How to handle previous brainstoming in weekly review

assdfd513213

Registered
Hi how to handle previous brainstorming at weekly review?
for example
Project: Remodeling house
Purpose : ---
outcome : ----
Brainstorming:
- What's the color of the curtain?
- Where should I buy sofa?

after 1 week
I decide the color and where should I buy.

Should I write over the previous brainstorming? or delete it?

MarcoDuan

Registered
It depends if you want to keep the brainstorm output for future reference to determine next actions or whether you have already processed your brainstorm output into some other format. Only if the brainstorm output document itself still has value I would keep it.

Any document related to the project (brainstorm output, brochures, project schedules, whatever) typically are part of the Project Support Material. During the Weekly Review when reviewing the project, the Project Support Material will help determine what the Next Actions are that should be on the Next Action Lists.

In my case when brainstorming I tend to create a mindmap from which I create a bulleted list organized by topic or sequence. But I keep the mindmap for reference during a review and I do add relevant new data such as decisions made.

mcogilvie

Registered
Brsinstorming is usually a free-form associative exercise. While it is step 3 of the natural planning model, any product of brainstorming, such as a mindmap, may or may not have future value. If you have extracted everything you want to save, such as next actions, you might throw away paper or delete a Mindmap. If what you have is useful as project support, you should keep it. For me, Mindmaps usually turn out to be a tool for getting started. NirvanaHQ has everything you need to distill brainstorming into a more organized view of the project (step 4 of the natural planning model).

By the way, “after 1 week I decide the color and where should I buy.” looks like the kind of artificial deadline David Allen warns about, but maybe you didn’t mean it that way.

assdfd513213

Registered
It depends if you want to keep the brainstorm output for future reference to determine next actions or whether you have already processed your brainstorm output into some other format. Only if the brainstorm output document itself still has value I would keep it.

Any document related to the project (brainstorm output, brochures, project schedules, whatever) typically are part of the Project Support Material. During the Weekly Review when reviewing the project, the Project Support Material will help determine what the Next Actions are that should be on the Next Action Lists.

In my case when brainstorming I tend to create a mindmap from which I create a bulleted list organized by topic or sequence. But I keep the mindmap for reference during a review and I do add relevant new data such as decisions made.
Thanks it helped a lot!

assdfd513213

Registered
Brsinstorming is usually a free-form associative exercise. While it is step 3 of the natural planning model, any product of brainstorming, such as a mindmap, may or may not have future value. If you have extracted everything you want to save, such as next actions, you might throw away paper or delete a Mindmap. If what you have is useful as project support, you should keep it. For me, Mindmaps usually turn out to be a tool for getting started. NirvanaHQ has everything you need to distill brainstorming into a more organized view of the project (step 4 of the natural planning model).

By the way, “after 1 week I decide the color and where should I buy.” looks like the kind of artificial deadline David Allen warns about, but maybe you didn’t mean it that way.
Thank you!

Sorry for word "after 1 week". It just meant weekly review because I review it by 1 week.
Thanks for your concern!