How to reduce distractions and stress

When I was in a different time zone (9h difference or so), it was amazing because there was almost no overlap with my team and clients. I'd spend maybe an hour a day going over my emails, replying to everyone, then I'd have the rest of the day to myself. And then they'd reply back while I was asleep. It was pure bliss. I'd like to get back to something like that...
So just start implementing it. Pick your hour or so to work on emails and do just that and nothing else. Only process email once a day.

Pick your focused time to concentrate on the billable hours for a particular project or client and stick with it for at least 15 minutes and track it appropriately.

Consolidate your messaging platforms and inform all your clients staff etc that you will only receive messages on X and perhaps Y from now on. And then be harsh and delete all other apps and all messages. With respect to chat especially I'd say either stop it completely, or set only specific times that are your "office hours" for chat messages. Chat is far too disruptive. If your staff can't handle an issue and are bugging you about it then you need to set up time to increase training for them so they can handle issues. Unless you are a doctor, vet, fire fighter or similar it is highly unlikely that any delay of a few hours or even a few days is going to result in anyone dying.

Grouping like tasks woudl be my first step. I'll try to come back and revisit this, your initial messages has a lot of detail and I only grabbed a few things to comment on.

Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it!
I could really relate to that sentence from Derek Silvers: "I felt like I might as well just show up to work and sit on a chair in the hallway, just answering employees’ questions, full-time."
That's pretty much my job today.

Let me explain our business model in a bit more detail:
- We offer IT consulting services in high-cost markets, where English is not the local language
- In these markets, supply of top talent is very limited
- Our concept is to hire globally (to avoid supply issues, get better value for money), but still have everyone who interacts with the clients be local, so they can communicate in their local language
- Also, everyone interacting with the clients should be really, really, really good at what they're doing
- The client-facing people can then each manage a larger, global team behind the scenes, communicating in English
- Right now, I am the only one in such a client-facing position, but I am planning to hire

So, yes, the client-facing staff will always be a kind of bottleneck, but that's by design.
I don't want other team members communicating with the clients directly (with very few exceptions) because it would put us in a very different segment, the quality would lower etc.
As of today, we can delivery a quality most other companies cannot match, or at only 2-3x our prices.

Yes, I absolutely have to hire other people and delegate, but I want to do that once I have reached my capacity.
Right now, I still don't think it's the workload that's the problem. I thought it was, but when I started actually tracking my time, I realized that, on average, I only work 4-5 hours a day.
But the days are still super stressful because they are so unpredicatable and there are so many interruptions.

For example, unread emails stress me out. I get email notifications about code changes that my team have made. It's important that I check them, but it's not time critical. And I often get 3-4 emails about the same change (not sure how to reduce this number). Once I get to it, it takes me perhaps 30 seconds to have a look and decide that it's fine. So the work itself isn't a problem, but when I'm in the middle of something else and I get 3-4 emails about this change, or I see that I have 27 unread emails (when there were 0 in the morning), it stresses me out.

There is almost never anything really critically urgent where people can't work. They need answers from me, yes, but they would usually be able to just work on something else in the meantime.

Meetings aren't an issue either. I personally hate meetings with a vengeance, but we are currently working on a huge software project, where lots of questions come up all the time. Like: "What does this price field mean? How does the client use it? Why can the value sometimes be negative?"
In the beginning, I tried to do this all over email, but it took me AGES. I could spend a whole day just writing a single email to the client, because I'd have to include screenshots and write everything in proper sentences.
I then realized that it was better to just have 2 meetings with my team per week (Monday, Wednesday) and 2 meetings with the client (Tuesday, Thursday), and just collect all questions in the meetings with my team and ask the client directly. This way, I only had to write down the answers (as notes), so I could forward them to the team. That cut down the time spent on this process drastically.

All our clients are super nice. I don't even think they expect immediate replies (though they have of course gotten used to this).
I'm sure they would be happy to work with whatever new process we implement.

Anyway, long story short: I don't think this is a delegation issue per se because the way our business is set up, only a limited number of people should ever be speaking to clients, and these people should also review the work of the rest of the team. That is a natural bottleneck, but if one such person can manage a team of 10 others, then it will still scale.
Also, in the future, I may start hiring more local roles (for example, graphics designers), who will then also be able to talk to the clients directly.

But I don't think we're at that point yet, I feel that my productivity is simply much lower than it could be.
So I don't see hiring someone to help me as a good option yet. Hiring someone with my skillset would be extremely expensive (think $200k+ per year), so I'd want them to be productive and not waste half of their days, like I am doing right now.
So I feel I should first implement a system/process that works well (for example, move clients to a ticketing system instead of chat messages? Maybe have two quick 30-minute meetings every day where people can ask questions, instead of 20 chat messages spread across the day? Or maybe just mute notifications and only check them 2-3 times per day?) - and only then, when I feel I've increased my productivity, I'd like to hire someone to take over some of my work.
That way, there will already be a system that will work well.
If I just hire someone now to take over my work, I'm worried that they would just get just as stressed out as me and then quit. The context switching is extremely exhausting. If it was just one project, it would be fine, but when you have to juggle 3-4 different projects all the time, it gets exhausting for your mind really fast.

I don't know if that makes sense?
Apart from everything that cfoley says, I think you need to revisit the idea of an assistant. A PA or Exec Assistant or Chief of Staff or Head Wrangler or whatever, is NOT another you. They are your buffer, filter, personal organiser, lunch fetcher, diary keeper... They are not a technical expert. They could:
  • manage your email - stuff you need to see gets routed to you on a suitable timescale, other items get re-routed, calendared or trashed.
  • manage your IMs - as above
  • gatekeep your calendar
  • hold meetings for you - teams just need to pull their questions together? Your PA can manage that and deliver you a suitable summary.
  • administrative or non-technical tasks
  • Research improvements - you probably do need a ticketing system. Chat messages are horribly inefficient, easy to lose track of and hard to scale with your business. Your PA could have the task of researching software options and arranging demos.
  • operate your GTD system
A good PA could even pull together the drafts of your client communications. If your clients are all using the same language, or you have a key language, get a PA who is fluent in it. Then simpler questions, handholding etc. they could pick up.
Also a PA should be cheaper than another you!

I have long tried to implement something like GTD, but I am always so stressed out and busy with my daily workload and I never find the time to actually implement it.
I read the book a long time ago and I've recently also started listening to the audiobook. So I feel I understand the basic principles.
But where I struggle is actually implementing the system. I find the book way too abstract. I understand that it's a methodology, but what I'm looking for is something more hands on, like: "Ok, here's you do it with this tool. Get started with this and once you've got the hang of it, you can try adapting it to your own needs."

The biggest issue for me is that I am a business owner under a massive workload.
Or, actually the workload probably isn't even the issue, but it's the distractions.
Emails, chat messages from at least 4-5 different messaging platforms, phone calls, people talking to me in person. I feel I never get anything done and that I'm always behind. I get stressed out by unread emails (I also always mark them as unread again, which of course only makes things worse).
The distractions absolutely kill my productivity, I can almost never really concentrate on a task, except late at night. So I also always put off tasks that require concentration and rather work on tasks that I can solve quickly, even if they are less important or urgent, just to feel a sense of accomplishment.

I'm not sure if GTD can help with this. I guess the answer is probably yes, but I've still not been able to implement it.
I've been thinking about just buying one of the Udemy courses and getting to it, but I'm not sure if that's really the answer.

I feel I need a general approach to how I can handle distractions.
When one of my employees asks me a question over chat, I always feel the need to reply right away because I'm worried they'll otherwise be stuck with their work, we won't be able to make the client happy etc.
The same with clients, who also often communicate over chat - I get the notification and then immediately have to assess if it's something important and how to react. I actually usually try to just respond right away just to get it out of the way, so it doesn't become yet another thing I have to keep track of and try not to forget.

With email, it's especially difficult because they're rarely something I just need to reply to.
I would usually have to talk to different people (arrange a meeting, discuss, maybe send an email etc.) before I can reply to the emails. So those emails would usually actually become projects in themselves, so I wouldn't even know where to start with them. Do I just add a project "Reply to email from Bob from June 7" and then create next actions like "Ask Alice when we can have the report for Bob ready?" - or actually, something more realistic might be: "Call for a meeting with the team to discuss the report for Bob" - answering Bob's question when the report will be ready might take several meetings. And there may be more questions in that email than just "Hey, when will the report be ready?"

I'm feeling so stressed out and overwhelmed that I just don't know where to start.
The general advice seems to be "Just read the book and implement the system the way that fits your needs", but that is way too vague for me.
At my current stress levels I need SIMPLE solutions just to get started, I don't have the mental capacity to figure out some creative approach.

Maybe someone can resonate with this and has found a way out.
Would also be happy to pay for a course or so, if it really helps. I just really have to fix this.
I'm under constant stress and always scared I'll forget something, I find myself procrastinating and just feel I get very little done, despite working pretty much 24/7 - simply because all the distractions keep me from ever reaching a state of "deep work". I'm just constantly switching between 5-minute tasks, never doing anything properly, and then actually not even billing clients for my time because I find it impossible to keep track of the little "3 minutes here", "4 minutes there" stuff...

Just where can I get started to get out of this mess? I can't be the first person struggling with this.
I want to hire someone to reduce my workload, but before that, I feel that I have to get more organized myself, so I have a system in place, and don't just dump the whole mess on someone else.

And I actually don't even think the workload is the problem, it's the distractions that create the stress... When I was in a different time zone (9h difference or so), it was amazing because there was almost no overlap with my team and clients. I'd spend maybe an hour a day going over my emails, replying to everyone, then I'd have the rest of the day to myself. And then they'd reply back while I was asleep. It was pure bliss. I'd like to get back to something like that...
@Chocolate Factory,

Regarding "I feel I need a general approach to how I can handle distractions."

On a fresh piece of dated paper everyday write down at the top what you are Committed to Completing . . . working on

When any "Distractions/Interruptions" your Attention write it down the "item" whether it be your own thought(s) or another's input

Two Columns for "Distractions/Interruptions": Left Column "Me" . . . Right Column "Others" or perhaps two different colored pens: Black-Ink for "Distractions/Interruptions" Me and Blue-Ink for "Distractions/Interruptions" Others

When working "on the current commitment for completion":

Capture the "Distractions/Interruptions" as they enter your world

Employ the Two-Minute Rule for doing the "Distractions/Interruptions" on the fly:

Bathroom / write next to "Bathroom": " . . . [where left-off on "on the current commitment for completion"]" in order to return to current commitment for completion after your Bathroom "Distractions/Interruptions" is complete

Review Capture list for: Someday/Maybe, Project, Contextualizing asap or perhaps at the end of the day

Hopefully not sounding too bossy

Hopefully general enough

Hope that helps

Ps. Starting all current commitments for completion along with the "Me" . . . "Them" distinction as expressed above might also add some further GTD insights to your GTD-ness ?

As you see GTD fit. . . .

Last edited:
It's a common problem nowadays, especially with digital technologies and devices adding to other forms of interruptions.

I found one really helpful book on this named "Indistractable." I like how the author Nir Eyal defines DisTractions as things that take us away from Traction, our flow. He suggests keeping a DisTractions log to note how and when we stray off course.

Many of the chapters are short explaining causes and then solutions. I've found certain ones useful like Time Blocking and Time Boxing, especially to give uninterrupted chunks to GTD steps like Clarify.

It's interesting too how Eyal says this book is in contrast to his previous book "Hooked" which is about conceiving and building irresistible products. He explains he got the idea for "Indistractable" when he was out with his daughter and wasn't giving her his full attention because he was repeatedly distracted by things he helped design.

I found it helpful too in the sense that being aware of DisTractions and causes leads to a truer Mind Like Water form of feeling and doing, GTD-wise.

It's a common problem nowadays, especially with digital technologies and devices adding to other forms of interruptions.

I found one really helpful book on this named "Indistractable." I like how the author Nir Eyal defines DisTractions as things that take us away from Traction, our flow. He suggests keeping a DisTractions log to note how and when we stray off course.

Many of the chapters are short explaining causes and then solutions. I've found certain ones useful like Time Blocking and Time Boxing, especially to give uninterrupted chunks to GTD steps like Clarify.

It's interesting too how Eyal says this book is in contrast to his previous book "Hooked" which is about conceiving and building irresistible products. He explains he got the idea for "Indistractable" when he was out with his daughter and wasn't giving her his full attention because he was repeatedly distracted by things he helped design.

I found it helpful too in the sense that being aware of DisTractions and causes leads to a truer Mind Like Water form of feeling and doing, GTD-wise.
@QuestorTheElf,

Agreed . . . write down/Capture the Distraction and [to] stay Focused . . . GTD b a m !

I feel your pain. I’m in a job where I’m overseeing 50-80 projects by my team and I, and can easily get 40-50 emails a day.
I am now triaging them - must process today gets a red flag.
A project based approach is not GTD but is helpful. I have a project plan for every project, and in that I list all the key people I am engaging with. When I review the project I also review emails from the people on that list, and process the project emails together. If I’m already working on a project it is less stressful to process the related emails, than to do them individually

Sorry, for the late reply! I read all your replies, but didn't get around to replying because I was so overloaded with work...

"Indistractable" sounds like a great book! I'll order it.

I feel like I'll have to start blocking out my calendar or at least keep IM/email apps closed and only check them at specific times during the day and tell clients they can call me if there's an emergency.

I've also bought a GTD quick course from Udemy, but I still don't really feel that it gives me everything I need.
Let me give an example of typical things that happen during a day:

Email from team member 2:

We need answers to the following questions regarding client A:

1. Has the client figured out how they want X solved? We mentioned we could either do A or B, and if we do A, then we'd need additional time, would they be OK if the cost increase? B would fit into the original estimate, but it wouldn't be as good a solution, would they prefer that? Would it be an acceptable solution to them?
--> The client answered me last week, but I had a followup question, so the answer isn't ready yet. I might have to follow up with the client, either over email or in our next meeting two days later.

2. We noticed that there's situation Y which we weren't aware of earlier - can we just solve it by doing C? Or would you rather discuss this with the client first?
--> I don't really understand what she means and would need information from her first, because I can make a decision on how to proceed.

3. You said last week that the answer to my question Z was D. But that would mean there would be a lot of columns on that page, not everything would fit on the page. Is this really what they want? The information seems a bit redundant.
--> I have to have a look at the design to decide how much of an issue this is and then either make a decision myself or follow up with the client - either over email (time-consuming, I would have to include screenshots to explain the problem), or in our next meeting, where I would be able to share my screen.

4. What is the status regarding M? The other company promised us an update on this, have you heard back from them yet
--> I still haven't heard back, I have to follow up with the other company over email.

5. We saw that there is case N, we suggest just doing it so and so, is that OK?
--> I can just approve this.

[possiby a dozen more questions like this]

So this would basically be a project consisting of several sub-projects. Would you just add the questions to the GTD system? I would imagine that even just adding them would be quite time-consuming. Would you just forward the email to some GTD app and then convert it into next actions and projects during the review? I'm a bit worried about the overhead.

Then right afterwards, there might be a chat message from client B:

Hey, is the new version of the software ready yet? Can we install it tonight?
--> I have to check the status with my team and get to him.

My development team gives me a daily status regarding client B over chat:

Team member 1: Yesterday, I was working on X, but something I haven't quite figured it out yet, so I'll continue digging into it today.
--> This shouldn't take so long, I have to figure out why he is stuck or maybe ask him to start working on something more important.

Team member 2: Yesterday, I fixed Y. Today, I will start working on Z.
--> The client just asked if we can roll out the new version, I have to tell him it's more important to get the fix for Y ready for rollout, before we start working on new stuff.

Team member 3: I'm waiting for X to become ready for testing.
--> This is fine, nothing to do here for me.

Then there are 10 email notifications about changes by other team members:

Team member 5 just made a change, click here to review it.
Team member 7 just made a change, click here to review it.
Team member 5 just made a change, click here to review it.
Team member 8 just made a change, click here to review it.
--> None of these are urgent, but I have to review them at some point to make sure there are no major issues. It usually takes just a few seconds to review one such email, but there can be a lot of them (up to 50 per day) and having unread email stresses me out.

Chat message from client A:

Hey, are the network connection issues resolved for everyone now?
--> I have to follow up with my team over Teams or email to see if they have had a chance to test this.

Chat message from team member 2:

Hey, do you have a translation for us for these texts:
"A weekend cannot be chosen for this value."
"Please enter a number between 1 and 100."
"This value exceeds the allocated budget for this project."
--> Quite simple to answer if I feel comfortable doing the translation myself, but I might want to delegate this to our translator just to be on the safe side.

Chat message from team member 3:

Can we move our meeting tomorrow by half an hour?
--> I have to check my calendar and decide.

Then there's an email notification:

Team member 9 just commented on item 1234 in the project management software:

According to my analysis, the problem was caused by this piece of code.
It seems like there might have been a lot of orders that were not processed correctly, so the payments didn't go through.
This is really tricky to fix, we could easily spend 5 days fixing this, should I start digging more into this?
--> I have to sit down and examine his analysis to see if it makes sense or if he might have missed something.
Then I have to ask him to quantify the extent of this problem, so I can decide if this is something that needs to be escalated to the client, or if it's actually just a minor issue. It would probably take me only 10-20 minutes to solve this, but I have to really sit down and concentrate, so I understand what this is. I haven't worked on this issue for a week, so I might have to re-read the whole ticket.
This is related to payments from customers, so it's critical that we don't make a mistake here.

Chat message from my girlfriend:

I'm having a computer problem, do you have time to help me real quick?
--> It would be OK to say no, but I know she is stuck with her work and it would help her a lot if I could have a look and it usually wouldn't take long.

Then my father calls:

I'm having a computer problem, can you please help me with it? It won't take long!
--> Usually not urgent, but my father is really impatient and it can evolve into a lot of drama if I don't help him right away.

Text message from my uncle:

I'd like to travel to Thailand in a month, do you have some recommendations where I should go?
--> Absolutely not urgent, but easy and fun, stuff like this tends to distract me the most for the immediate dopamine kick...

Another email from a different project management system from client B:
The client has just created a new ticket: "Customer data cannot be updated"
--> I have to review this to see if it is urgent

Chat message from client B:

Hey, I don't know if you saw it, I just created a new ticket, sometimes customer data can't be updated!
--> Redundant information, I have to tell him I'll review the ticket (or just ignore, it's not really necessary to reply)

Then it's time for a call with client A where I have to go through a list of questions that my team asked me to get answers to earlier.
I will then have to send the answers back to the team over email - this could easily be 20-40 questions, so converting my notes into an email might take another half hour or so.
For some of the questions, the client won't have an answer right away, they would have to talk to colleagues, before they can get back to me.

In the meantime, I have also received a bunch of unimportant personal emails:

- SPECIAL OFFER! Buy X today with a 40% discount!
--> Ignore, maybe unsubscribe
- SPECIAL OFFER! Until the end of the month, Y is 50% off!
--> I have been considering buying this for a long time, I have to decide if I should pull the trigger now.
- Forum reply notification: New reply to your post on the GTD forum
--> Not urgent, but I'd really like to read the reply
- Your credit card statement is ready
--> I have to download the statement and make the payment.

And then it's time for a meeting with my team where they will update me on some progress, which might result in new questions.

The workload itself is still manageable (so I'm not sure hiring someone really is the answer at this point), but what is so extremely exhausting is that there can be several hours of quiet and then suddenly, all hells breaks loose and stuff comes in on all channels at the same time.

Blocking out distractions would definitely help, but I'm still not really sure how to put all of this into a GTD system, especially when there are emails with questions which could be converted into many projects...

How would you do it?

Some sage advice, right from David Allen's own Ted talk: Distractions are a part of life; you can either have 1,000 emails/etc. or 20 kids (i.e. Bach), take your pick.

I am not sure what your question is anymore, perhaps you could briefly explicitly state what exactly you need help or advice on? I will be brutally honest but your workload sounds pretty standard and straightforward for a senior IC. A mix of coordination, helping others, and reviewing other people's work in addition to doing your own. I am just not sure what the issue is here.

Maybe it's about saying "No" to more stuff or compartmentalizing work and personal time / budgeting time better?

Again, just not really clear on what you are asking.

I guess the question is: Even if I can reduce the distractions, how would I manage this type of work with a GTD system?
Would I create a dozen projects for each of these emails with many questions?

Would every chat message that would require two or more steps become a project? I’m a bit worried I’d just create a lot more work for myself with little benefit.

And also yes, I don’t think the workload is the issue, it’s the fact that this role is new for me (used to be a developer, now running my own company), and I’ve never learned how to handle this way of working properly.

Oh my goodness. I can only imagine how long team member 2 spent writing 29 questions in an email, how long you will spend researching and replying and how long employee 2 will spend reading and possibly asking for clarifications. To add to the confusion, the context behind each question (i.e. the original request and your email history on that specific topic) is difficult to locate, adding to the research time for everyone involved.

One improvement would be to enforce a one-topic-per-email policy, and an always-reply-to-the-right-email policy. It's your team and you can either set the standards or agree them together. A better solution would be to use an issue tracking system and enforce a policy whereby all internal discussion of features happens in that feature's comment section. Choose a convention to highlight important decisions so they stand out from the rest of the chat.

Next, remember to touch each email only once. When you say you will either have to talk to a client next week or email them, make the decision at that point. If you're going to email then write that as your next action. If you're going to talk to them, then put it on the agenda list for that client. Similarly for when you need clarification from a team member: choose how you want to get that clarification. Do it right away if less than 2 minutes or write the action or agenda item down.

For the item you have to follow up on, that sounds like a quick email to a client and a quick courtesy email to your team member. They sound less than 2 minutes in total, so I would do them right away.

For me, each of the questions in the 29-question email would correspond roughly to 29 projects. However, most of them do not seem to be new. They are regarding existing projects that the team has. You were previously waiting for others to do the next step, but this email represents the ball passing to you.

A few things surprise me.

Are you really the only person who can make the call on the number of columns? Can you get the developer who raised it to send you a complete question complete with screenshots? Then, if you are the communications person, tidy up the language and use the screenshots when asking the client.

Can't you look at an issue tracker, CD pipelines and latest release number to see if your software is deployable?

Can't you look at your support ticket system to see if the network issues have been resolved? Can't your client look at the same?

Are you the only person who can do code reviews? In any case, just delete those emails. If you get 50 per day, you know there are always reviews for you to check. Just use the code review system as your to do list.

One improvement would be to enforce a one-topic-per-email policy, and an always-reply-to-the-right-email policy.
@cfoley Or enforce no internal emails within the organization and use teamwork management software like Asana or Nozbe. Knowledge about each Project is in one place so there's no need for endless email threads.

Oh my goodness. I can only imagine how long team member 2 spent writing 29 questions in an email, how long you will spend researching and replying and how long employee 2 will spend reading and possibly asking for clarifications. To add to the confusion, the context behind each question (i.e. the original request and your email history on that specific topic) is difficult to locate, adding to the research time for everyone involved.

Indeed. We have already cut the time spent a lot by moving most communication into meetings (one meeting with my team and one between me and the client), so I only have to turn the answers into an email back to my team, which saves a LOT of time. This is actually working quite well and the number of such emails has been reduced drastically.

One improvement would be to enforce a one-topic-per-email policy, and an always-reply-to-the-right-email policy. It's your team and you can either set the standards or agree them together.

That would lead to a lot more emails, which I think would just make this more difficult to manage. It's working reasonably well right now with the meeting-based approach. I get 30 questions from my team in a meeting, I take notes, I have a meeting with the client and take notes, I can convert it into an email. Then my team only has to reply to the questions that are still unclear, or we take them up in our next meeting. It's working quite well.

But I still don't see how I would manage this in a GTD system, considering that each question might become a GTD project.

Next, remember to touch each email only once. When you say you will either have to talk to a client next week or email them, make the decision at that point. If you're going to email then write that as your next action. If you're going to talk to them, then put it on the agenda list for that client. Similarly for when you need clarification from a team member: choose how you want to get that clarification. Do it right away if less than 2 minutes or write the action or agenda item down.

I understand that's the GTD approach, but this could result in a lot of actions/projects (possibly one project/action per question). Managing them in this way would take a lot of time.

For the item you have to follow up on, that sounds like a quick email to a client and a quick courtesy email to your team member. They sound less than 2 minutes in total, so I would do them right away.

Emails to the clients can actually take a lot of time, as I would have to take screenshots and explain in detail what the question is. It's usually quicker to do this in a meeting, so at the moment, I just copy and paste the questions into a Word document and use it as an agenda for the next client meeting.
But I still have to read through the questions, so I can make sure I understand what the question is about. Sometimes I have to ask for clarification from my team first to understand what it is they are asking about.

For me, each of the questions in the 29-question email would correspond roughly to 29 projects. However, most of them do not seem to be new. They are regarding existing projects that the team has. You were previously waiting for others to do the next step, but this email represents the ball passing to you.

In a way, yes. And they are related to items in our project management software, but they would be more difficult to find there. Then again, I would risk duplicating the project management system in my own GTD system?

Are you really the only person who can make the call on the number of columns? Can you get the developer who raised it to send you a complete question complete with screenshots? Then, if you are the communications person, tidy up the language and use the screenshots when asking the client.

Yes, I'm the only person who can make the call, except for the client. I could get them to send me screenshots with their questions, but then this would cause them to spend more time on this. It's usually reasonably quick for me to just show the relevant designs to the client during a meeting.
So I'm actually kind of OK with the workflow now, it's more the distraction/keeping emails on unread/not knowing how to manage this system better that is causing stress for me.

Can't you look at an issue tracker, CD pipelines and latest release number to see if your software is deployable?

Ideally, yes, but I'm so bad at managing this that I'm not always sure if everything is really giving me the full picture.
It's usually just quicker/safer to ask the team than to blindly trust the tools.

Can't you look at your support ticket system to see if the network issues have been resolved? Can't your client look at the same?

The client doesn't use a support ticket system for this. I just email/message their admin.
Granted, there aren't usually such issues, so this is something that could probably be managed well inside a GTD system.

Are you the only person who can do code reviews? In any case, just delete those emails. If you get 50 per day, you know there are always reviews for you to check. Just use the code review system as your to do list.

That's actually a good idea, thanks.

Or enforce no internal emails within the organization and use teamwork management software like Asana or Nozbe. Knowledge about each Project is in one place so there's no need for endless email threads.

That's a good idea as well. We of course use project management software (JIRA, Azure DevOps), but not related to questions.
So the idea would be to just have all the questions as tickets/cards there and they would be able to assign them to me when needed?
I like that idea.
But then how would I know what to follow up on?
For example, they may assign me a ticket with a question and I send an email to the client and wait for a reply. After a week, I should follow up on this if I haven't heard back before. Would you then set that up as a reminder in the project management software? Or put it into your GTD system?

I really appreciate your input, this is gold!

The reason I suggest transferring things away from your email and onto different lists is that those lists also tell you the status of the item. If the thing resides on an action list, you have to do something. If it is on an Agenda list, you will be reminded to ask them when you talk to them next. If it is on a waiting for list, then you know that you don't have anything to do right now other than maybe chase it up if it has been too long.

If instead you leave everything in the email, what will happen is that you have to scan the email frequently, try to remember the status of everything, decide again in the moment if there is an action and what it might be.

Some problems that this creates are

* having to reread the same email many times.
* making the same choices multiple times, increasing decision fatigue.
* needing to keep this email (and others like it) in view until all 29 items are complete.
* not having a clear list of things you can do right now, meaning you have to sift through your email to find them.
* not having an agenda list, meaning you might forget to talk about some things with people.

I much prefer to make the decision once, write it down so I see it when I need to, trust my decision and review periodically.

The project list is just a list of reminders of the outcomes you want. It's not a heavyweight thing. Just a list of reminders. It means that when you cross off an action you just completed, if you forget to write the next one down you still have a reminder. Most GTD practitioners experiment with the scope of these outcomes. Again if you don't do this consistently, you will have to keep going back to those long emails until all 29 are done.

The reason I suggest using some sort of team software like issue tracking and support ticketing is so that the information is available to everyone on the team (including future hires), and well organised when people what to find it. If it all lives in email then nobody has a complete picture and it is disorganised, especially if there are emails covering 29 topics across multiple clients and software projects.

Here is what Scott Hanselman has to say about email: https://www.hanselman.com/blog/do-they-deserve-the-gift-of-your-keystrokes

Hello! I am not the most skilled GTD-er in the group, but I can relate to what you're describing. Being the go-to person with so many areas of focus can be stressful. For me, the constant set-shifting was always tough.

I wonder if it might help to begin creating checklists for some of the most common questions you get from employees. It might be that there are no patterns and every question is unique, but maybe, for at least some of the questions you get, you could develop a template that either helps employees with decision-making/making requests or speeds up your ability to respond with the needed information.

For example, they may assign me a ticket with a question and I send an email to the client and wait for a reply. After a week, I should follow up on this if I haven't heard back before. Would you then set that up as a reminder in the project management software? Or put it into your GTD system?
@Chocolate Factory I think this introductory 5-minute video shows how it is done in Nozbe: https://youtu.be/IvTR6LcjazU. Every team member can have private Projects/Actions and shared Projects/Actions. The whole communication about Projects and Actions is done inside Nozbe.

Control and perspective. Both are needed. Without any of these, the other falls apart soon.
As in this case of "I do not have time to stop and take time to make time". (and it is not unusual...on the contrary)

So lets create gradually more control and more perspective (will be probably an iterative process, jumping between these).
-----------
PREP:
1. write down what is the BARE minimum of interactions on which your business can survive without you being the center of its galaxy. Just for a day or two.
2. Commit to give the business only those minutes/hours - in batches (once-twice a day). You will use the rest of the time. Switch off notifications, close doors, tell somebody close to open the door only if there is fire alarm/lifes at stake.
3. now start working WITHOUT your phone/computer in the room only with PAPER/PEN/BRAIN.
--------
WORK:
1. write down everything coming to your mind (do a big mindsweep = min 1 h uninterrupted, work and private stuff, without judgement)
PAUSE 1-2 h
2. Clarify it - use the algorithm, do not forget Q5. (3-4 h, it will be tiring! - take breaks every now and then)
PAUSE 1-2 H, SLEEP?
3. Give 30 mins to think about your areas of focus, go back to step 1 and 2 to see how they match and if anything new comes to your mind. No need to sort anything yet (e.g. pair projects and AoF)
this proces will take min half a day (reserve a day) and you will be braindead at the end - but your sense of control and perspective will slightly improve
eventually you might feel like vomiting when your list will contain 150+ commitments - please note that you do not CREATE anything by this process, you just discover what is already there - so you will see a clearer picture of your world and yourself in it.
(note: stench cannot be avoided, unless you get rid of the source)
4. sleep on it and go back to your Project and Next Actions list and check how many items do not contain any verbs. Adjust.

now you will be ready to start with a reasonable map in your hand.
-------

when you did this - come back here and lets discuss further.

-------
a good GTD guide/trainer/coach will make this much less painful - find somebody in your region.
s/he will ensure that your actions and projects are properly stated (the more intelligent someone, the more mistakes they do - simply because their smart brain tries to overplan like crazy). Not even Tiger Woods can make the second shot on a golf green before the first...

Jees, you want to train for Ironman alone or with an experienced trainer?

Last edited:
I have long tried to implement something like GTD, but I am always so stressed out and busy with my daily workload and I never find the time to actually implement it.
I read the book a long time ago and I've recently also started listening to the audiobook. So I feel I understand the basic principles.
But where I struggle is actually implementing the system. I find the book way too abstract. I understand that it's a methodology, but what I'm looking for is something more hands on, like: "Ok, here's you do it with this tool. Get started with this and once you've got the hang of it, you can try adapting it to your own needs."

The biggest issue for me is that I am a business owner under a massive workload.
Or, actually the workload probably isn't even the issue, but it's the distractions.
Emails, chat messages from at least 4-5 different messaging platforms, phone calls, people talking to me in person. I feel I never get anything done and that I'm always behind. I get stressed out by unread emails (I also always mark them as unread again, which of course only makes things worse).
The distractions absolutely kill my productivity, I can almost never really concentrate on a task, except late at night. So I also always put off tasks that require concentration and rather work on tasks that I can solve quickly, even if they are less important or urgent, just to feel a sense of accomplishment.

I'm not sure if GTD can help with this. I guess the answer is probably yes, but I've still not been able to implement it.
I've been thinking about just buying one of the Udemy courses and getting to it, but I'm not sure if that's really the answer.

When one of my employees asks me a question over chat, I always feel the need to reply right away because I'm worried they'll otherwise be stuck with their work, we won't be able to make the client happy etc.
The same with clients, who also often communicate over chat - I get the notification and then immediately have to assess if it's something important and how to react. I actually usually try to just respond right away just to get it out of the way, so it doesn't become yet another thing I have to keep track of and try not to forget.

With email, it's especially difficult because they're rarely something I just need to reply to.
I would usually have to talk to different people (arrange a meeting, discuss, maybe send an email etc.) before I can reply to the emails. So those emails would usually actually become projects in themselves, so I wouldn't even know where to start with them. Do I just add a project "Reply to email from Bob from June 7" and then create next actions like "Ask Alice when we can have the report for Bob ready?" - or actually, something more realistic might be: "Call for a meeting with the team to discuss the report for Bob" - answering Bob's question when the report will be ready might take several meetings. And there may be more questions in that email than just "Hey, when will the report be ready?"

I'm feeling so stressed out and overwhelmed that I just don't know where to start.
The general advice seems to be "Just read the book and implement the system the way that fits your needs", but that is way too vague for me.
At my current stress levels I need SIMPLE solutions just to get started, I don't have the mental capacity to figure out some creative approach.

Maybe someone can resonate with this and has found a way out.
Would also be happy to pay for a course or so, if it really helps. I just really have to fix this.
I'm under constant stress and always scared I'll forget something, I find myself procrastinating and just feel I get very little done, despite working pretty much 24/7 - simply because all the distractions keep me from ever reaching a state of "deep work". I'm just constantly switching between 5-minute tasks, never doing anything properly, and then actually not even billing clients for my time because I find it impossible to keep track of the little "3 minutes here", "4 minutes there" stuff...

Just where can I get started to get out of this mess? I can't be the first person struggling with this.
I want to hire someone to reduce my workload, but before that, I feel that I have to get more organized myself, so I have a system in place, and don't just dump the whole mess on someone else.

And I actually don't even think the workload is the problem, it's the distractions that create the stress... When I was in a different time zone (9h difference or so), it was amazing because there was almost no overlap with my team and clients. I'd spend maybe an hour a day going over my emails, replying to everyone, then I'd have the rest of the day to myself. And then they'd reply back while I was asleep. It was pure bliss. I'd like to get back to something like that...
@Chocolate Factory,

You bring me back to basics . . . thank you very much

Ultimately, 'everything' outside of God is a dynamic system with varying degrees of changes and randomness one must either control/manage or be prepared respond to as appropriately/best as possible

As such, the fewer 'dynamic systems' one is obliged to control/manage the more reserve capacity one has for appropriately responding to life's infinitely random and undiscriminating 'dynamic systems' that can sometimes gravely undermine one's concerns and well being no matter how much one has it seemingly together . . . and as such "reserve capacity" is as prepared for the unknown as one can be

Ps. I have humbly learned to save myself a lot of wasted time-&-effort in worrying about innumerable particular things that can go wrong and simply focus on the 'system'/plan/etc. weaknesses [like depending on others] if anything in general goes 'wrong' is better and much, much easier

When asked "What can go wrong" . . . my response is "I don't know what can go wrong" . . . what I do know is that something can go wrong and that is the only thing I really need to know

Moral of the story: Anything can go wrong . . . now what . . . as few systems as possible is a good start . . . fewer systems . . . fewer uncertainties?

Of course all of this meaningless to the adolescent-minded who move-on without qualm pf conscience with carnage, chaos, mayhem, etc. trail behind them

Quick-tip: Avoid the adolescent-minded . . . LOL . . . if only easier said than done in identifying children impersonating adults

As you see GTD fit. . . .

Last edited: