adjust. That said I have an AOF of World Traveler and needless to say, NOTHING got done on that in over a year. :)
Yes, I do not like not knowing what AOF(s) a project can be attached to. My big breakthrugh was that a single project can cross AFOs and that is ok.
4) Do you use sub-areas?
Yes, For example I have an AOF of Sheep Flock and Farm Management and I have sub areas of Our own Desert Weyr Flock and also the national flock (actually US and Canada) as I ma the registrar for the association. It actually crosses over into Community Involvement AOF too.
I don't really have higher level goals as such. I have goals that may take years or decades to realize but they are not "higher level" per se.

Murray

Registered
Sure, but money is only one of these things. Another one is health. No health, everything sucks. If health bar goes to zero, existence stops. So the "universiality" of health is even bigger than that of money. The other two are relationships (Covey) and your decision in terms of life purpose (50,000ft).
It's all connected!

Attachments

• DPTqTSMW0AAqZc-.jpg
    DPTqTSMW0AAqZc-.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 18

tonymymd

Registered
Thank you very much for bring up one of my favorite and most productive GTD subjects/topics as it pertains to "from the bottom-up" 'Organize' for less on-going deliberation energy.

I attempt to monitor/review my life-parameters (obligations/responsibilities) for 'Mind Like Water' and keep my mind from going numb by way of these Four discreet Areas of Focus and know what Particular Areas of Focus has potential Project(s) which are clearly encompassing either Excess(es)-or-Defect(s) for Next Action(s). This allows me to more readily identify more easily to rid of any Excess(es)-or-Defect(s) Projects in my life's parameters (obligations/responsibilities).

As such, if any Particular Areas of Focus has neither Excess(es)-or-Defect(s), then that Particular Areas of Focus will be without a Next Action(s) and as such is in a 'let go' Equilibrium State to facilitate a "Mind Like Water" :) Ps. As a little short-cut mental tip, 'Excess(es)' tend to need 'Emptying' while 'Defect(s)' tend to need 'Filling':

1. Spiritual-Health (Divine dependence) Extrinsic / Intrinsic [Intellect {Examine-Conscience, Truth-Contemplating/Meditating}, Offerings [Glorifying(s), Thanksgiving(s), Reparation(s), Petitions(s)], Volition {Intention(s), Habits/Skill(s) Development}], Works-of-Mercy (Corporal-&-Spiritual), etc.
2. Corporal-Health (Energy/Vibrancy/Vitality) . . . all relationships Extrinsic to the Divine: Antagonists[Adolescences]-to-Avoid: Envious, Jealous, Saboteurs and Protagonists-for-Mature-Engagement(s): Acquaintances, Clients, Colleagues, Family, Friends, Providers, and Self, Works-of-Mercy (Corporal-&-Spiritual), etc., Intrinsic Body, Dental, Emotional Balance(s) {Aversions-&-Desires}, Daily-Exercises, Habits/Skills Development(s), Good Hydration/Nutrition (Medications, Supplements), Quality-Sleep, Phantasm (Vivid Imagination-&-Clear Memory)]
3. Fiscal (Prosperity) External/Internal concerns: Assets, Debts, Expenses, Income, Insurance, Taxes, etc.
4. Tools/Utilities (Minimized) for A. External use: Car, Cell, Coordinates [All, NE, NW, SE, SW], eBay, Internet, ect. B. Tools for Internal use: Calendar-&-Tickler, Computer, Bicycle(s), Home [Appliances, Basement, Bathroom, Bedrooms, Computer, Kitchen, Office, Laundry-Area, etc.], etc.
This was particularly helpful for me. Noticed many did not like your comment bc "perhaps" it looks cumbersome to understand.

tonymymd

Registered

1. Spiritual-Health (Divine dependence) Extrinsic / Intrinsic [Intellect {Examine-Conscience, Truth-Contemplating/Meditating}, Offerings [Glorifying(s), Thanksgiving(s), Reparation(s), Petitions(s)], Volition {Intention(s), Habits/Skill(s) Development}], Works-of-Mercy (Corporal-&-Spiritual), etc.
2. Corporal-Health (Energy/Vibrancy/Vitality) . . . all relationships Extrinsic to the Divine: Antagonists[Adolescences]-to-Avoid: Envious, Jealous, Saboteurs and Protagonists-for-Mature-Engagement(s): Acquaintances, Clients, Colleagues, Family, Friends, Providers, and Self, Works-of-Mercy (Corporal-&-Spiritual), etc., Intrinsic Body, Dental, Emotional Balance(s) {Aversions-&-Desires}, Daily-Exercises, Habits/Skills Development(s), Good Hydration/Nutrition (Medications, Supplements), Quality-Sleep, Phantasm (Vivid Imagination-&-Clear Memory)]
3. Fiscal (Prosperity) External/Internal concerns: Assets, Debts, Expenses, Income, Insurance, Taxes, etc.
4. Tools/Utilities (Minimized) for A. External use: Car, Cell, Coordinates [All, NE, NW, SE, SW], eBay, Internet, ect. B. Tools for Internal use: Calendar-&-Tickler, Computer, Bicycle(s), Home [Appliances, Basement, Bathroom, Bedrooms, Computer, Kitchen, Office, Laundry-Area, etc.], etc.
Can you expand 4?
What is behind (Minimized)?
Why "Coordinates [All, NE, NW, SE, SW]"?

gtdstudente

Registered
Can you expand 4?
What is behind (Minimized)?
Why "Coordinates [All, NE, NW, SE, SW]"?
In regards to 4. Tools/Utilities: Basically 'anything' tangible is a Tool, be it for Utility or Decoration, as listed in the original post. In my mind, these Tools are to facilitate/leverage productivity, spiritual inspiration, peace-of-soul, ect., and includes everything as one of my four Areas-of-Focus.
In terms of minimized, the GTD sort of expresses, 'one wants as many Tools as necessary and no more,' to which has me in complete agreement, since all 'Tools/Props' require some degree of 'unproductive' maintenance even if only some cleaning.

btw: Maintenance [= 'Hidden' Perennial Cost(s) ] is a huge 'Worthy' factor in determining if anything/something makes it from the Someday/Maybe List to a Project List. As such, Bernie Madoff's wife was actually happy when the the FEDs confiscated 'their' Palm Beach mansion, which for her, was simply a hassle she no longer cared to 'own.' Think again before wanting that "Mega-Millions $700M-ish 'Prize'?" LOL

While far from critical, on this end since original post, are four is now three and three is now four:
3. Tools/Utilities and 4. Fiscal due to its more immediate proximity.

Coordinates are 'directions' from home for Agenda/People and Errands.
All would include Big-Box Stores and chains are ubiquitous while seeing a particular friend would only be SE [Southeast from home] Ps. My Phone Contacts are pretty much set up the same way so that I can maximize the quadrant when I am in that quadrant among other possibilities.
Yes . . . like cars . . . roads and stores are deemed 'Tools/Utilities'

Clear? If still unclear your further inquiry is welcomed. Thank you

Last edited:

tylerlchase

Registered
In regards to 4. Tools/Utilities: Basically 'anything' tangible is a Tool, be it for Utility or Decoration, as listed in the original post. In my mind, these Tools are to facilitate/leverage productivity, spiritual inspiration, peace-of-soul, ect., and includes everything as one of my four Areas-of-Focus.
In terms of minimized, the GTD sort of expresses, 'one wants as many Tools as necessary and no more,' to which has me in complete agreement, since all 'Tools/Props' require some degree of 'unproductive' maintenance even if only some cleaning.

btw: Maintenance [= 'Hidden' Perennial Cost(s) ] is a huge 'Worthy' factor in determining if anything/something makes it from the Someday/Maybe List to a Project List. As such, Bernie Madoff's wife was actually happy when the the FEDs confiscated 'their' Palm Beach mansion, which for her, was simply a hassle she no longer cared to 'own.' Think again before wanting that "Mega-Millions $700M-ish 'Prize'?" LOL

While far from critical, on this end since original post, are four is now three and three is now four:
3. Tools/Utilities and 4. Fiscal due to its more immediate proximity.

Coordinates are 'directions' from home for Agenda/People and Errands.
All would include Big-Box Stores and chains are ubiquitous while seeing a particular friend would only be SE [Southeast from home] Ps. My Phone Contacts are pretty much set up the same way so that I can maximize the quadrant when I am in that quadrant among other possibilities.
Yes . . . like cars . . . roads and stores are deemed 'Tools/Utilities'

Clear? If still unclear your further inquiry is welcomed. Thank you

I'm wondering what tool you use to track all of this? I'm currently using Evernote and am fairly certain I won't be leaving it any time soon. It's the best thing I've used in the last year and a half of GTD. That includes Notion, Todoist, Any.Do, Things3, TickTick, and OneNote.

In addition to the tool that you use, I'm wondering how you set it up, taking all of your "definitions" into consideration. For example, using a note-app such as Evernote, there are various levels - Tags (labels), Tasks, Notes, Notebooks, and Stacks of notebooks. Using what you've described here, I believe I'll be creating a Notebook called "Areas of Focus" and have a Note for each one of the discreet areas as you've described here. I really resonate with your specific description of your areas which is why I'm so intrigured. Thanks for all of your insight!

gtdstudente

Registered
I'm wondering what tool you use to track all of this? I'm currently using Evernote and am fairly certain I won't be leaving it any time soon. It's the best thing I've used in the last year and a half of GTD. That includes Notion, Todoist, Any.Do, Things3, TickTick, and OneNote.

In addition to the tool that you use, I'm wondering how you set it up, taking all of your "definitions" into consideration. For example, using a note-app such as Evernote, there are various levels - Tags (labels), Tasks, Notes, Notebooks, and Stacks of notebooks. Using what you've described here, I believe I'll be creating a Notebook called "Areas of Focus" and have a Note for each one of the discreet areas as you've described here. I really resonate with your specific description of your areas which is why I'm so intrigured. Thanks for all of your insight!
Thank you for your very kind GTD encouragement. . . .

Like to think minimal . . . mostly Paper, Clip-Board, Warm-Pen (Warm Ink reduces Ink Friction/Viscosity {Pen behind the ear helps}), Colored: Pens, Folders, Paper, need to get me some colored Post-Its . . . Spreadsheet for Online References (Data), DOCs Landscape (4 Columns). Colored Notebook for Each Area-of-Focus . . . nice!

This is a quick reply . . . any questions . . . please ask away.

Go bananas with creativity . . . with Simplicity as the Guiding Star for minimal maintenance, use effort, etc.

Ps. Recently added Coordinates (NE, NW, SE, SW) for paraphrasing: knowing what I am not doing and could do, page 186 and page 195 for second GTD edition

Pps. For the most part, only able to trust Email, Word, and Spreadsheet for digital Apps/Tools. Like the Palm-Pilot, Lotus Notes, Wunderlist, etc. they come and go along with one's 'investment': Time, Effort/Energy, Fiscal, etc. . . . "homey don't play that. . . ." LOL!

Last edited: