How should I handle Horizon of focus?

assdfd513213

Registered
Hi
First I'm confusing diffrence of Horizon of focus and responsiblities.
Should I check those as resposiblities?

For example if I have 4 responsiblites of my life
1.Doctor
2.Personal
3.Football team manager
4.Father

Then making checklist that I should check frequently and manual that can support action?
like job description?

GTDengineer

Registered
It’s great that you have a list of your responsibilities. Now, to engage with these responsibilities using the GTD process, you should plan projects and actions which help to fulfill your responsibilities.

The horizon model has levels which range from ground level actions to the highest level purpose of your life. Responsibilities are in the middle level among the range of horizons.

In summary, the horizons are mental triggers to help you plan and carry out actions which cover all aspects of life.

Cpu_Modern

Registered
Usually there are also a lot of smallish recurring actions and small projects going on. Where do they come from? The answer is often found in the several Horizons of Focus materials.

For example, you may have the recurring Next Action "mow the lawn" in your @home context. So where does that come from? A Area of Responsibility (Level 2) called "house & garden" or some such.

assdfd513213

Registered
Usually there are also a lot of smallish recurring actions and small projects going on. Where do they come from? The answer is often found in the several Horizons of Focus materials.

For example, you may have the recurring Next Action "mow the lawn" in your @home context. So where does that come from? A Area of Responsibility (Level 2) called "house & garden" or some such.

Thank you for your help!
I'm curious about should I make areas of focus as life essential part? or interest,management things I should focus time to time?
for example
My job is doctor. I have dog,partner,friends

1. Make life essential part as big category then check every month
- Work
- Health
- Self-development
- Relationship

2.Make as small category then change every focus areas at review
-xxx hospital
-Dog
-Partner
-Relationship
-Health

number 1 is right? or number 2 is right?

assdfd513213

Registered
It’s great that you have a list of your responsibilities. Now, to engage with these responsibilities using the GTD process, you should plan projects and actions which help to fulfill your responsibilities.

The horizon model has levels which range from ground level actions to the highest level purpose of your life. Responsibilities are in the middle level among the range of horizons.

In summary, the horizons are mental triggers to help you plan and carry out actions which cover all aspects of life.

Thank you!
I'm curious about should I make focus thing as big category or small category.
Should I make category as focusing part istelf? Then delete or add at review?
-Dog
-Partner
-Health
-xxx industries

or

make as big category?
-Health
-Work
-Relationship
-Family

Maschavdw

Registered
I think these are four roles that you defined, and for each role you have several responsibilities. For 'Personal' you have responsibilities like 'Health & Fitness', 'House & Garden', 'Finances', etc. For your other roles there will also be these specific responsibilities. These are responsibilities that you have to maintain at a certain level or that you may want to improve. They are never done, unless you quit being a Football team manager for example. These specific responsibilities might change over time, for example if your job changes or if your children grow up. That is why you should review them from time to time.

Cpu_Modern

Registered
number 1 is right? or number 2 is right?
The goal is to put your mind at ease. That you jsut know you have all bases covered. That's the goal. What works for you, works for you.

In the GTD book, he writes it as "number 2", if I understand you correctly.

I posted two concrete examples in this thread, maybe they help?

Maybe you can clarify more, what you are trying to get to here?

assdfd513213

Registered
The goal is to put your mind at ease. That you jsut know you have all bases covered. That's the goal. What works for you, works for you.

In the GTD book, he writes it as "number 2", if I understand you correctly.

I posted two concrete examples in this thread, maybe they help?

Maybe you can clarify more, what you are trying to get to here?

Thanks it really helped!

Jared Caron

Nursing leader; GTD enthusiast
Thank you!
I'm curious about should I make focus thing as big category or small category.
Should I make category as focusing part istelf? Then delete or add at review?
-Dog
-Partner
-Health
-xxx industries

or

make as big category?
-Health
-Work
-Relationship
-Family

This is a common question. Its actually both.

There are multiple levels of Areas of focus (Horizon 2) - a top level which best resembles #2, then underneath that most people have areas of responsibility or accountability that fall within. A few examples:

Health
Diet​
Exercise​
Medications​
Doctors​
Family
Spouse​
Children​
Dog​

You can expand this out to get as specific as you'd like or keep it as broad as you like. The point is if something at this level is on your mind, then you can capture it here, and it can be used to review periodically and make sure things in those areas are on "cruise control" so to speak.

As far as formats, Lists work good early on. As you flesh these out more, you may want something more fluid like a mind map. I keep mine in a mind-map in software called TheBrain.