How often are you supposed to go through your Inboxes?

Calion

Registered
I've read GTD twice now, and it doesn't seem to answer this question. The only thing it (or the GTD Installation Setup Guide) says is to do it during your Weekly Review. Processing your incoming items once a week seems like a recipe for disaster, so I assume that that's not what's expected.

Is it just supposed to be obvious common sense that you do it first thing in the morning? Or should you do it more than once a day?

Sorry if this seems like an obvious question, but I like things laid out very clearly, and this is confusing me.

sholden

Registered
During the work week, I process my inboxes (email, notes, physical inbox) three times a day.

Oogiem

Registered
I've read GTD twice now, and it doesn't seem to answer this question. The only thing it (or the GTD Installation Setup Guide) says is to do it during your Weekly Review. Processing your incoming items once a week seems like a recipe for disaster, so I assume that that's not what's expected.

I know the book talks about the need to empty your capture tools regularly. The rules I was given is that it generally takes the average person 1-2 hours a day to process and empty all their inboxes. It sounds like a huge amount of time but you are spending time to save it later.

I usually figure on at least 1.5 hours a day just to handle the incoming inputs even in my world. Sometimes it's more than that.

I've also found that I need to make sure my inboxes are close to empty before I start my weekly review or I get very little true reviewing done.

I tend to do mine in batches during the day, I first try to clear my e-mail inbox, then my paper inbox after i pick up the mail for the day and then all my other electronic inboxes.

TesTeq

Registered
Read GTD2015:

Page 210: The Threefold Model for Evaluating Daily Work
"during the course of the workday, at any point in time, you'll be engaged in one of three types of activities:
- Doing predefined work
- Doing work as it shows up
- Defining your work"

Page 214:
"So how do you decide? (...) How long can you let your in-tray go unprocessed and all your stuff unreviewed and trust that you're making good decisions about what to do?"

Scot

Registered
Clearing inboxes means you are in the processing mode not the doing mode.
For eg.. I clear my email inbox about 3 times a day.
This means clarifying each email in less than 30 seconds per email, I don’t do the email I just decide the action.
All this became clear when I watched the GTD Webinar on “managing emails”

I'm pretty sure that I have heard David Allen saying in an interview or podcast that if he collects something in an inbox, he knows that the inbox will be emptied within 48 hours.The only reference to timescale I have found in writing is in the 14-Day GTD® Challenge Worksheet, which says:
Process [i.e "Clarify" in current GTD terminology]
What to do:
Process what you’ve collected to zero every 24 to 48 hours

Actually achieving that is something I struggle with! Thanks guys for the advice above, I see that will need to devote more time to this than I have been.

Last edited:

ssksogaard

Registered
Not sure of where, but I've read or heard the inbox should be emptied every 24-48 hours.
Even heard David Allen say, if you don't have more than a screen full of emails don't bother emptying it.

But it all comes down to what makes you feel on top of your game!
Some people need to empty the inbox several times a day to feel they are on top, others might only need to do os once a week.
Say you get 20 emails a week, why would you need to empty that inbox, instead use it as an action list.

Find what fits your life, but don't be reluctant to change if you feel something isn't working.

mcogilvie

Registered

Is it just supposed to be obvious common sense that you do it first thing in the morning? Or should you do it more than once a day?

Sorry if this seems like an obvious question, but I like things laid out very clearly, and this is confusing me.

The answer is not spelled out clearly because it varies so much from person to person. If a large part of your job is to handle email, for example for an organization or for another person, then you are doing it a lot. Does a member of a transplant team ignore text messages? No, because they need to respond quickly when a donor organ becomes available.

It’s fair to ask if you are spending too much or too little effort on a given activity, but there is no general rule.

Calion

Registered
Read GTD2015:

Page 210: The Threefold Model for Evaluating Daily Work
"during the course of the workday, at any point in time, you'll be engaged in one of three types of activities:
- Doing predefined work
- Doing work as it shows up
- Defining your work"

Page 214:
"So how do you decide? (...) How long can you let your in-tray go unprocessed and all your stuff unreviewed and trust that you're making good decisions about what to do?"

Wow, that's…really vague. I don't think you can blame me for not catching that.

However, you're right, and that's helpful. Thanks!

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
If you can get your inboxes to zero daily, you'll be far ahead of most people implementing GTD. Not everybody can, typically because it's not a habit yet, or they don't have the time available, or have high volume to process. If you can't get to it daily, then step two of your Weekly Review will just take longer. So that sometimes gives people motivation to create time daily for it so they can spend more of the Review time on the other steps that give them higher leverage and clarity.

TruthWK

Registered
Wow, that's…really vague. I don't think you can blame me for not catching that.

However, you're right, and that's helpful. Thanks!

While I use GTD, this is a criticism I have of his book. It really needs to be laid out in a non paragraph format because of the level of detail and practical implementation of it. It would benefit from more of an outline format and FAQ section, etc that is more detailed than the implementation guide available in the store. It's easy to miss very important details and hard to find things in the book for reference.

TesTeq

Registered
While I use GTD, this is a criticism I have of his book. It really needs to be laid out in a non paragraph format because of the level of detail and practical implementation of it. It would benefit from more of an outline format and FAQ section, etc that is more detailed than the implementation guide available in the store. It's easy to miss very important details and hard to find things in the book for reference.
I think the GTD implementation guides do the job perfectly in a condensed, clear way. In my opinion everybody should read one.

TruthWK

Registered
Let me clarify. The implementation guides are great for when you're starting! My personal experience is that there are so many key points in the books that having some sort of reference in more outline form than paragraph that encompasses all the details of the book would be great for catching some points that can easily be missed.

John Ismyname

Registered
If you can get your inboxes to zero daily, you'll be far ahead of most people implementing GTD. Not everybody can, typically because it's not a habit yet, or they don't have the time available, or have high volume to process.
My work-rule is 1. process to zero all of my inboxes (snail mail, email, dictaphone, 1-31 tickler / ccordian file) 2. based on #1, make any final changes to my work-day plan from the end of the day yesterday. 3, Execute the plan from #2. 4. At some point during the day, read the email that I moved to my "to read" folder when I did #1 - if I don't do this on a daily basis, it becomes a sink-hole. Fast.

Before you say "this is way to idealistic for me", consider that #1 and #2 are really doable. I don't get screwed up until I get to #3. I redeem myself at #4. If the email doesn't get read by the end of the day... it is not going to happen. Just move it into your "Received" email folder en-mass and let it rot there.

I use something like the Pomadoro technique when I work. The cycle is single-tasked work, a break and then I process my email, texts, social media, and voice messages that have arrived in the last hour. My goal is to defer all of this so I can get a few hours of "deep work" in. If I am half way through the day and I got my inboxes emptied and my deep work done, the rest is down hill. I've got two big wins, my mind is like water and GTD guides me in what to do next :)

Last edited:

Calion

Registered
I think the GTD implementation guides do the job perfectly in a condensed, clear way. In my opinion everybody should read one.
What do you mean by "implementation guides"? Do you mean the Installation Setup Guide? Because I bought that before I started implementing GTD specifically to answer this question and one or two others, and it doesn't seem to do so. Here's what it says to do every day:

"Review your calendar, Tickler or Bring Forward file, and Action lists everyday"

Again, the only time "Get 'IN' to Zero" is mentioned is in the Weekly Review.

John Ismyname

Registered
To clarify, you don't HAVE to take your inboxes to zero every day. For example, I tried doing snail-mail once a week (as there is less and less of it). I came to the conclusion that there was no advantage to deferring this. If nothing else, there is a psychological advantage of taking snail mail (and all of one's inboxes) to zero daily. For example, I get a bill in the snail mail today, it goes in my paper file "Bills To Pay", which is part of my @Saturday-Chores list.

""Review your calendar, Tickler or Bring Forward file, and Action lists everyday" This is an essential part of GTD - it is what you are going to CONSIDER doing today. After my inboxes are all at zero, I spread out out my physical tasks to do (today it's paper and a flashlight with a note that says "buy batteries when you are at the hardware store today." , I look at my "to do" list for today (not tehcnically part of GTD) and my calendar for today. (I have a business meeting close by the hardware store..put go to hardware store on my appointment calendar), plan my day and I am off! By noon I'll be hopelessly off my plan but so what? The 'to dos" I have committed to doing (The 'A' list in obsolete time management systems) become calendar appointment events.

TesTeq

Registered
Because I bought that before I started implementing GTD specifically to answer this question and one or two others, and it doesn't seem to do so. Here's what it says to do every day:

"Review your calendar, Tickler or Bring Forward file, and Action lists everyday"

Again, the only time "Get 'IN' to Zero" is mentioned is in the Weekly Review.
There are no strict rules in GTD how often you should do the reviews and inspections of your system. There are only recommendations for an average user. If your life is fast you may have to process your inboxes hourly. If your life is slow you can do it WEEKLY. Just like taking shower. The goal is to have your mind like water - calm but ready.

Jodie E. Francis

GTD Novice
I think it is a matter of preference and depends on your situation. I know working moms who triage their email and household (paper) inboxes daily, and process them to zero once a week, during the (child-free) timeslot carefully created for the purpose of the Weekly Review. I do the same. Although there is certainly psychological benefit from always working from 'zero' - and it is addictive once you taste it! - sometimes the cost (in terms of lost sleep or time away from young children) is too high. Warning - this does lead to a longer weekly review! I find it helpful to process inboxes to zero in one sitting, then do the rest of the WR the following day.

John Ismyname

Registered
I know working moms who triage their email and household (paper) inboxes daily, and process them to zero once a week.
I know this guy who does this too. I try to... I mean this guy tries to go to inboxes zero daily but life happens and we sometimes let it slide. One of everyone's first weekly review tasks should be to take all inboxes to zero.

MellowEnchant

Registered
I give myself 30 mins in the morning to get my ins to zero and organize/optimize my GTD System. This works really well for me atm.

I have also heard that podcast, where David said that he clears his inbox every 24 to 48 hours.