How to create the right Contexts?

Borisoff

Registered
Is there any method or recommendation on how to setup the right Contexts? I used to have "standard" contexts like @Agendas, @Call, @Computer, @Errands, @Waiting, @Home, @Office. But sometimes I feel that they're not right and I think maybe I should create something different that would be connected to places I'm at like @Office, @Home, @Car, @Shop. But I could be wrong again. Is there any methods?

Regards,

Eugene.

Brent

Registered
There's no catch-all process for defining contexts, because each person has different contexts. This does require concentrated thought.

I would like to help, though, by approaching this from another angle: How are your current contexts not working?

wordsofwonder

Registered
The contexts that you create will depend on the kinds of work you do and the places you do it. For example, people who work from a home office might decide to combine the @Home and @Office contexts. Or, if you do a lot of travel, you might create an @Airplane context for things you can do while on a flight.

The trick, I think, is not to create too many contexts, so that it's easy to decide where a particular Next Action should go. But within that guideline, I think whatever makes sense for you is probably okay.

Is there something about the "default" set of contexts suggested in the GTD book that isn't working for you? Perhaps if you talked more about what you want to change, we can all make some better suggestions.

-- Tammy

Borisoff

Registered
I'm a sales director. I have a home office with all communications available as well as "standard" office that I use for meetings with my personnel and sometimes customers. I leave outside of the city so I have to drive there for approximatelly 1:30. Sometimes I'm doing shopping at a gas station or in some "by the way" shops.

I "connected" standard contexts to my phisical locations:

@Call to my time at the car. This works but why not doing calls from home (@Home) or office (@Office)? @Computer to my time at my home office but actually I can do it in my office as well. @Errands to my car time. But I usually forget to look in there :) @Waiting - that's has no particular time to look at some missed always till Weekly Review :)

This mesh and overlap made me think if my contexts setup in a right manner. Maybe I should simplify them and create simple phisical contexts like @Car, @Home, @Office, @Shop? At least they would be strictly divided (but stil I can put calls into a few contexts: @Car, @Home, @Office, @Shop and computer staff as well to @Home and @Office). I need some system to make my contexts work! :) Please help!

Regards,

Eugene.

Don't look at @work actions when you are @home!

The purpose of the context concept for me is to prevent me from looking at a specific action reminder while I am not in the place where I could do that specific action (or with the tool or with the right person).

When I am at home I don't want to look at actions that can only be done at work.
My contexts are simple: 'at work', 'at home and elsewhere', and 'shopping'.

Rainer

Borisoff

Registered
@Place context is clear and works. What about @Instrument context? In what case does @Instrument context make sence? In case someone doesn't have some insturment at a specific location, i.e. telephone at home but that's nonsence? Could someone please explain that?

Regards,

E.

TesTeq

Registered
@Call everywhere.

Borisoff said:
@Call to my time at the car. This works but why not doing calls from home (@Home) or office (@Office)?
Why @Call means for you @Car. I think it is not a physical-location-based context. You should use it everywhere when you have some spare time and access to the telephone network. So when you are in the office do NAs from both - your @Office and @Call list.

Borisoff

Registered
TesTeq said:
Why @Call means for you @Car. I think it is not a physical-location-based context. You should use it everywhere when you have some spare time and access to the telephone network. So when you are in the office do NAs from both - your @Office and @Call list.

I always have access to the telephone network as I have a mobile phone :) Even in the toilet :) So:

1. Is there any sence splitting by this instrument then?

2. What is spare time? Time that is not planned in hard landscape?

Regards,

Eugene.

TesTeq

Registered
Reference files should be available.

Borisoff said:
I always have access to the telephone network as I have a mobile phone :) Even in the toilet :)
For some calls you may want to have your reference files available so it may determine the physical context. I hope you do not keep everything in your head? Or in your toilet :) ?
Borisoff said:
2. What is spare time? Time that is not planned in hard landscape?
Not planned in hard landscape. Apply four criteria for choosing actions outside the hard landscape:
(1) Context
(2) Time Available
(3) Energy Available
(4) Priority

Borisoff

Registered
TesTeq said:
For some calls you may want to have your reference files available so it may determine the physical context. I hope you do not keep everything in your head? Or in your toilet :) ?

Some calls require me being at home with Reference files or at toilet where I can think harder :) Do you mean I need @Home and @Toilet context instead of general @Calls?

Eugene.

Brent

Registered
Suggestion:

Pick a set of contexts. Use them for a while. If one doesn't work, change it. Repeat until contexts work.

You may be worrying too much. If you just start, you'll be able to adjust as you go.

Borisoff

Registered
Brent said:
Suggestion:

Pick a set of contexts. Use them for a while. If one doesn't work, change it. Repeat until contexts work.

You may be worrying too much. If you just start, you'll be able to adjust as you go.

Brent, that's why I'm posting here. I used to have some context described above but they didn't work well as I thought. So I'm looking for a method or algorithm on how to pickup the right contexts if any.

Regards,

Eugene.

kewms

Registered
Contexts are, for me, ways of defining the resources needed to do a particular action.

@calls only require a telephone, and my address book with the number of the person. If I expect to make a lot of calls while away from my office, I'll double check to make sure that any relevant notes are with me as well.

@emails only require a computer with an Internet connection, and my address book with the person's email address. These often require notes as well, but I don't worry so much about that because I send almost all emails from my laptop.

@calls and @email help me group similar tasks together for efficiency. I find them helpful even though they overlap with @office.

@read/review only requires the physical object that I'm planning to read or review. These are the items I take with me to read at the dentist's office, on the train, whatever.

@write/edit only requires the notes for the particular project, but also a reasonably quiet place to work.

@read/review and @write/edit both require chunks of uninterrupted time. I can do them almost anywhere, but I can't easily wedge them into a few minutes of downtime, like I can with @calls.

@computer assumes all the software resources on my computer, plus an Internet connection. It does not assume the physical files in my office.

@office assumes all the resources of my office, including my computer, but also scanner, financial files, etc.

@home separates work tasks (@office) from household maintenance (@home). Since I work from a home office, this helps me keep the boundary between the two clear.

@errands, @library, @gym are self-explanatory. These are items that require a particular physical location.

Hope this helps,

Katherine

mramm

Registered
kewms said:
@calls only require a telephone, and my address book with the number of the person. If I expect to make a lot of calls while away from my office, I'll double check to make sure that any relevant notes are with me as well.

I make it so that I don't even need my address book:

@Calls
Dr. Zhivago - 555-8795

that way, I cannot use the excuse that I do not have the number.

Michael

Brent

Registered
Borisoff said:
I used to have some context described above but they didn't work well as I thought.

I'm afraid I have to repeat what I asked at the beginning of the thread, and my apologies in advance if I've missed your answer somewhere: How specifically are your current contexts not working for you?

wordsofwonder

Registered
Borisoff said:
@Call to my time at the car. This works but why not doing calls from home (@Home) or office (@Office)?

The way I look at @Call (actually, I named my list @Call_Write, which is mostly the same thing but includes e-mails) is as a place to put items that can be done when I have access to a phone or e-mail. Calls that MUST be done in my home office (because I have files there, for example) generally go on my @Office list instead.

A general rule I use for Next Actions: Put the next action in the least specific context that still enables it to be completed. If a call must be made from my office, it goes on the @Office list. If it can be made anywhere I have a phone, I put it on @Call_Write. If I have something that doesn't depend on any specific resources -- brainstorming about something, for example -- I have a @Anywhere list to contain it.

Does that help clarify this specific question?

-- Tammy

kewms

Registered
mramm said:
I make it so that I don't even need my address book:

@Calls
Dr. Zhivago - 555-8795

that way, I cannot use the excuse that I do not have the number.

I try to do that, but haven't managed to establish the habit. OTOH, the only time I don't have my PDA/address book with me is when I'm in contexts where I'm extremely unlikely to make business calls. Critical numbers are also in my cell phone.

Katherine

S

slaie

What I thought for that sort of problem is to either create more specific "contexts" like @Calls w/ Phonebook or @Calls at Home

TesTeq

Registered
Cell phone = main address book.

kewms said:
Critical numbers are also in my cell phone.
Smartphones allow you to store thousands of contacts (your whole address book) so there is no need to use separate address book or PDA.

I use my Nokia 6670 as my main address book, calendar, watch, rarely as a web and mail browser (the screen is really small) and as a cell phone of course.

The only missing function is a good list manager for GTD lists but in notes section I have my expenses, books to read, DVDs to watch and CDs to buy (yes, I'm still buying CDs and importing them to my iPod because Apple doesn't like Poland).

Borisoff

Registered
Brent said:
I'm afraid I have to repeat what I asked at the beginning of the thread, and my apologies in advance if I've missed your answer somewhere: How specifically are your current contexts not working for you?

Brent, the biggest problem was duplication. I wasn't sure if I should put a phone call to @Call, @Home, or @Office context. Probably Tammy's advice could work here and I should put a phone call to the least specific context (in my case it's @Call) and check this category at home and at office as well.