How to handle Action that I don't know what will happen.

assdfd513213

Registered
For example I have project "Buy curtain"
Next Action is
-Research in internet
-Buy Curtain
-Set up Curtain

But I'll buy used one when research if it is in Ebay.
I thought I would place an order in consideration of future work, but I may have to make an appointment with a Ebay seller and make a deal in person.
Should I write next action with only specific and definitive action? or just write it down as I'm thinking?

Gardener

Registered
For example I have project "Buy curtain"
Next Action is
-Research in internet
-Buy Curtain
-Set up Curtain

But I'll buy used one when research if it is in Ebay.
I thought I would place an order in consideration of future work, but I may have to make an appointment with a Ebay seller and make a deal in person.
Should I write next action with only specific and definitive action? or just write it down as I'm thinking?
Only specific and definitive actions should be Next Actions. If you want to plan out the whole project, that could be in project support material, but IMO it should not be in your action lists.

I'd guess that "set up curtain" may not be just one action either. You might need to buy a curtain rod, or hooks, or rings. You may need a drill bit. You may need to borrow a drill from Joe next door. These are all things you won't know until you're further along in the project.

Hasan Bjaili

Registered
This is why we have the Weekly Review. Isn't it?

You can pick up the next action when you review this project during the weely review.

Gardener

Registered
This is why we have the Weekly Review. Isn't it?

You can pick up the next action when you review this project during the weely review.
You can wait, but it's better, IMO, to get the new action in there sooner. I see the weekly review's role here as a catch for times when that's missed.

mcogilvie

Registered
Last week I had an intense focus on one big project, and the weekly review Saturday was very much catching up with reality. A few balls were snatched a little closer to the ground than I would like, but nothing hit. I find that a good review after finishing a big project naturally leads to an opening up of possibilities and an increase in creative energy. It is so much better than feeling burned out, which is a pretty common reaction to a sudden reduction in stress.

GTD gives you the luxury of imagining the outcome without having to see the complete path to getting there. The weekly review keeps you moving towards those outcomes. Too much planning ahead introduces cognitive dissonance when reality doesn’t match the plan, even when you are making good progress towards your goal.