How to handle an Anywhere list?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC: Discuss the GTD Methodology' started by KW7, Mar 29, 2018.

1. KW7

KW7 Registered

At the moment, I don't have an Anywhere list and I'm considering starting one. Most things that would go on that list would be tasks I can do on my smartphone or tablet when I'm at kids basketball practice, etc. My hesitation for starting the list is I'm afraid I may put something on that list, specifically for work, that I could also do @Work_Computer and it might not get done or may fall through the cracks if I don't use the @Anywhere list in a given week. Theoretically a task could be on two lists at once to potentially solve the problem of missing something but that seems like a bad idea too.

Anyone have any experience with this issue or other thoughts about how to consider this?

Thanks to all of you for your help these past few weeks. I feel like I'm very close to "making the turn" with GTD and depending on it.

2. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered

So maybe call this list @basketball?
    Some applications (for example Nozbe) allow to add more than one context to any Next Action.

3. kelstarrising

kelstarrising I know some stuff about GTD

I've broken up with and gotten back together with the @Anywhere list more times than I can count. I don't currently have one because I am finding that it's so rare that I would just be anywhere to do something and that @Home or @Computer is usually the actual list where it will get done.

bcmyers2112 likes this.
  4. vaughan76

vaughan76 Registered

hah, i'm still playing around with an @anywhere list as well and have the same reservations. At the moment, I'm pretty much just putting reading I need to do on it because I can take the book anywhere. To get myself in the habit of checking the list, I am flagging everything in the list for now to make sure it doesn't fall through the cracks...

5. mcogilvie

mcogilvie Registered

The danger is that your mind will learn to ignore the anywhere list because everything on it is flagged, and may then proceed to ignoring all flagged items. Also, reading a book isn’t anywhere if you don’t take the book everywhere.

6. vaughan76

vaughan76 Registered

This is exactly my issue with this. What I described is something I’m playing with but, as you describe, it’s imperfect.

I seem to remember you are a professor...? how do you handle the fact that you might have a book at home but might need to take it elsewhere to read?

7. mcogilvie

mcogilvie Registered

A lot of what I read is electronic, and I typically read it on my iPad. I have a context now called Anywhere/iPad. It's not necessarily iPad reading, but my rule is that I want to have at least that tool with me. I have another category Email/Web for stuff that requires a network connection. That's fairly ubiquitous these days, but doing email at the airport on a smart phone is not so good. Either of these activities could be done at my desk, either at home or work, so I have solved to some degree the problem of nested contexts in both Things 3 and Omnifocus 2 (I'm currently using Things).

The paper books I read these days are primarily review copies for book reviews I have agreed to do (the latest is "Quantum Field Theory and Condensed Matter"- can't wait to see how it ends). I bring these home and only look at them there. I'm just too busy at work. I do carry a small amount of paper back and forth, usually of immediate relevance for projects and next actions. I had a back problem several years ago that sensitized me to carrying too much weight around daily. That's when I switched to Circa for my class notes, which has worked well. I know people who always have a physical book in their briefcase which is their current read, but not many these days.

Of course, everybody has more to read now than they can possibly handle. I have some specialized lists of things I want to read in principle, but I should probably prune the lists more vigorously.

vaughan76 likes this.
  8. Gardener

Gardener Registered

I would think of this as a more general problem of time-sensitive tasks potentially being lost due to their context.

Maybe only use Anywhere for tasks that are low urgency? But of course that eliminates the possibility that you'll make extra progress on those more urgent tasks, the ones where you'd especially like to make extra progress. Plus, it adds an "urgency" element to Context, and I don't think that's what Contexts are for.

Or, alternatively, a daily repeater to check Anywhere?

Or a tickler for the truly urgent tasks?

9. bcmyers2112

bcmyers2112 Registered

Wow. This cleared up a big roadblock for me. I was keeping some version of the "anywhere" list for things I could do on my phone or tablet but found it was repelling me. The "why" wasn't clicking with me until I read this. Then I realized something: for me, my phone and tablet generally aren't where I do tasks that require "heavy lifting." For me, they're best deployed as "two-minute action tools." By which I mean taking/receiving calls, firing off quick replies to emails, etc.

Thanks for the insight.

kelstarrising likes this.