How long did it take you GTD'ers to fully feel like you got your system down

bcmyers2112

Registered
Maybe. But if you have the time available to DO, why not do it right away?

It depends. It's true that the "two-minute rule" isn't offered as a rule but a guideline. So if you have the time and it makes sense, there's no harm in doing right away any actionable items you encounter in your inboxes regardless of how much time they take.

I found a steady diet of that activity to be problematic, though. I used to do the majority of my work as it showed up because I had the discretionary time and lacked confidence in my GTD system. As a result I was being driven by what DA calls "latest and loudest," which is one of the problems GTD is designed to help one avoid. One of the advantages of processing inputs as they come in before choosing what to do is that I can more easily decide what is truly the best action to take in the moment.

mganzel

Registered
Well, it took me 6 hours but I got my e-mail of 1400+ messages down to ZERO! Most went to reference, about 15% deleted. Man, does that feel GREAT! Probably been 10 years since it's been completely empty! And, not ONE thing went to actions list! Isn't that crazy?

I keep staring at my empty e-mail like a kid who just got his braces off and keeps running their tongue over their teeth!

Oogiem

Registered
Well, it took me 6 hours but I got my e-mail of 1400+ messages down to ZERO! Most went to reference, about 15% deleted.
Congratulations! That is a HUGE accomplishment. Email is still my buggaboo, I very rarely manage to actually get it completely cleared before more shows up. You're doing great.

mganzel

Registered
Thank-You! The amount of control I feel has gone up tremendously by just doing that one thing. Now on to the next "IN" basket!