How to structure your Reference Material?

mcogilvie

Registered
@TesTeq In the Johnny Decimal system one of the core ideas is to have an index on the folder structure (not the individual contents in the folders). That removes the need to remember where what is. | Although that adds a step that you don't have when the single level folder structure is it's own index.

There is a numbering system used where I work that makes absolutely no sense () but there is something there when it comes to the frequently used folders - you know the numbers from memory. If you add a folder in between, you lose the association where the folder is located next to. And I know from experience this causes me friction.

I have a pretty good knowledge of the QC section of the Library of Congress system and a pretty good visual memory. I used to amaze graduate students by taking them right to the books we needed to refer to. I say “used to” because the head of our library system closed our departmental library this spring, and now there is no direct access to any of the books. Some recent books are available electronically through various mechanisms. I know that times change and we change in them (“tempora mutant, et mutantur in illis”), but I do sometimes think of the burning of the Great Library of Alexandria two thousand years ago, and what we are gaining and losing.

Oogiem

Registered
do sometimes think of the burning of the Great Library of Alexandria two thousand years ago, and what we are gaining and losing.
Hypatia is my heroine. What we lost in that fie is horrific to contemplate.

And yes, I DO know that the library probably didn't exist when she was laive she is the the epitome of a Librarian to me.

RomanS

Registered
I found something interesting about a week ago, I think it's worth a check. https://johnnydecimal.com/
And it seems, that Johnny.Decimal is a system, that corresponds to David Allens idea of the perfect filing system. In his paper "GENERAL REFERENCE FILING" David Allen has written: "The ultimate filing system files by number with a computerized cross-reference database that tags topics with specific files." Or do I misunderstand him?

gtdstudente

Registered
GTD recommends storing reference material in alphabetical order. Topic folders should only be created cautiously. How do you do this with digital material?

A) Put it in alphabetical and thematic folders?

\ A - C \ a.pdf
\ C - Checklists \ a.xlsx
\ D - G \
\ G - GTG \

B) Put your topic folders in the alphabetical folders?

\ A - C \ Checklists \ a.xlsx
\ A - C \ a.pdf

C) Or do you limit yourself to topic folders and save all other files directly on the top level?

\ Checklists \ a.xlsx
\ GTD \ a.pdf
a.docx
b.pdf
Like "mcogilvie" my reference, like everything revolves around/above including horizons, '[Four] Areas of Focus'. Alphabetical Order under my 'memory max' Four Focus Areas : 1. DIVINE (Sundays for Deep-Dive), 2. HEALTH (includes everything to do with health: GTD, other persons, medical records, vacations, etc. and Tuesdays for Deep-Dive), 3. UTILITY/TOOLS (Appliances, Car, Decorations, Flowers, Home, Digital, etc. and Thursdays for Deep-Dive), and 4. FISCAL with Saturdays for Deep Dive. As such, my Project/Next Action Support Files are Gold, Red, Blue, and Green., which keeps my Support Materials Self-Evidently Color-Coded Aligned with my Areas-of-Focus [Check-Lists, Horizons, Projects, and Next Actions, etc.] . . . @Calls, @Computer, @Errands (Cars, Roads, Public Transit, Sidewalks, viz., Stores, etc. are all Utilities, hence the blue), @Agendas. "@" are gold and simply express one's God given ability to reason, unless of course one believes they gave themselves their own soul and its intellect faculty then they might want to go with red if interested in the color scheme herein. The Deep-Dive Days are not rigidly held, more like putting on specific attire, its' just away I keep myself accountable to the commitment/concern/obligation to prevent anything to be finished from becoming 'eternal'. I mention all of this since "Reference" is the Alpha-Omega of my GTD system, as such, if materials of a completed Project(s)/Horizon(s) is going to end up anywhere, its going to end-up in "Reference" or mirrored its "Archive." Does this makes GTD sense? Thank you

Last edited:

gtdstudente

Registered
I have a pretty good knowledge of the QC section of the Library of Congress system and a pretty good visual memory. I used to amaze graduate students by taking them right to the books we needed to refer to. I say “used to” because the head of our library system closed our departmental library this spring, and now there is no direct access to any of the books. Some recent books are available electronically through various mechanisms. I know that times change and we change in them (“tempora mutant, et mutantur in illis”), but I do sometimes think of the burning of the Great Library of Alexandria two thousand years ago, and what we are gaining and losing.
Agreed

gtdstudente

Registered
@Lauri IMHO it's a step backwards in out quest toward stressless productivity. @mcogilvie

Johnny Decimal adds unnecessary complexity to simple problem. Does he really think that it's easier to remember "11" than "Finance.Tax_returns"? His system is limited to numbers "00" to "99" (ten main categories, ten subcategories in each main category). And after this two-digit category number there's more - two digit item (folder) counter. Beyond 100 items (folders) in any category you're stuck.

"12.03 Payroll schedule 2018" is the most funny example of illogical numbering. Isn't "Finance/Payroll/2018_Schedule" simpler and better?
Agree with Tes in that, while numeral systems have their place, I prefer some more intuitive like "Finance/Payroll/2018_Schedule" or "Finance/Tax/2018, 2017, 2016, etc." Sometimes we can be fooled in thinking Academic, Corporate, Government systems are better than Personal systems, while forgetting 'mega-systems' are ultimately built on Personal systems?

Last edited: