How many projects do you have?

SpaklePrincess

Registered
Oogiem;86222 said:
For me I can't imagine even getting through a week with less than 100 projects being available to be worked on and usually I have closer to 150. For instance when I first posted on this thread on the 12th I had 161 current active projects with one or more next actions defined. As of right now I have 141. The others have been finished already. I've also moved at least another 25 further along and my week is only half over. However, I am rather strict on what a project is. More than 1 action and it is a project.

As to time, I only review the lists for the contexts I am in or can be in. Doesn't take all that long to quickly read the actions.

Thanks much - really helpful. I'm brand new and have 93 active projects. Nice to get some clarification that that's not 'too many'.

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
SpaklePrincess;86247 said:
Wow! The REAL Kelly Forrister! Thanks Kelly - really helpful to have the 'official' word.

Ha ha ha. Yup, iIt's me.

Glad to offer the official word from the mother ship.

bishblaize

Registered
The way I see it, you only have one days worth or work per day, no matter how many projects you're tracking. It isn't a question of more projects=you do more work.

Instead its just another part of the ebb and flow of work - whether its better to focus on finishing a small number of projects quickly vs a larger number of projects less quickly is completely dependant on the job, the time of year, how you feel that week or month, the economy, your staff, etc.

The only 'right way' is that you finish what you need to finish when you need to finish it, most of the time.

heeso

Registered
projects

SpaklePrincess;85988 said:
I'm curious to find out how many projects most people have. How many do you have? What seems to be the norm?

Hey guys heeso here, I have not so many projects but 11 are active. One is near to done and the other 10 are in progress. and its a normal for me .
Thanx

Suelin23

Registered
I have about 50-70 projects. I used to have more when I divided bigger projects into subprojects, but found that unwieldy. I have since decided a project is defined by the natural planning model. If I do planning and find that a significant chunk deserves its own separate plan, it becomes a new project. That way all my files and notes for one project are all together. Of course for big projects there may be several 'open loops' per project, but that's okay, I keep track of them in my project plan and have the next actions in my list manager.

mshparber

Registered
Evernote and Springpad

SpaklePrincess;86011 said:
Yes, I do like David Allen's definition of 'projects'. In that case, what would you recommend?

Try BOTH Evernote and Springpad.
There are some GTD setups you may find on the net

You'll enjoy them both.
Goodluck

Michael

Kourosh

Registered
Number of projects and actions

I'm presently running at 488 projects and 5096 actions.

Though the actions are not necessarily next actions. Some are Someday/Maybe's too. Also, a good number of those projects are On Hold.

To minimize review time, I have their review frequencies set only at what would keep them off of my mind. Some are set to weekly. Others, like some reading lists, are as infrequently as every 3-4 months.

Tom.9

Registered
too much for me...

I had about 50 current projects and about 530 next actions
which felt to much for me

so I decided to have 1 hour of one-to-one coaching
:)
which as one result led me to
about 35 projects and 287 next actions
(the rest became deleted or someday/maybe)

I have a much better feeling now
(even if I think that are still some s/m in disguise around...)

Sievert

Registered
Number of projects

About 31 'projects' (more than one step but can't be completed in less than a month eg train and qualify for an additional role at work, preparing for my vacation) and about as many mini projects (true gtd defined-like getting tools for the garden).

Since you have iphone like me i recommend my setup- appigo 'todo' synched with toodledo pro.