How to add new action that related to Projects?

assdfd513213

Registered
Hi
I'll give you some examples

I have project 'rebuild office workspace'
At non weekly review day I captured 'buy stapler' that related to this project.
When organize it should I move this action to project then make it as next action? or Is it ok to handle only in action list?

Jared Caron

Nursing leader; GTD enthusiast
great that you are continuing to capture constantly, even outside your weekly review!

Actions should always land in next-action lists, even when related to projects. You don't want to keep action reminders buried in project support.

I would typically put something like "buy stapler" either on an @errands list or @computer if I'm buying it online. You don't want to miss an opportunity to move your projects forward just because you didn't look at that project's list of actions.

Whether you want to have some way to see within your system which actions are related to which project, that depends on personal preference and the capabilities of the tool(s) your using.

Personally, I find I don't need to keep detailed plans or outlines of actions for most projects. At weekly review time, just having the project on my list triggers planning and identifying the necessary actions to keep it moving.

What I will keep in project support are lists of future actions: Things I know I need to do for the project but I cant do yet. Keep in mind that you can have multiple next actions for the same project, as long as you can do any/all of them simultaneously. For example, in your office space example, you might need a stapler but also want to replace your office chair. You dont need the stapler before you can test out chairs - so you could also put on an errands list - "test out chairs at office supply store". Those are both next actions for the same project.

Hopefully that helps :)

assdfd513213

Registered
What I will keep in project support are lists of future actions: Things I know I need to do for the project but I cant do yet. Keep in mind that you can have multiple next actions for the same project, as long as you can do any/all of them simultaneously. For example, in your office space example, you might need a stapler but also want to replace your office chair. You dont need the stapler before you can test out chairs - so you could also put on an errands list - "test out chairs at office supply store". Those are both next actions for the same project.

Hopefully that helps :)

Thanks it really helps!
You mean organize inbox things as it was captured?
Whether project related or not just organize single action to Next action and two or more things to action to Project, following David Allen's flow chart right?

GTDengineer

Registered
In agreement with above statements, just add single actions to your next actions list. The reason for projects list is just a reminder to keep adding relevant actions to the actions list.

Jared Caron

Nursing leader; GTD enthusiast
Thanks it really helps!
You mean organize inbox things as it was captured?
Whether project related or not just organize single action to Next action and two or more things to action to Project, following David Allen's flow chart right?

Not exactly...

On the flowchart - if you identify a "project", then you actually have 2 categories of things to track - any actions and the project.

The project goes on your projects list

Any actions you could start right now can go on next action lists.

Any actions which cant be started right away, but that you've already captured, go into project support. When these become relevant/doable you will move them out of project support and onto the next-actions lists.

So it really is a flow of information.

Your next action lists should always serve as the full menu of work you could be doing right now.