How to link a focus area with different sections of GTD?

Santiago Gomez

Registered
Hello, I recently started to implement the gtd method and I had several questions about how some files fit with the whole gtd system

1. Mainly this comes up with an area of focus which would be sport. Because I have files which are related to that area but I don't know where to put them

Ex:

1. I have goals in focus area and these goals have a date that I want to meet. Will this go to my true tickler or to my calendar?

Why until where I understood in tickler file I will only go actions and seeing that I had to fulfill a goal one day does not trigger any action and in the calendar only things that are too important will go like events and that

2. I have a sports planning process and methods that I will carry out to achieve that goal. Where would it be kept? would it be like a reference file related to the focus area?

3. I have a weekly routine which I have to comply with but it is not related to the goal because when I complete the goal I will have to continue to maintain the routine, it goes more like the focus area and I would think it would be like a weekly reference material that goes into that area of focus and what would I have to review but at the same time that routine serves as a checklist of what I have to do when training, so in which of those 2 places would this weekly routine fit?

Sorry if there are inconsistencies I do not speak English and I used a translator. Thank you

GTDengineer

Registered
Goals can be placed on a list, typically the “Horizon 3” list if you’ve been following the altitude model. You can review this list weekly or quarterly so you don’t forget your goal. But, goals can only be achieved by executing specific actions. Your task within GTD is to think of projects and actions which, when executed successfully over time, will enable you to achieve the goal. You should put these projects (when more than one action is needed) on a projects list. From these projects, you determine the next actions for your actions lists if they have no specific time in which they must be performed, or on your calendar if they have a specific time.

A planning process is part of your reference material.

A weekly routine typically goes on your calendar because it is time bound.

Last edited:

Yasin

Registered
Santiago,

For reference files: keep your system simple. Designate one drawer for all your files. Sort your files alphabetically. Same goes for your digital files. For the files that you refer frequently, you can have action files on your desk. Easier to access.
Absolutely, use your calendar. Create an all-day event and write “run 5 km” or “lose 5 pounds by this date”. If you want to separate these from the rest of the real calendar events, you can use a different colour category. Most digital calendars have that option.

Most of my routine-check lists reside in a folder separate from my action and project lists. But you can use your calendar as well. For example, I‘be recurring “weekly review” calendar event. In the body of the calendar entry, I’ve a checklist of things that I want to review.

One final advice. If you read about the GTD in a secondary source, great. But read the book, too. It ties everything together.

Good luck.