How important is calendar integration to you?

Jeff Osborne

Registered
I've been using Nirvana for a while. Mostly because of it's simplicity. But I always have to have my icloud for Windows Calendar open on my PC (so my iPhone is updated) to duplicate nirvana scheduled tasks.

Does the lack of calendar integration in Nirvana bother people. If not, how do you handle scheduled events. Do other apps do calendar better? Thanks

Adam23010

Registered
Things 3 integrates pretty well with calendars. I switched back to Nirvana recently (again) mainly because I'm using a Windows PC at work and Things just doesn't work on Windows. For some time I was paying for a cloud-based Mac and running Things on it in a browser window, but I finally realized it's a bit crazy to pay extra per month for that.

Calendar integration isn't imperative IMO, but it's definitely nice.

Mateusz

Registered
Calendar module is my most wanted improvement of Nirvana.
I use the exact date and time only for appointing meetings. Nonetheless, my scheduled and due tasks presented in calendar view would be awesome facilitate.

The simple list doesn't allow me to quickly catch how these dates are assigned across the whole week and month.
I quite frankly believe they will add this feature in the future.

Adam23010

Registered
Doubtful, they haven't added any features in over a year and when they do they are minor. I'm only using Nirvana because there simply isn't a better web-based or cross-platform GTD system that I've found that works with an iPhone other than Nirvana.

Chris Austin

Registered
I think the integration with calendars depends on what calendar you use. If you use Microsoft/Outlook there doesn't seem to be any GTD apps that sync. I use facilethings (outlook integration is supposed to be coming soon) and it integrates with Google Calendar, I can do a work around sync with Outlook and Google that works 95% of the time, but that's not good enough. I just simply use my Outlook calendar for the events where I need to be somewhere or meet with someone at a specific time and day, no tasks or other "actions" go on my calendar. Outside of that, I just manage my lists and projects, I do have a routine action that pops up every morning in facilethings that tells me to review outlook calendar :)

Chris Austin

Registered
I tried FacileThings for about a year. The UX really needs some improvement.
Well it is very rigid, but that is by design and I don't mind that actually. I think their next update should help with some of the rigidity in the clarify section, should eliminate a few clicks to property place tasks/actions. I like nirvana with their drop/drag ability but the lack of file attachments is a non-starter for me.

Adam23010

Registered
For file attachments, I just upload them to dropbox, copy the url, and put it in the notes. I didn't mind the rigidity at first either but it slowly became annoying and I kept asking myself why it's better than something like Nirvana. Nirvana is just much simpler and easier to use.

Chris Austin

Registered
For file attachments, I just upload them to dropbox, copy the url, and put it in the notes. I didn't mind the rigidity at first either but it slowly became annoying and I kept asking myself why it's better than something like Nirvana. Nirvana is just much simpler and easier to use.
It seems that when it comes to GTD apps and how much we like them, it is so dependent on the other tools we use and how they integrate with our GTD app of choice.

Adam23010

Registered
I agree, let the list manager manage lists, and do it well, across multiple platforms. Let calendar tools handle calendars, let file management tools handle files, and integrate with all of those really well.

Mateusz

Registered
Well it is very rigid, but that is by design and I don't mind that actually. I think their next update should help with some of the rigidity in the clarify section, should eliminate a few clicks to property place tasks/actions. I like nirvana with their drop/drag ability but the lack of file attachments is a non-starter for me.
They’re working on it :)

McInerney

Registered
I am an avid user of the Nozbe internal calendar. Like to quickly see all my scheduled actions/appointments in one place.

Currently looking at AmazingMarvin as a replacement since I like to see month & quarter visually as well.

I personally like too see them together; since both todos and appointments are expenditures of time.....

Last edited:

Rostane

Registered
Big fan of Calendar integration, my tasks automatically sync from my system to Google Calendar (both ways !), think it's a must.

John Ismyname

Registered
I am not aware of Outlook have this as built-in functionality. Google use to have their own Outlook to GCal synchronizer but discontinued it. Fieldstone was the best one I found.

Rostane

Registered
I am not aware of Outlook have this as built-in functionality. Google use to have their own Outlook to GCal synchronizer but discontinued it. Fieldstone was the best one I found.
I think GCal has a way to import it, not sure though as I'm not using Outlook but I read that somewhere, in case it helps...

Kevin James

Registered
Recently, I was playing with Plan (getplan.co) and they're doing some interesting stuff with calendar integration. Tried to figure out how one might do GTD using that app and came up with something that "sort of" worked. What i like about it though is that it lets you take your tasks and projects and very easily create time blocks directly in your calendar to address the tasks. Been reading a lot of material on working directly out of your calendar, but I still need my tasks to help me break work down.

Currently, using NirvanaHQ though as my "official" task/project management solution. Rock solid!

Paul.4D

Registered
I had Toodledo for many years on my phone. Looked like a boring Todo list app, kept it but hardly used it. I recently researched most Productivity Apps for gtd integration, as that is my biggest Con regarding Microsoft toDo. I am a single proprietor, so I don't need the excellent Asana or other Team integration features.
After waisting money on Things that is only available on Apple products - No Windows, & requires new payments when new versions are launched, I discovered Toodledo's real power on their Web Integration.
It does everything. Natural language integration in creating a Task (almost as good as ToDoist), very flexible by enabling or disabling features you need or don't want, including habit trackers & the only system that includes Goals & goal-chains (Toodledo) as well. Integrates well with Outlook Exchange, & even Apple Reminders. Integrates with Toggl for excellent time-keeping. They could work on its appearance - a bit dated. For a simple ToDo List, Microsoft ToDo app is now available on all platforms, even MacOs. Their My Day with Suggestions:cool: is an unbeatable feature to end every day with a zero To do list. Google Keep is excellent if you are mostly using Gmail & used to organise yourself via Sticky Notes. Trello takes that further. If you mostly use Google Integration & don't mind an annual fee, ToDoist is tops. If you want a simple straightforward gtd app, try NirvanaHQ. In the end, for what you get with Toodledo (Toodledo help) - the only reason it's not on everyone's radar is probably because of marketing. STAY SAFE & download your brain.