How to manage delegation efficiently

Discussion in 'PUBLIC: Discuss Tools & Software for GTD' started by Mateusz, May 3, 2019.

1. Mateusz

Mateusz Registered

I am a COO in a middle size company. My everyday job is to deal with other people including delegation a lot of tasks.

And here is the case:
    Let's say it's Sunday evening. I am doing my GTD weekly review, so I am checking my inbox.
    I check the next item, think about it and figure out that I should delegate it to someone else. So basically I should delegate it and put it on my "waiting for" list.
    Sounds easy but it's not. I can't delegate a task without previous information to that person. Sometimes a little explanation to that person is also needed. What I do is I always put that task on my "Next actions" list with context dedicated to that person (agenda). I do "physical" delegation and then I put the task on my "waiting for" list. Eventually, when I decide to delegate something to someone else I have to plan a two steps process. Of course, I do these steps in my GTD software. I did this in Nozbe and now I do the same in Nirvana.

How do you manage these things? Is there a more efficient way?
    I thought about something like this: I can put a task that I want to delegate on my "waiting for" list instantly but with an additional tag like @agenda which means I want to talk to that person too. And remove the tag after the talk. Nonetheless, in this solution, I am afraid that I can't truly trust my "waiting for" list if I put there items that aren't delegated ultimately.

2. Popp2018

Popp2018 Registered

Assuming that delegating the item will take more than one step, then I’d have thought you could create a project ie ‘Delegate X to Y’, and then identify the relevant next actions. Eg ‘collate background info on X’, ‘Call Y and see if they have capacity’, ‘Send background info to Y’, ‘Email Y to confirm handover and agree dates for deliverables’.

Then it would go on your Waiting For list.

3. RS356

RS356 Practicing GTD since 2005

Government/Strategic Planning
    I track items delegated to my direct reports on agenda lists, with regular 1-on-1 meetings. My waiting for list is for items delegated to those with whom I work less frequently.

4. Geeko

Geeko GTD since 2017

technical writer, martial arts teacher
    I would handle my items to delegate just the way you do: Put the item on my agenda list and after I really delegated it (which means that I have no further actions on that item except waiting and maybe nudging the person I delegated it to) it goes on my waiting for list. That way I make sure that I do not wait for something that still needs any action from my side.

Cheers,
    Tristan

5. Rostane

Rostane Registered

What about having a 'buffer' of tasks to delegate and let anyone who can do it to take care of it. Of course, it depends on your organization and tools you use but it's really the spirit of 'first there will take care of it.'
    What do you think ?

6. Mateusz

Mateusz Registered

It would be nice but unfortunately it’s not possible.
    For now I keep two steps approach.

Rostane likes this.