Hypothetical

TPorter2

Registered
Here is a hypothetical. Let's say you are a Starbucks Barista. And you discovered GTD, read the book and would like to put its principles to work in your job. How do you go about it?

Well, I know nothing about the job demands for a Starbucks Barista other than what I see from the other side of the counter. I'm sure there is a list of routine tasks that needs to be accomplished. Your actual work is coming in as drinks that need to be made, and they are all deadline tasks because someone is waiting for it. You may be able to batch process some tasks, I don't know.

I'm aware GTD is really meant for knowledge workers, but I thought this was worth exploring. It is in the implementation, the adaption to your own job's needs that this system makes such a difference.

V

vegheadjones

Do you want to be a barista all your life? If no, then you should have defined projects based on what other outcomes you want to happen in life, and have next actions related to them. It could be learning different things in Starbucks or learning different hings outside of it.

We are all knowledge workers. Even if our actual job is not, as human beings we are constantly collecting information. GTD is a framework that shous you how to process, organize review, and do something with it, in all aspects of your life.

eeckberg

Registered
Hypothetical

Very few jobs of that type are 100% customer service. There are periods of time when there are no customers to wait on. In some cases, shifts overlap and the first hour may be a preparation function instead of a customer service function. It's at those times that an @Work list of next actions could come into play.

Keep a spiral notebook close by to capture any "stuff" that occurs during the course of the day ("opened last case of cups 10am", "bank across street training all branch managers next week", "lady in red Camry's backup lights didn't work"). When you have some free time, you would process this "in basket" just as if it was a physical basket. The first two items are < 2 min announcements to the manager or shift supervisor. What would you think of an employee's performance who was able to keep up with things like cups and local activities? What would that semi-regular customer think when her backup lights are brought up the next time she came in, even if it's three days from now (assuming you're the one working that day)?

As you've probably guessed, I believe it's possible to apply GTD in some fashion just about anywhere. If it can't really be applied on the job, then use it for the rest of what goes on in your life.

E

emp

... probably not the regular tasks, but

For all the "regular" tasks, GTD might not be needed.
(So no project plans like "make grande latte" for you.)

But I know from own experience that even the dullest labor has its non-regular projects.

These often include agendas:
@Leon
-Talk about the trash situation.... scheduling?
@Boss
- Need new cups, a lot are chipped-customers are complaining.

Or maybe you can take some notes about preparations or important tasks.
@work
- extra, extra cleaning of the kitchen on Sat... also see Agenda Leon

and like eeckberg said, events or other importants, like the bank training all of its managers.
(This might go into seceral categories spanning several actions)
@work
- order extra coffee week 34
@Boss
- talk about specials for the bank

@bank manager
- talk about specials

As you see, this will work to get you into a productive work-environment.
You might want to keep those notes on a small notepad (in Germany, this type is called a waiter-notepad, "Kellnerblock") that you can tuck away in a pocket or similar.

The biggest (and most exciting) part of this would (of course) be the projects that further your career (in Starbucks or out of that company) or your personal development.

my $ .02
</rant>

:::emp:::