How often do you look at your project list?

Malte

Registered
I'm curious to hear how you use your project list on a day-to-day basis if you look at it between weekly reviews. I've found that I mostly only look at it during my weekly reviews. I know the saying David Allen has for many questions around frequency: You need to look at it as often as it takes to get it off your mind. I guess what is on my mind here is whether I need to look at my project list more often. I've found that going through it during the review, I've allowed some projects to get sidelined longer than I've wished to, had I looked at it more regularly. Or I'm reminded of projects because the items on my next actions list were not obviously tied to that project.

In any case, I'm looking for inspiration and an interested to hear when and in which contexts you look at your project list?

mksilk2

Registered
Definitely weekly and sometimes daily for me. Mine is in a mindmap format linked to my HoF (and in MS ToDo as a list). I print it out weekly to check it in my WR and have on me physically during the week. I find it really helps to keep me focused and ensure I don’t end up with zombie projects.

Wilson Ng

Registered
My task manager of choice, OmniFocus, has a review function that allows me to set a review interval. If it is a project I am currently working on, I'll see set it for every 1-3 days. If there are a lot of changes and I need to monitor the project on a daily basis, I'll set the review cycle for 1 day. For most projects that are on hold or paused, I'll set it to review to once a month. It's out of my sight but I'll be reminded about it at least once a month.

I do try to stagger the review dates so that I don't get overwhelmed and have to review everything in one day.

FocusGuy

Registered
My favorite task manager Omnifocus has 2 views.

One is mu project list the other is the next action list.

I look at them on the go.

My project view is crucial. It helps me focusing on my now engagements. It is my cockpit, my guideline...

I review it as I need and has things evaluate. It can be 3 times / 10 times a day. so I can make a project actionnable or not...

Here is how it works on a daily basis :
- I read my NA / Tag/ context list it stand out one tasks which is my now priority.

(1) If it is a project I focus on it thanks to Omnifocus focus function. I put tasks note, reformulate, eliminate as circumstances update.
(2) if my next action is obvious I put it directly into the project. If it is not, it goes into the inbox (it needs to be clarified) and I will clarify it later...

Last edited:

TesTeq

Registered
All the time. My lists are stacks of index cards. Project on one side, next action on the other. I am always Flipping cards over to see the project.
@cfoley Do you group them by context? What about the situation when you've got two Next Actions in different contexts?

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
I've allowed some projects to get sidelined longer than I've wished to, had I looked at it more regularly.
I think your answer is there in your original post. Something about the rate of flow of your projects hasn't been up to your standard. Reviewing your projects list more often may give you some mental relaxation and mental space. And if you're doing a consistent weekly review, a quick scan of the projects list more often will be, well, quick.

gtdstudente

Registered
I'm curious to hear how you use your project list on a day-to-day basis if you look at it between weekly reviews. I've found that I mostly only look at it during my weekly reviews. I know the saying David Allen has for many questions around frequency: You need to look at it as often as it takes to get it off your mind. I guess what is on my mind here is whether I need to look at my project list more often. I've found that going through it during the review, I've allowed some projects to get sidelined longer than I've wished to, had I looked at it more regularly. Or I'm reminded of projects because the items on my next actions list were not obviously tied to that project.

In any case, I'm looking for inspiration and an interested to hear when and in which contexts you look at your project list?
Malte,

As much as necessary to eliminate any distracting Project 'wondering(s)' and at least once a week during the Weekly Review to also keep all Projects GTD clear and current to best facilitate productive creativity through relaxed control as generously and profoundly expressed by David Allen in Chapter 8 of Part 2: Practicing Stress-Free Productivity through both editions of Getting Things Done

Last edited:

Wilson Ng

Registered
I've found that going through it during the review, I've allowed some projects to get sidelined longer than I've wished to, had I looked at it more regularly.
At the end of each month, I highlight one to two work projects and one personal project to focus on for the next month. Many times, it'll just be a continuation of last month's project. I make a monthly vision statement of what I want done in each project for this month. These are milestone markers to indicate progress being made in the overall plans. I'll try to break the vision down into 4 weeks.What would I like to achieve in the first week? What about the second week? And repeat that to the end of the month.

During the weekly review, I'll look at the week's vision statement. Did I get last week's vision/target completed? If not, then move it over to this coming week. I am trying to be forgiving to myself if I didn't get it done last week. Sometimes Life happens and can throw off the schedule. There's no need to beat myself up about it.

I'll schedule a timeblock at least 30 minutes a day or 60 minutes every other weekday (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) to focus on a project. If the schedule is difficult, I can schedule a timeblock on Tuesdays, Fridays, or Saturdays. But I'd like to get at least 30 minutes on those days. If I miraculously happen to have a whole half-day to myself, I can schedule additional time blocks to work on one of my projects. If I do 30 minutes time blocks on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, that means I spent at least 90 minutes a week to move my closer to the weekly vision. If I reduce my active work projects from two projects to one, that would mean 180 minutes (3 hours) for focused time on my project. If I do three one-hour blocks three days a week, that would mean 9 hours of progress. I trick myself into doing 30 minutes and can find myself continuing past the half hour and going into a full hour or more. The trick is just to at least maintain a minimum of 30 minutes each time block. I'm pretty sure I can block 30 minutes of my day to focus on a work project. That also means saying no to other people's request because I want to protect those 30 minutes as if it were a doctor's appointment or dental appointment. Can't miss those.

I do sideline most of my projects except for the 2-3 projects I want to focus on for this month and week. There are times when I do change it up. I'll pause a current project at the end of the week and resume another project. But that's not often.

Allowing for Life's interruption is also important. If it's summer vacation or Christmas vacation with the family, my projects can be all paused while I enjoy time with my family. I might have nothing for the 2 week vacation. Or it might be personal projects that take the forefront with work projects delegated or paused during my downtime.

Keeping the number of active projects I'm focused on to 2-3 has helped me stay on track and avoid chasing another. squirrel down another path. But Life or emotions can get the better of me and I'll switch over to something else if needed.

I feel good about sidelining projects because I know what I want to focus on.

Last edited:

FocusGuy

Registered
I check my projects list in every weekly review.
Other than that, as often as I need to keep it out of my head!
I totally agree. When a projet or something is spinning again and again in my head it always means that is need either clarification nor that it is something I must do. So I collect it even if I know it is already on the track. It make me realize how important it is for me and why. I also noticed I did not lesson enough to my inner voice, intuition, gut... Often I want to be too rational too pushy too much in many ways. GTD taught me to take altitude. What is great with GTD is that we learn something everyday not only about the method itself but also about us.

bcmyers2112

Registered
I have to confess: I don't look at mine enough. Usually, I only look at them during the weekly review. I think you and I should both feel free to review our projects and/or apply some or all of the natural planning model whenever and wherever that would make us feel better about our projects. It's that simple.

Oogiem

Registered
I'm curious to hear how you use your project list on a day-to-day basis if you look at it between weekly reviews.
I review it at least daily and sometimes several times a day. I'm using Obsidian for all my task management now and I've got 3 dashboard notes for my 3 main views, by context of all tasks, all projects by AOF and all projects. Useful to keep me on track with critical projects while not letting others slide to far.

mksilk2

Registered
I review it at least daily and sometimes several times a day. I'm using Obsidian for all my task management now and I've got 3 dashboard notes for my 3 main views, by context of all tasks, all projects by AOF and all projects. Useful to keep me on track with critical projects while not letting others slide to far.
Does Obsidian have a webview/web access option? I hear so much about Obsidian these days, but I wouldn’t be able to use it on my work PC unless I can access it through the browser.

Oogiem

Registered
Does Obsidian have a webview/web access option?
yes and no. There is no web interface for an Obsidian vault., But you can create a private Git repo oif your entire vault or only pieces of it on either GitLab (my choice) or GitHub and then view everyting there via the web browser. Obsidian also workes well on iOS, iPADOS and Android devices so you can access it on another device that is with you.

Zenminimalismo

Registered
I glance at my project list almost daily. It's like my mental anchor to stay on track. Sometimes I forget the bigger picture when I'm too caught up in daily tasks.

By looking at it more frequently, it helps me connect those "next actions" to their respective projects. It's kinda like a quick reality check for me.